A new design of flashlight hits the market for $50. Another brand copies it. At what point do you not buy the original?

I almost made the last option a complete opt-out, but I was worried it would allow voters to not challenge themselves and avoid the spectrum of choice.

I intentionally didn’t lay out a whole scenario. I wanted the question to be simple, like the choice between two sellers online. And avoid real examples that could trigger anger.
I also didn’t want to create an argument about the nuances of fairness. I know the BLF community have a pulse on the marketplace, but again, that would have got into nuances.

In short, the poll is hopefully just interesting.

You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that’s clear
I will choose free will

EDIT, I modded this next verse because it seems to fit the clone theme
Feel free to re-edit
:slight_smile:

Each of us
A (Samsung) cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete (Missing Parts)
Genetic blends (Clones)
With uncertain ends (Bad Tailcap Threads)
On a fortune hunt (for the Budget Light Forum Holy Grail)
That’s far too fleet (Not Greta Van Fleet)

Apologies to;

Rush
Freewill

But it’s not simple. It’s the sort of thing where the entirety of meaningful discussion happens within the nuances.

For some clone products, I’d buy it even if it cost more than the original. For others, I wouldn’t buy it even if someone paid me to take it. The price is only one factor; most of what matters is omitted from the question.

Andrew Debbie. Knives.

“”I have been cooking with the same set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels kitchen knives for over 25 years. The current price for a close match to our set is around £300.

I’ve eyed some of the Japanese ones but the prices are insane”“”

Yes. But as always, there are runarounds.

Several makers do very nice good material blades for almost sensible prices.
Starting out. Just to get the feel of Handles and lightness of blades.
Go to “HOCHO KNIVES”. There are others but these a very good starter.

Tojiro. Iseya. are good basic brands.
Tojiro being one of the favourite commercial knives on market.
VG10 triple lam. Western handles. Decent price. Bloody good knives for general cook work
I love them and have gone no further. Apart from a coupla show and feel exxy blades.
Wusthof sit in drawer nowadays.

Iseya a little fancier. slightly more exxy. Then shoot for the mooon.
A set of 3 will cover all.

Petty. 5 or 6 in.
Santoku 6 or 71\2 in. Or 6in cleaver style. Both good.
and a 8 in chef.
With a Wusthof or other heavy western for bones etc.
I also use a 3 in cheap plastic handle Paring knife cost $3.50 10\12 yrs ago.

There are also Basic single sided cheap knives. that also do good job.
VERY basic to see and feel. (($20 to around $60)
but watch your fingers.

NARIHIRA 9000 ser. DOn’t let the price fool you. Just learn to sharpen the single sided cutting edge.
Traditional Jap.
Chef’s DEBA 150mm $32.
————Aji-Kiri 105mm $24.
———-Nakiri (Vegetable 160mm $27.
That set … (IF you like the style. Buy ONE first to check. They very different)
WILL do all you need in the home kitchen.

A blunt jap is sharper than a slim Wusthof believe me.
They a different world.
Those prices do NOT incl freight from Japan to wherever.

I think you are wanting to science this thing. Maybe a questionnaire or other thorough exam. I could totally do that. My 7th grade teacher forced us to do science fair, which I easily won 1st place at regionals (then was told I was too young to be allowed at nationals).
But this was just a casual inquiry for now. Perhaps some day, with more planning, I will science the crap out of it. But today’s my birthday, and I’m just chilling.

Happy birthday :beer:

Your design is “prior art” and the patent should never have been granted. Can you prove that your design existed before they applied for their patent? You can actually apply to the Patent Office to have the patent cancelled. Just in case the “large company” ever tries to give you grief…

Unfortunately, the US Patent law was changed several years ago and “Prior Art” is no longer a consideration. First to pay up gets the patent now.

Happy Birthday Joshk!

Thanks Muto :slight_smile:

You were first to market? That’s a slam dunk. Find an invoice that pre-dates their patent. And a pic of what you were selling. Their patent is toast.

That’s what I want to know too. The poll assumes that there is a point at which I would knowingly buy an item that ripped of someone else’s hard work to save myself money. The truth is that even if I can’t afford the original, and I can easily afford the knockoff, I will not buy it.

That’s awesome. You can select the last answer if you like. I may revisit this someday and put more effort into it, and I will re-read everyone’s feedback when I set that up. It would likely be a survey with multiple questions to make it better.
For a short answer on why this poll didn’t specifically cover that, I’d refer to post 41: “I almost made the last option a complete opt-out, but I was worried it would allow voters to not challenge themselves and avoid the spectrum of choice.”

A manufacture should earn their profit and cost of development could be high. But if another company can do it at half the price they are asking to much imo.

I think you summed up the results of the poll nicely polarweis. It seems somewhere around 1/2 price most people turn on the original and call it overpriced.

Apple copied (bought the rights, sort of) from Xerox
Bill Gates stated in this context as follows, “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”
Apple later developed IOS from a UNIX kernel
Touchscreens were first developed in 65, and restive in the 70’s
IBM Simon was the first touchscreen phone
iPhone came out in July 2007, Android Sept 2008. Both were being developed at roughly the same time.
HTC was the first android smartphone Sept 2008.
Apple beat the Android competition to the market by 10 months. Samsung didn’t have a smartphone for another year, but if they copied anyone, it was HTC.
Steve Jobs misquoted Tennyson, attributing it to Picasso: “Good artists copy; great artists steal.

This isn’t a question of technology. This is literally about making a counterfeit product.