A new design of flashlight hits the market for $50. Another brand copies it. At what point do you not buy the original?

A counterfeit requires willful deception that it is the EXACT product it’s copying, not just something with similar aesthetics.

Do we have a clear picture of the clone’s logo yet? The radiation symbol in itself isn’t exclusive to Hanko lights.

In the world of watches basically every brand has an “homage” of the Rolex Submariner (itself being HEAVILY inspired by other dive watches) but the branding is different so there’s no issue.

Watch out Bilakos10… :open_mouth:

Lol he should sue all the sharps disposal bin manufacturers.

Above.

Yep.
I an wearing a 18yr old Citizen solar. Straight copy of original Rolex.
Cost me $470AUD then.

Son has another one . Name? (he’s 4000km away) same as to look at.
Cost him $47 he keeeps telling me.
All three give accurate time All over 10 yrs old.

Basically It’s $10 grand for a name. The interiors HAVE to be reasonable quality to last that long
With perfect accuracy. Mine is 20bar depth.

These lights and knives.

The named custom jobs have their market. Where MOST will never go
regardless.

Where is the problem. (As long as it not blatant cloning. Name etc on knife.)
and they NOT the same quality.

Cheaper IS better. for the ones that CAN’T afford the $1000etc items
Everything has been copied from ADAM down (EVE)

I cant justify 1500 for a light, how much i like it. Hopefully the China clone will be around 50, i’ll buy it.

The question was not about the Hanko clone unless Hanko’s lights go for $50 nowadays. It was about abstract $50 flashlight being copied. Not counterfeited. Copied.

There are counterfeit/copy. Rolex around Named as such.
Though not so many nowadays.

Everybody in the world who designed built something usable.
Has had it copied.
The way of the world hey.

Used to be, “”You can do it. I can do it better.”
Nowadays replace that with cheaper hey.

I remember when US boasted about drilling three needle holes in some small item.
Japan sent them a Womans Darning needle back.
with three perfectly Symetrical holes drilled in tip of it.

There’s always somebody.

As long as you don’t put their name on your copy,. and do ONE part different.
It’s fine in my eyes. Just putting more choices into the market.
At BOTH Quality and Financial ends of it.

And YES. I do buy the Good copy’s.

Do $1500 mass-produced lights exist? I think that price range belongs to art.

My point exactly, he said

and I was stating that wasn’t the case here, and maybe not even with the Hanko clone.

Yeah, i don’t like art. Most stuff is overrated. Never understood why art is that expensive.
I do like old art though, like Rembrandt or van Gogh.

But technical stuff is hard to justify as art.
If that’s the case, even i could make art, but probably nobody would buy it

I bought a Sofirm C01 when the Fenix E01 was no longer being made by Fenix and Amazon sellers jacked the price up 500%. Turns out the C01 with a Yuji was a better flashlight imo.

I bought a chinese made replica of a 1973 Evel Kneivel watch for two reasons… well three.
First I wanted it, second it was made of same Seiko parts as the original and third, finding an original is like finding an honest man in Parlament. Bonus; it’s quartz drive instead of hand wind, so like the C01 the copy is better than the original.