A Perfect Dedome?

LEDseal dries just like clear RTV silicone, clearcoat most definitely is not even remotely similar, except that both are clear and come in an aerosol can.

Generally, you should get double the kcd, so should be bout 340. If you are getting less, probably needs more focus tweaking. Just be sure you do your before/after measurements same way - same distance for example. Of course assumes same amps, but a TK61 should hold the same amps.

Just attempted my first dedome. Dunked my XML in gasoline for about 16 hours, then the dome just fell off as I was removing the star from the gas. I was really pleased with myself till I inspected the led and noticed the bond wires floated off with the dome. not sure what I did wrong…

Does it still light up?

I’ve never done the gas method with old XM-L. These old XM-L seems to have several bond wires on the die surface while the XM-L2 has none, not sure if this is the reason? I have 100% successful rate with XM-L2 so far.

Me too - 100% success, but also I do only XM-L2's and XP-G2's. I experimented with XML's early on and didn't see this problem either. Certainly never saw the bond wires come off with the dome from the gas method. I might have broken them once or twice in my attempt to clean off the remnants of the silicone with a toothpick.

Is there a chance it could still work without the wires?

Its an old XML i pulled from a cheapy aspheric. I didn’t even try it after I noticed the bond wires gone. they were still embedded in the dome when i fished it out of the gas.

I see the XML2 has 1 fewer bonding wires, do they seem more durable?

EDIT: just tried it, and its definitely dead.

I would suggest that you avoid cleaning of residues around the wires if you don't have 20x magnification(even if they stay that will not harm). And probably this happened: When you pulled that out from gas with pliers or any other tool you accident touched the wires or led flipped up in that gas jug and they broke.

This is great old thread from Tom...

A great thread indeed Li

To pdog68: It is definitely not normal to have that happen. I hardly ever loose a led to gasoline dedoming. In fact I cannot remember I ever did. Also I did scores of the XM-L's a while a go since I got them cheap off a sale on ali express. Installed a lot of those dedomed in smaller lights for friends. I must have done 30 because I don't think I have anymore left and I bought 30 in 3 lots of 10 each.

Better luck next time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I made a little cradle from small wire to handle the star, so I know for sure nothing touched the led. Must have just been a freak accident.

I’ll try again when I get some new stars

I have just done a gasoline xml2 dedome and while cleaning the left over with a toothpick, i have accidentally removed the tiny wire at the side of the die. i have test the led and it still works, Anyone know what is the function of that tiny wire and what purpose does it serve??

Nice try alltoclear :wink: that’s one of mine from the cpf thread :slight_smile:
But yes the led will still work without that wire, I’ve always assumed it’s the ground wire, unless someone knows different.
Doesn’t seem to effect it either way so I just ignore it.

Sorry mate, got to borrow your pic as my crappy cam cant capture a nice close up shot and the one i dedomed look exactly the one in the pic with the wire broken off :slight_smile: wondering if it does not serve a propose, why is it there in the 1st place. :quest: but it still work though

No worries, I don’t know, as I say I always thought it was the ground wire, but all the ones I have de domed it doesn’t make a difference if it’s there or not!

That wire is not for ground, but for EMG (emissions) I believe(oops) ESD. Can't recall exactly, but someone way back said what it was for. From our understanding, totally harmless if broken - won't effect output.

?? Not sure of effect. We thought it was harmless.

That's ESD diode wire(diode is tiny black dot).

Ahhh, thanks! Do you know if it's ok if broken? Maybe susceptible to ESD issues? Not sure if that's an extra risk?

Soak my XP-E2 R4 1C overnight and last night when I took it out and clean it its bond wires were broken.

Does XM-L2 has thicker bond wires thanthe XP-E2? Or are they the same? The XP-E2 is too tiny and looks too fragile to me.

They all have fragile wires,

The thing that could happen is that silicone dome was partly merged with that tiny wires(it was not completely off when you came) so when you used some kind of bath for dome cleaning(I use isopropyl alcohol) that bath took silicone dome off completely but in that move silicone dome managed to bend and crack those tiny wires since it was still merged with them.

Yeah it could also be that. I have soaked it in the gas for almost 24 hours, maybe I should soak it even longer next time and wait until it fully removed by itself.

That is long time... My usually fells down in less than 8 hours but I do following:

Cut around dome base with razor or scalpel. Just gently and slightly cut around dome bottom - you have to watch out to not cut into wires. That way gasoline will enter sooner in silicone.

Try that and check after 8 hours. Dome should fell off. Put in Isoproply alcohol bath. Wait until drys. Use magnifier glasses (20X magnification) and gently clean silicone residues around dome(but watch out on wires).

Use high octane gasoline.