Am I the only one who wants to run an XHP with a single cell!?!?!?

I don’t understand what I’m seeing. I got my 8 yr old to touch the probes of the DMM to the cell while I held a 12ga solid lead to positive and a 12ga Turnigy lead to negative.

Before I turned it on, the DMM showed 4.08V. Turning it on in Turbo showed me 1.71V? I don’t get it? Can it really be knocking this fat 26650 down that hard?

Edit: When I took measurements the other day and posted current draw and such, it was on my JM26 with XHP-70 and the DQG Tiny boost driver. The measurements I’m taking today are actually IN a DQG Tiny triple XP-G2.

Thanks comfy, my mistake. It’s been a while since we looked at that thing. If I had taken the time to read the resistor values you listed I would have realized that you were correct!

Actually I’m still waiting on a delivery of switches, which makes me wonder if I should be opening a dispute soon. I’ll have to check the order date.

I rigged up new leads on my DMM tonight and took some measurements. Sony 50a 26650 = 4.04v
Tail = 3.95a
Led = 1.61a

One thing I did notice about this driver is on low mode it flashes (assuming) to indicate low voltage but does not flash on the other modes???

If it flashes a single time in low that’s probably the indicator for switching mode groups.

The driver you linked to is recommending 2 or more batts. Did you do something to it to make it run on one?

I am neither knowledgeable or skilled enough to work on drivers. So it’s stock. I bought it to experiment if one cell would work and then picked a host when it did work.

The flash is a double flash. Low voltage according to KD.

Weird. I see that KD specifically mentions that anything below 5.7v will be detected as low voltage… but no mention is made of this only happening in “low” mode.

Does this kind of announcement from Coilcraft help us any?

Extremely low DCR (as low as 2.5 mOhms) and
ultra-low AC losses provide high efficiency across a range of frequencies (2 to 5+ MHz)
Inductance values as low as 92 nH - also optimized for high frequency operation
Superior current handling (up to 28.5 Amps) with soft saturation characteristics
Measure just 4.0 mm square with maximum heights
as low as 1.2 mm
Models qualified to AEC-Q200 Grade 1 (–40°C to +125°C) standards, making them ideal for automotive and other harsh environment applications

Doesn’t sound like a bad thing. “Soft” saturation is possibly a good thing, pending evaluation of the curves. Hopefully I’ll remember to look at this later when I’m not sick.

Sick? in late March? I hope you feel better soon - soup, warm showers, sleep, rest, TV, etc.

Actually, if you have the flu, its endemic and year-round.

Remember when we were young? The answer to everything was sex, drugs, and rock and roll? Well, that’s still the answer.

Watch an R rated movie, take Nyquil, rock yourself in the grandpa chair til you roll out onto the floor asleep. Problem solved. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are those inductors supposed to help us make smaller boost circuits instead of using the huge wire coiled ones?

Well, at least shallower driver pockets with such a low inductor height. Usually it’s the tallest component and these make a 5mm driver thickness possible which is about half what it normally is at best for a boost or buck driver. Take care Alex, sci-fi, scotch, and a nice hot soak followed by what Dale recommended. It won’t cure what ails you but when else are you gonna be able to do it? Or, take two of something illicit and hopefully wake up in the morning. Seriously, get some rest dude.

We all had Gastroenteritis last week,caused by the Norovirus and sometimes known as the winter vomiting bug in the UK. I felt dreadful, fortunately the worst of it only lasted 24 hours.

Flu in late December also, I’m getting the jab next year.

Those inductors are only available in the nH range. Not useful for what we need here.

Well, bummer! :-((

Still, it shows that they are improving their technology. Maybe they will make some newer, better chips for us soon as well! :smiley:

The chips and inductors are already available that can make this work. I just don't think it's worth the effort or price, but that's just me.

Olight is coming out with a few compact 1x26650 XHP lights (5.2 inches long) which are putting out some decent lumens (R50 at 2500 lumens and L5 at 3200 lumens).

Since we can’t make one ourselves, the next best thing may be to get an Olight or….vote for the 26350 Efest battery elsewhere in this forum.

Other have referenced this laser forum driver list - see voltage boost drivers on page 2:

I’m probably also in the minority that would like a boost driver for xhp emitters. I’ve been searching and have been unable to find an ld-35 or anything else that’s suitable. The ld-35 is the perfect size for a courui d01 and would allow use of an xhp70 without buying another light just to use the tube.