Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

This!

Yup, that one :wink:
It was near the hen house, ready to sneak in and make a visit to the chickens! We then saw it and tried to chase it away!
The genetta comes and goes, never had a real “issue” with it (as in, it never attacked or damaged or killed any of our animals).
But when it got hidden within the trees it was hard to follow with the flashlights I had (and zoom in was needed to find where it was)! Now I have an Amutorch AM30 that lights the whole village, so there’s less trouble finding it :smiley:

I see…. it was looking for a chicken dinner using your chickens. Not good. :wink:

Being a real fan of Sofirn's flashlights and their excellent customer service I must admit I'm fine with ANY new Sofirn light, whether it's a zoomie or no zoomie as long as Sofirn eventually stops using this bloody loctite glue in their flashlights, no matter if it's used to retain the driver in the head or just to keep the bezel tightened.

IT IS JUST WRONG!

There is no benefit using such horrible amounts of glue except for lots of downsides:

• Minor defects cannot be repaired as the light cannot be opened (except for brute force methods).
  • Perfectly fine running lights cannot be updated with alternative/newer emitters, i.e. no modding potential for these wonderful hosts.
  • Subsequently, as a result of this, your customers have to toss away their flashlights sooner or later.
  • Consequently, it's more or less an environmental, ecological issue, too.
  • And last but surely not least, with such amounts of glue the bezel cannot be tightened enough to enable enough pressure on the LED-board. I have checked quite some SP31s, SP32As, SF14s and many of them have a visible gap between the bezel and the head that would be much thinner if you refrained from using glue.
  • Once you manage to get the bezel loose and clean everything from those glue residues you find out that the "HOT" sign will not be in a consistent alignment with the switch and everything else anymore.

Here is a picture of Sofirn's SP32A V2.0 that could not be opened with any mechanical force (strap wrench). In the end, the only way to get it apart was using a blowtorch!

To me, there is no sense in using glue. If you want to prevent customers from opening up those lights just because of the warranty - don't use glue or at least not amounts like we see above. Acebeam, for instance, does not use glue and still has not reported any abusive behaviour when it comes to warranty claims.

Thanks for your summary of the problem with the glue.
It’s all right, what you have written.

That means they want to align the “HOT” to the switch and don’t want to give maximum pressure to the LED-board. If they would screw it harder, the LED-board could have enough pressure, but then the “HOT” will not fit. That shows what their priority is.

Please sofirn, let the priority on the functionality and not on the alignment of “HOT”or other things. And please do not glue your flashlights.
For the SP36 I wish to get retainer rings instead of glue.

+1 for NO Glue & FOR using driver retaining rings.

Just 2 days ago I wrote that I was not aware of any zooming TIR that would be a good match for a small light.
It looks that now I have found one.

Is 15.15mm a good size?

Yep. Threaded retaining rings are the respectful way to build flashlights.
Sofirn, there’s no honor in building the best disposable landfill flashlight.

You could announce a buyback/recycling program like many other erstwhile producers of landfill.

China has not yet confronted this trash problem. You could be a leader.
Here for example:

Bausch + Lomb Official Home Page.

Sorry guys for bugging you with more "glue-lights" but I would like to encourage Sofirn to reconsider using glue on their lights.

Here's a Sofirn SC31 that could only be opened with excessive heat treatment and massive force in a vise. In the end the XP-G3 was being desoldered.

Here you see two SP32A V2.0, untouched. Both flashlight's bezels are glued. The left one uses a lot of glue while the right one has obviously only a little glue in those threads. The bezel is absolutely tight and the "Hot" sign will remain at its position even when you need to dismantle the flashlight. Now, once you open up the left one and clean up the mess in the threads you find out that the "Hot" sign will not be at its original position but somewhere else.

I totally agree Lux-Perpetua. I really hope Sofirn will reconsider this move toward using glue & return to ‘No Glue’ & using driver retaining rings.

So far the Sofirn C8A is the best darn light I have owned, perfect size and bright as all getout.
It looks like it may have been discontinued at GearBest though , not sure why.
I see I can still order through AliExpress though as I would really like to have another one for testing.

I believe that it’s available on Amazon too.

Below is the link to the Sofirn Store on AliExpress…

And as PBWilson stated, Sofirn also has a store on Amazon.

I hate those damned things to begin with. Why can’t they (as in everyone) just slap on those little yellow stickers that can be peeled off if you don’t want ’em on there?

Like it takes an Einstein to figure out that the glowy end can get hot?

Exactly… :smiley: But, lest we forget the McDonald’s “hot coffee caper” several years ago. :person_facepalming:

When you need warnings like, “WARNING: cape does not enable the user to fly”, you know society is in deep trouble.

:smiley: . :smiley: …. Ain’t that the truth Lightbringer!! :+1:

I bought an invisibility cape and the warning sticker fell off.

Three months probation for flashing to a gaggle of octogenarian woman.

Bad example.

McDonald's coffee was served at a temperature between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

McDonald's had long known that this was 20 to 30 degrees hotter than the coffee served at most other restaurants.

Their extremely hot coffee caused third degree burns.

There is no good reason to serve coffee that hot.

EDIT: For those that are victim blaming, third degree burns are no joke.

Study up on the McDonald's hot coffee cases and you'll see the truth.

Oh well…. maybe that is one reason they started serving iced coffee.