Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

No one really cares about the inside cosmetics. Only the outside.

Would love to see an INSANE Sofirn, like a 6x XHP35 Hi thrower with fets (no boost/buck), with CPU style cooling. Sofirn makes nice quality lights, I believe they garner the respect to make extreme lights such as the DX80, MS12 …

The biggest problem is cooling and drivers. Sofirn makes really nice Fet drivers, just stay away from boost and bucks, IMHO they take too long to get them right, and most companies like Astrolux, Haikelite, Imalent … barely gets them right. Etc. their lights get a lot of the heat generated by the drivers, Mosfet drivers just plain work the most efficient.
Sofirn make something extreme with PC style cooling, with solid regulated fet drivers. You guys know it can be done and can be done at low cost with high output and LONG runtimes.

Sick and tired of BS lights that put out 10k, 20k, 30k 50, 60k lumens and cant run for more than 10-50 seconds on highest output and without burning your damn hands.
$600 for 60k lumens light that run for only seconds!?
WTF!

Personally I do not like all those edges, and the tail I find ugly. It is like the new Convoy C8, do not like the edges there too.

My opinion:

*make the bezel flat, or with three tiny cutouts (instead of the wide cutouts)

*keep the head design but make those edges much smoother, so round all corners, that already makes a huge difference for me

*start completely over with the tail, design a nice one (standard tail as in other flashlights is fine, I like the SP33 tail) that does not have those sharp corners.

*I like a standard fine knurling, as on the Sofirn C01, and especially like it if the knurling repeated on the tail section, and somewhere on the head as well.

That looks good Sofirn, Very nice.

Hey. I care about it.

I agree with djozz above about it's ugliness - doesn't look good to me. I would like to see some serious finning for heat dissipation though, not those shallow rings around the head.

Like the Fenix TK41?

More fins, a more uniform knurling on the battery tube (like the SP36) and a sleeker tail would make it look a bit more elegant in my opinion.

Is this for an XHP led and a 21700 or 26650?

Basically, I like it. :+1:

• Make the bezel cutouts smaller.
  • I like the head, just make the fins a bit deeper & maybe add 1 making them all a bit more narrow.
  • Battery tube looks great as is with no knurling. I really like this look.
  • Tailcap looks good as is.

Is this a 26650 or 21700 design??

With just a few ’minor’ changes, I think this is a winner!! :+1:

From my POV, those fins do not look pretty nor functional. Thinner, deeper and more fins would be better, imo. Those cuts on smaller fins seems unnecessary. Tail cap looks a little bit odd with lanyard holes not exactly matching the rest of the tail cap.

SC31 is a good flashlight. Great for a regular user who does not want to solve the charger, overheating the flashlight etc. The large control button is also a plus. People want more lumens, but they do not realize that the torch is heating up to full power, the battery is discharged in 30 minutes, etc. I made the SC31 pocket e.d.c. on battery 18350.

It looks good. Battery 26650?

is that a eagle eye x1r 18350 tube?

+1

How about this kind of solution for lanyard hole?

Is it triple LED or one LED? What LED?
Does it have tailcap switch or just one side switch to switch it on/off?
Can you share dimensions?

If the head is bigger then C8F it’s probably 26650.
I would like to see this design for 21700 but with one side switch only (no tailcap switch) and USB-C charging port on other side of side switch.

I have the same question. What battery tube is that?

Hey Sofirn. Maybe an 18350 version of the SC31 would sell better. The light output from the smaller form factor might seem more impressive. I’d buy (another) one.

Yes, Eagle Eye x1r. Tube and tail cap.

Awesome. Thanks.

FWIW, I like the bezel as is… good spacing on the crenelation and in SS for some toughness… well done there. I like the head ok but as has been said the fins need to be a little more functional than aesthetic. The battery tube accents are not good, either a raised square block design or a diamond knurling would probably fare better with the larger more aggressive head design. And the tail cap is ok, it could use some tweaking but it’s not horrible.

What is the intended emitter? That can go a long way towards determining the design factors. If this has a 50.2 and makes some lumens, then yeah, for sure the fins need to be closer, thinner, deeper. An XHP-70.2 would be good, or the original 70 with a TIR or diamond patterned reflector to smooth the beam. Something unique would be a pleasant change. :wink:

So many people so many ideas about aestetics. It is a tough question that Sofirn asks.

The x1r tube has a shorter thread. In the head of Sofirn it was necessary to insert a copper ring from a wire of about 2 millimeters in diameter.

It’s a good thing djozz, if we didn’t all have various perspectives every man in the world would chase the same woman. :wink:

Edit: It’s really difficult to design a light that doesn’t look like every other light in it’s class. This one, as laid out, is getting close to so many others. The On The Road X5 Pro, for example, is a 26650 light with a decent sized head to it…

So I think the thing to do may be to look at the competition, steer clear of what’s already been done, come up with something unique to catch people’s eye. Like the X5 Pro used a mechanical clicky in the normal e-switch position. Neat, don’t see that… so put in due diligence and find the path to your own greatness Sofirn, it will serve you well if you do so. :wink: