Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

On the MT09R, only a certain NW 70.2 that Texas_Ace had was able to measure 20-21K lumens and it pulled crazy amps to do it. Most other tints, CW, WW and certain NW, where in the 16K to 19K lumen range. So with 4 high drain 18650 cells, those certain versions he built was just barely getting there. So not easy at all.

Wait, are we talk'n MC lumens (Maukka calibrated) or MANU (manufacturer) lumens and at turn on or 30 secs? There's some big differences there. Thought I measured my MT03 TA at ~24K in MANU lumens, drop 12% for MC lumens, ~21K but think that was at turn ON - gotta re-check my numbers. At one point on my modded MT03, though I got as high at 27K but later re-testing was more like 25K. Obviously the cells can make a big difference. For a turn ON test, I'd use 25S's or the VTC5D.

Either way Sofirn has only designed the C8F at like 3500lm as their highest output thus far. Its not a simple step up to 20k without a ton of help…

Texas_Ace Lumen Tube calibrated to Maukka’s test light. TA tested and measured every MT09R that he assembled.

Are there any Amazon US coupons currently on SP10A v2?

Another recommendation/request from me is to make your lights have a matte finish. Matte black = :heart_eyes:

sadly, SC31 doesn’t sell well. Since we are making it for the muggle, the brightness need to be about 900 lumens of SC31S. We don’t think SST20 4000K 95CRI can reach that lumens. So we prefer SST20 6500K standard CRI for 900 lumens. We will make the decision according to the tests results.

@Sofirn, at least pick the 5000k version, since it is available with the same brightness bin.

Yeah, 5000K please. Not liking your newer cooler emitters.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, one major improvement Sofirn could make is to stop gluing its lights together.

It’s a hindrance for hobbyists, new or old, and the benefits to users don’t seem to justify it.

As far as on-board USB charging goes, I can see the convenience factor for some, but to me, it’s one of those things that’s great until it’s not.

Additional electronics, a vulnerable port that must be protected…etc…more potential failure points.

Make it a feature on general purpose, or casual lights, but keep the more serious tools simple.

Wow, that’s disappointing. The SC31 may not have that “wow” factor of other lights, but at least people won’t be setting things on fire, or turning the light into a curling-iron when letting it tailstand unattended.

I remember back when it was a major milestone when people would be able to squeeze 1000lm from a “P60” light. 800, 900, sure. 1000 was cause for celebration, as for the longest time it was almost unattainable. The light would cook itself to death trying.

And now people aren’t buying the SC31 because it’s “only” 900lm? :person_facepalming:

We want to make it 1000LM or even more, but we are worried that SP31V2 and Sp32A V2 will be affected, becuse the max power are not much different.

@Sofirn, since the SST-20 is throwier than the XP-L HI, why not try and make a Sofirn SP31 V3.0 with the SST-20 5000k?

Not only is the LED cheaper than the XP-L HI by quite a bit, but it also throws farther, so it would be a good direct upgrade to the SP31.

IMHO the main competition of the SC31 is the Wowtac series. When you compare both, the 2200mAh battery from the SC31 seems small compared to the 2600mAh battery included on the Wowtac A1/A2/A3. If such a vital component like the battery looks below the standard, people will wonder what else is below the standard.

I think it may sell better if the included battery had more capacity (and the price adjusted a bit for the higher cost).

How about a pocket clip for the SP33?

Really? That’s all it has? Don’t think I noticed…

In that case, I’d agree, yeah, absolutely definitely go with a nice high-capacity battery, and tout the extreeeeeeeeeeme runtimes!

The lower the maximum light output, the lower the maximum current, and the longer the runtime in general. Tout the runtime as, say, “3.4hrs on high!” if the current is 1A on high with a 3400mAH cell. Then point out the competition’s maximum runtime on high of 33min instead. :laughing:

Also? Point out the silliness in “extreme lumens”. Take a side-by-side shot of the SC31 at 900lm, and a “competitor’s light” of, say, 1100lm, and show the negligible visual difference. Throw some science at ’em, and point out that few people would even be able to pick the brighter light.

The muggle should appreciate the longer runtime in case the power goes out, etc., and the more useful it’d be before having to recharge the battery.

It seems we are really not good at looking design.

It’s for the bigger head than C8F’s. How do you guys think about it?

Interesting design in my humble opinion. It looks like a C8F with a 26650 tube on it or a good imitation of the short Convoy L2. What kind of light will this be? I'm really curious.

:+1:

Looking good body to me but what about the inside ?