APEX 5T6 5xCREE XM-L T6 4x18650 3000-Lumen 3-Mode LED Flashlight----Upgraded version from SolarStorm

I looked at the MTE as it appeared to have some cool features. I wasn’t convinced so
i let pass on by.Do you know if this thing can really throw and focus with the use of
special optics and reflector? Its certainly looks like it means business. It was fairly
expensive as well. Where’s a good source for this light

Aloha and welcome to BLF lols!

Thanks fishinfool

I could only find 2 places, one was the german site and the other here works out better in pounds better for me (also they throw in 2 batteries and a charger as well :beer: - there is a good video on the throw here - I have had one like it before and I can say they are just like a stage spot light that follows performers on stage with no spill. The great thing is the beam cuts through dust/air moisture and not give you that flair/bounce back that you typically get with led reflector’ed lights - I’ve noticed the UK one has the blinky modes of which I’m not happy but will change out the driver if I keep it.

Another thing I’ve read on the German forum is they are trying to get a 1 cell version made but IMO it will always be a monster anti pocket sized light (just see the size of the head 56mm diameter and half the overall length of the whole light) besides 2 cell’s will regulate better and have much longer run time and won’t suffer cell sag for output.

The postage killed it for me. It’s just not a “budget light” anymore at over $100.00 IMO.

OMG that is ~$200SGD here…. i can buy 40 macdonald fillet o fish meal here with the money! Indenial is right that’s really not a budget light :bigsmile:

Depends on how you define budget. Cost per lumen? I tell myself its way in budget!

I agree that it depends on one’s definition of budget.

Lumen output is just one feature I consider when buying a light; quality of workmanship, type of user interface, brand reputation for durability, reliability, etc., are also important. And from what I can discern, lumen claims are often exaggerated with such lights, to say the least….

Also, I have never personally paid for shipping for a $90.00 light!

Thinking of pulling the trigger, but have one last question, can it run with life battery at full regulation? or i’m only able to use li ion for full regulation? Had some a123 to spare from a project…

Same here… otherwise I might’ve done it.

Sorry guys, I still think this is good value- would love to know what it’s real OTF lumens are, especially after a few minutes.

Order placed!! thanks Ric.

sorry but to ask again, will A123 18650 stay in regulation or it will drop out?

Isn’t A123 cell 26650 sized? I dont think this light can accommodate that cell size.

My understanding of it is A123 is a manufacturer that produces both 18650 and 26650 batteries. The advantage to them is a higher maximum charge rate and safety e.g. they won't explode. The disadvantage is the lower voltage.

A123 is the lithium-ion company that just recently came out with news of a “breakthrough” technology that will change the landscape of electric vehicles. They allegedly don’t require a heating/cooling system to maintain proper battery temperature. What’s interesting is this comes just a few weeks after news came out suggesting they might go under. You know, another one of those iffy and/or failed energy companies getting millions of dollars in fed money. They’re a billion dollar company and still haven’t turned a profit.

yes it is the lower voltage that I’m afraid that make it not stay in regulation even when fully charged

Interesting thread on lipo batteries at the other place (I’m dajabec there).

Amazingly, the lipos had the same output but shorter runtime

A123 stopped production of 26650 and 18650 cells to venture off and make cells used in modern electric vehicles. GM and few others had signed up and a number of e-powered vehicles on the road use A123 technology. This news is over a year old …

if you have A123 18650’s or 26650 its a very stable cell. I use them for direct drive applications where a typical Li-ion spike would cook the LED.

Tecmo - I read a portion of the thread over at CPF . Why is a 3v cell being compared to a
cell with a nominal v of 3.7v operating 4.2v? I guess i missed something here? And i believe the cells were Li-co 3.7v vs a Life 3.0v. Cylindrical Li-polymer cells are just hitting the retail market

He says Tenergy LiFePO4 batteries which is 3.0 nominal. He compared them to regular AW cells to see the difference in brightness and runtime. Granted he used premium lights, but it looks like lifepo4 cells can keep up with lico batts at the expense of runtime (and protection).

s. sorry to derail this thread….