AstroLux S1 (BLF A6 Mark 2) Quick review. Coming soon in Red and Blue!

Side by side, it is visually pretty close on levels. I have not taken the driver out to check components, but the modes are the same. When I got the BLF A6 firmware loaded FET +7135 driver from RMM, the bike flasher was different, more of a beacon flash. The AstroLux S1 bike flasher is the same “stutter” flash as the original BLF A6, so in use it seems exactly the same as the original.

I will check the driver tonight when I get home and post some pics…

I think I recall that the later BLF A6 lights came with a cheap bad spring?

I, for one, am glad that a branding change was used for the Astrolux S1.

My reason has to do with what I have read about the BLF X6 (version 1). After the group buy for that light ended, various clones using the same name began appearing. Some of them compromised on components, however, so they were not the same light as the one sold in the group buy. That meant that the BLF X6 brand name was degraded. If you bought one used, for instance, you had to be certain that your were getting the original.

I do not know what will happen in the case of the Astrolux S1. It is possible that the high-quality components used in the original BLF A6 will remain. It is also possible that things like the copper MCPCB could eventually be swapped out for lesser components. Either way, however, the BLF A6 brand is not compromised.

I like that.

Same spring as the later batch. I actually like it better for spring bypass as it is real flexible and being made of thinner wire, compresses better after the bypass. Stock, no bypass, it is higher resistance than the first batch springs on the BLF A6…

I really like the name AstroLux, Great logo too. I think Banggood came up with a good one there, its a really cool name for a flashlight brand!

-

“Hey dude, check out my new AstroLux flashlight!” 8) 8) 8)

“Hey dude, check out my new Ur-Anus-Fire flashlight!” :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless:

No pics on the driver, I would have to de-solder them and do not have time or inclination tonight. Plus then I would want to put 219C’s in them… etc, etc… The AstroLux I could sort of peek under from different angles (had to use a flashlight :bigsmile: ) due to longer wires, and it looks just like the original driver I had out previously, except for the spring… I really think the only thing changed is the logo, and they have an improvement in quality overall for fit and finish. Plus the 18350 tube now… woot!

Do all parts of A6 and S1 Lego? Same threading?

Yes, the first batch BLF A6 with the worse threads, it is a bit more loose with, but it works. Second batch BLF A6 and AstroLux S1 are mimics of each other.

I’m tempted to get the Astrolux because for the same price as the A6, it comes with the short tube. But I worry that they’re cutting corners. Does it use all the same parts as the latest A6?

I didnt take the driver out, but the driver looks the same, and acts the same. The LED and DTP board are the same, as is everything else I can tell. I would get it if you want the short tube included….

Thanks for review, ReManG ;)!

After read about all the problems of initial batch of BLF A6 this one with AstroLux branding looks more interesting, plus it comes with shorty tube which is great and the price goes down to 27-something $ with coupon, great!

If I didnt have two Convoy S2+(blue and red one’s) Id definitely get this one, much more of a light in the same package!

And the name, AstroLux, is really good one! I hope they will keep this name going and use it on some other, high quality lights!

I like the name AstroLux as well, think it fits well for a flashlight…

I do not want to come across as a fanboy for AstroLux or the BLF A6 because then you would be mistaking my low threshold (does it work and not fall apart while working) for being a fan. I truly think the AstroLux S1 is an upgrade from the first batch of BLF A6, of which I ordered ten with my code. All of those ten worked and had no issues except for the off color anodizing on about half… most were gifted and no one complained of any issues either…

I keep hoping to hear from other owners of the BLF A6 first batch that get an AstroLux S1 set as well…. I was pleasantly surprised when it was sent to me unsolicited for my work with the 18350 tubes. I think it is a cool evolution to have the short tube included with the long version….

All I know is I have purchased 6 of the a6 model and could not be happier. I have the stock tints, and have swapped a couple one with a 2b another with a nichia 219c all of which I keep in my pelican case (I know the lights are tough but I have 4 kids who could torture test them otherwise). I have since sent my friends to the astrolux offering as I felt it was the best bang for the buck at 30 shipped with the short tube. I for one thank you for all the efforts you and others have put towards these lights.

Neil

Yep- the one thing that was worse on the 2nd batch of the BLF A6. Mine is pretty bump-sensitive so it will be getting new springs. Still one heck of a light for the price.

It’s nice to have the Astrolux available as a source for the non-BLF’ers who see the BLF A6 and want one too, but OTOH that removes some of the ‘exclusivity’ of the “SE” part. Mixed feelings on that and on the extension of GB engraved light sales after the GB closes. Nobody said it would not happen so I may not have a right to complain.

One feeling that ain’t mixed is the “Astrolux” brand name; that’s a real winner especially compared to the “-Fire” names and such as Manker and Godmes.

Phil

It is nice that not only the original specification, but also the detailed comments have been taken seriously by the manufacturer and the retailer. The BLF designers don’t appear to have asked more than that we get the flashlight we wanted, and we got it.
It is nice that the second version appears to be improved, as quality often declines as production goes on.

Nice thorough review, one question that has popped up regarding parts used has to do with a capacitor and it’s behavior after the light has been in turbo long enough to get, not overheated but just hot. Conjecture has it that a lower spec capacitor is not handling the heat well and is degraded. Have you noticed any changes in the half press timing to change modes with use?

Nice case!

Looks like a perfect fit.

I will test tonight, I know what to look for. Honestly, I have just flicked through the modes and checked for mode change ability (Good) and memory on/off (Good too). I did not think to check for the time of press change…

My A6 has the timing issue when it get warm. It returns to normal after it cools.

Could this lead to a failure down the road ?

The capacitor's capacitance is varying with temperature.

All capacitors do that, but if you want less temperature dependent variance then you have to pay more for the capacitor.

Thus, it is Very Unlikely to lead to failure.