Astrolux S41 - presale ended

Seems that optics legs don`t have some visible step, this is one of the reasons why this screws were added.
Martin, can you measure ID of bezel`s thread?

Great video, thank you Martin :beer:

24mm

i dumb a did missread the first time…
outer diameter of the head is 27mm !

Thanks, very informative video!!. I am really happy with my s41

Please Martin, do you know if the switch is on sale in banggood?, I would like buy one unit for my old A6 (it has only one spring)

Thanks.
Too small for other quad optics.

But you want a new switch,because the A6 has one spring only?What is the connection?
I ask,because mine, has only one spring also.

I prefer a double spring for a 30Q abuse (for my BLF A6)…I could do a bypass but i like this new switch.

I don´t understand - what exactly do you mean with “possible abuse”? I´m asking since I plan to use the S1 tube to run it with a 18650 battery since the 18350 has only 700 mAh and is empty very quickly. The 3400 mAh Soshine protected seemed like a nice option for EDC use.

Btw, could anybody who already USED the light describe the light quality and tint of the Nichias? I see they used the previous generation (219b) version, not the current one, so is the typical natural Nichia color rendition present?

Thanks,
K.

The Nichia’s used do have nice color rendition. 5000K pure neutral white.
I think the “abuse” being referred to is, as has already been discussed in this thread, the fact that an 18650, with its greater capacity, and potential for significantly higher current, is much more likely to over-drive and over-heat the light beyond its ability to get rid of it.
The 18350, with its lower capacity, is less likely to do so.

Thanks M4D M4X for the video! I’m looking forward to my unit.

The abuse is mainly happening with high drain batteries, the light probably draws well over 10A, especially if springs are bypassed. The light gets very hot, even before a turbo timer dims the light to a lower level. A lower drain battery will not have this problem (but may cause LVP to kick in early).

If you shortcut pcb positive to head with 18650, you may have big badabum.
Protected cells are not compatible with fet drivers.

You mean that the switch is a combo with the spring?If it is so,I want such a combo too. :slight_smile:

Why not?

(I use one of my BLF A6:s with a Keeppower protected ICR 18650, never had a problem with it.)

Very valid concerns and you are not stirring the pot. The biggest dangers of these lights is the battery and a potential for a short like that dangerous. Do we know the inner dimensions of the head, will a standard quad optic and board fit in there?

Cause cell inside may have low (similar to unprotected cells) internal resistance and this means LOTS of current in this flashlight.
Protection circuit should simly shutoff voltage from discharger when current exceeds some value (usually about 5A).

No, even with custom bezel it won`t fit good.
Carclo might fit with little thicker glass, but I hate when 24mm real workable optics is under bezel/head that is 20.8 mm only.
But this light may be good for triple convertion. Hole optics will work and this is much prettier than Convoy S/A6 triple.

Yeah, the 45-second turbo timer was calibrated for the BLF A6, a single emitter running at ~5 amps. A quad should probably have a shorter timer, especially if the cell is 18650. The copper pill should help, but the timer might still be a bit long.

… and then there’s the potential for directly shorting BAT+ to BAT- if the screws cut through the MCPCB’s protective coating. A simple polarity change or wider keep-outs could have greatly reduced the impact of that risk.

Which is exactly (one of the things) the protection circuit in the cell is designed to do.
So forgive me for maybe beeing stupid, but I can’t see the problem (with using a protected cell).

In lights like this, protected cells consistently measure lower lumens and lower lux than unprotected cells. And on triples or quads, many protected cells trip due to overload.

If it physically fits, if you don’t mind the lower output, and if the protection doesn’t trip, protected cells are totally fine.

Lovin that copper. Wish the engravings could be of similar color instead of the typical white, to add some finishing touches.