Astrolux S41 - presale ended

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info and for the emitter gallery. Very helpful and now I know that I have the Nichia indeed. Had I received the paper manual as pictured on the BG website, I would have noticed the 5000k rating, but I didn’t look that up until after your post.

Thanks!

Wow, I got my Nichia version today… It is better than I expected, the solder on the MCPCB for the LED wires is ok. The screws look good, I can even see some thermal compound under one leg of the optics where it oozed out.

The only gripes I have are the tiny lanyard holes and the clip location. The actual clip is pretty nice, but rides a bit funny with the tail on the head. A new convoy clip makes it a deep(ish) carry on the last groove of the tail cap.

UI is good (as always with TK’s code). The finish is better than the BLF A6/Astrolux S1 on mine…

Now, question of the day for me is: do I swap in two 219B V1 4000K, or go all in with 219C’s?

For now I will just leave it alone and have some fun with it…

That’s why I’m hoping for a host version. I’d like to leave mine how it is, and have a host to do strange things with. Who knows what the possibilities are.

This is correct. I measured my S41 at 4700 K vs. 3960 K for the A01.

I was tempted to replicate my wide-spectrum BST in smaller form with the S41, giving it four different tints of XP-G2. Might be nice to have a smaller wide-spectrum light.

If you’re changing all the emitters anyway, it might be a thing to consider. :slight_smile:

(be warned though, it may not be easy to get the tint mixture right)

I use a Samsung 18650 30Q.

Ah, that rules out any low voltage detection with full battery, something else is going on…

Received mine today .
It’s unbelievable how small the light is …

…and how strong is the light that it is emerged from this.Especially when we put a 18650 battery. :slight_smile:

Can’t you just flip the wires around instead of re-flowing the emitters?

[quote=Sharpie]

[quote=RobertB

Can’t you just flip the wires around instead of re-flowing the emitters?

No, they are diodes. They only work one way around.[/quote]

Ah, thanks

I’m not familiar with the ‘wide spectrum’ approach using different led tints… but aren’t high CRI emitters exactly that - so no point in building a wide spectrum setup?

Mine is in the mailbox can’t wait to get off work, going to be a long day!

Nope. High CRI means the curve closely approximates the bell-like curve of a pure blackbody radiation source. Wide-spectrum is what happens when you take that curve and stretch it out sideways. It basically makes the edges brighter and the center dimmer, which produces artificially-vivid color rendering. It looks like what happens if you use a “vivid colors” filter on a photo, only in real life.

The main downside is that having different tints from different locations tends to produce rainbow-colored shadows. The edge of a shadow gets different tints at slightly different angles, so it ends up with several overlapping shadows of different color. But on a quad like this, that effect should be minimized compared to the Blackshadow Terminator I used.

Thanks for the explanation TK.

I just got my S41 an hour ago.

I put in a Efest 18350 900mAH protected charged 1 time it read 3.9 when i put it in the light. It worked great.
I attatched the 18650 NCR18650B 3400mAH protected brand new fully charged and it did not turn on. I flipped the tube and tried it again and it worked. Same thing happened with the 18350.

I then fully charged a brand new Efest 18350 900mAH and put that cell in the light. It turns on but when i get to the highest or last half click it flickers off. After it flickers off i give it a half click and it goes to the last mode right before the last half click.
The same thing happens with the 18650.

It also flickers on and off when i tighten the tail cap when putting the battery in.

As im typing this i just put in a Fenix ARB-L2-2600 Protected and it does not flicker and turn off like it does with the NCR18560B cell.

I am not a modder and dont know alot about the internals of lights and i am new to flashlights.

Any idea of whats going on with my light?

Thank you

I just tried a BRC 18650 4800mAHUltra Fire and it works just fine.

I don’t want to sound like an impatient turd, but I’m just curious if anyone knows about how long it will be before there is a coupon code? I’m having a hard time not jumping on this (even at the full price) and am wondering if I should hold off a bit longer. Any ideas?

I just tried a Xtar 16340 650mAH protected and it works just fine.

Sounds like i just have battery issues i guess.

Is it ok to use 16340 cells in this light?

Since it is out of stock, there is no reason not to wait. There will be a coupon or deal of the day on this eventually.