Astrolux S43S review (4x 219C, 18350/18650)

My S42 has been sitting around in pieces for a long time, just got disgusted, frustrated with it. Should have made a big fuss over it and maybe someone lurking in the shadows at Banggood would have listened. So now, we get the same junk in a prettier package.

Just cancelled my order… Luckily Bangood was back ordered on this item right now… Hopefully my refund runs smoothly… Thanks for the info!

As I said earlier, Banggood posted the wrong lumen specs for the S43 219C version on their website. You can look up the specs for the S42 as they are basically the same leds and FET driver design.

The S43S is designed differently with less resistance on both ends of the battery and pulls higher amps thus giving higher output.

The 2600 lumen was not a spec at all. It was what a user measured. I have no clue on the specifics of how it was measured and by what type of device. Without this info, I would disregard this measurement.

You seem upset. I knew all this before hand and still gladly bought the 219C version S43S. I guess we see things differently. :partying_face:

Funny you reference ArmyTek - they claim high tech all the way and have by far the worse methods of spec'ing lumens from any so-called high quality name manufacturer out there - "LED light output", what is that? What does that mean? Who cares because it's meaningless. At least they could make an attempt at ANSI/NEMA FL1, like others do, so you could compare. They did at least rate this particular light with OTF lumens as well, but from the ArmyTek web page:

• Efficient TIR-optics and no “tunnel vision” effect even after continuous use

ArmyTek and Astrolux do have some things in common. I got a D-E-D unfixable ArmyTek headlamp and Astrolux's, might be the only ones I have.

Does it look possible to buy a common 4x mcpcb from MTN along with the Carlco optics and just swap the leds over to the new mcpcb?

I don’t know if there is a difference is optics diameter.

I also don’t know why Astrolux went with this unique mcpcb/optics combo.

Nope, can't be done 24 mm vs. 22.1 mm diameter, and yes, I'm upset because no one else seems to be upset about continuous inferior quality designs that go on for years with continuing 5 star reviews, and even us that should know better, always see the brighter side of things I guess. I would like to see more independent critiques, and when something is amiss, say so and try to get the message back to the source, which seems impossible to do at times. Also what erks me is all this beautiful copper seems so wasted, wasting away precious watts on a 1-2 dollar savings on components.

Just makes me appreciate Hank at IOS, Richard, and many others that are pushing the industry in a better direction. Astrolux/Banggood seems like they are playing a game of deception - looks good, has many of the bells and whistles we want, at a price we want, but some things are lacking beneath the covers.

Eh, at least Texas_Ace got the driver and UI up to snuff.

Sure, the optics could be better, but besides a lack of optics efficiency, it still seems like a good light.

Ps, Most folks don’t care about efficiency. Sad, but true.

All true. For example, I don't see thermal regulation as an important issue - my hand lets me know these things, while for others it's a don't buy. For me the loss of 25% is a don't buy reason - I'm ok with losing 25% for some real benefit, like a nice milky white beam and high CRI for example, as opposed to a bluish bright white.

And here I thought Astrolux had nothing more to improve. Is it too soon for discussion on the S44. :smiling_imp:

Which seems the same as the one Manker is using for the E14 and E14 II (69.95:money_mouth_face: and most probably the Timeback II (159,95:money_mouth_face:.

Yep - the clipped optics looks the same and the thin 2 legs are there as well: http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e14-ii-2200-lumens-usb-rechargeable-flashlight-high-drain-18650-battery/

Thinner MCPCB, closer LED's, thick front plastic, thinner legs -- all the wrong decisions.

I got my S43S in today.
Test results are here.
I got same lumens as Maukka, but an amp draw of 18.6A with a 30Q.

I also noticed the bezel was losing output.

Did anybody try switching the S43S to the S42 bezel to see how much difference it might make in OTF lumens? I’m also interested in output numbers with the 18350 tube, since that’s what the light comes with (or did when I bought).

I didn’t get an ANSI reading as the light stepped down at 25 secs when I tried to get it! Though when I runtime tested it in turbo it lasted 45 seconds!!! aaaarggghhhh

All I got is the short tube too, so didn't do any formal tests. I could though with an Aspire 18350 cell - think they are still the best one? I do have a S42 and my S43S bezel is now modded. I didn't compare bezels.

Well, I tried switching the bezels on mine today S42 <—> S43S and it didn’t work. The S43S bezel would go on the S42, but not the S42 bezel on the S43S (the actual one I want). :weary: :frowning: :cry:

My S42S parts fit fine on my S43S. I donated my S42 for hurricane relief, so I can’t check that version.

chinooker, yeah, I thought so. Martin showed his lego’ed flashlights in the S43S sales thread a while back too. My S42 bezel seems to thread onto the S43S just a single thread or so, then stop turning. I may try again some time. Or I may just Foybezel the S43S like Tom E did to his. A small benefit to that is that the name of the flashlight is on the bezel. So it would still match.

The S41, S42 and S43 use the same optic.

And someone did a S41 from Quad to Triple. Mabe in the mod thread

What’s the deal with the soft ramp on the pulses?

Do other flashlights look like that? Is that an artifact of the sensor, or something else? Is the FET turning on slowly?