Aussie-Yank Flashlights Inc. Or how to span the oceans with crazy mods and good BLF friends. All Done

Direct Drive was done outside the host with only very short 18 ga wires.

I wonder if the entire led is active. Would a very low power test show this?

A short, bleeding off voltage? Weak ground not carrying the current?

The best test is, does it stay in the circular file cabinet, or does it jump back out? I've never had one jump back out yet. Definitive test...Wink

I’ll pay shipping for you to send it to me, would like to find out what makes the bugger tick. :wink:

Justin,

I have all sorts of variable power supplies here… I can find out at what voltage it draws what current….

Thanks,

I imagine it fried during reflow on that big copper pill. That's the most logical assumption, but whatever it is, it does not matter much. It will have to be a new led. Even if it was a 9volt, it would still not work for the application, so it's a looser no matter what. I will just have to get another one, after all these giveaways are over and things calm down.

You made me nervous, I bought a mt-g2 from IO even though it will probably be a while before I'm ready to use it. I thought I should test it before it gets too late to RMA it. I took the head off a X8 clone and clipped cheap jumper cables w/ alligator clips to the tube and button of the top cell (TF Flames). The jumpers are only ~28ga. and there's almost no pressure holding the cells against the switch spring but I figured I could at least do a go/no go test. I tacked the mt-g2 to a copper pill with a drop of thermal paste and touched the pads lightly with the clips. It passed.

Question: When will I be able to see out of my left eye again. < Permanent wink?

For the record, 2 Samsung 20R cells direct drive to the MT-G2 SHOULD have shown you 12A!

OL, sounds like you need to do one last giveaway thread! :wink: :bigsmile:

I don’t know of a failure mode for an LED that would cause it to draw 1A. My bet is it is a 9V LED.

Wouldn’t a 9V MT-G2 still give more than 1A with 8.4V of cells running it direct drive?

Nope, 1A sounds just about right…

Well, if it's 9v, it still does me no good. I went ahead and ordered one from Mountain Electronics. DBCstm, when you get this one, if it is 9V, then just buy yourself a case of 9V alkalines and hook them all up parallel. 24 ought to be about right for a few seconds runtime.Laughing

Datasheet says it draws even less than that actually, around 600mah at 8.4v if I’m eyeballing the graph correctly.

I have to laugh when I see the current max out at 3A on their 6v mt-g2 graph though…is anyone here actually running an mt-g2 at less than 3A? :bigsmile:

6A, 6.42A, 4.74A, have had one up to 12A.

I’m thinking that if the 6V version can handle 8.4V in direct drive and run 12A, then the 9V version should be able to handle 12.6V or fry trying. I might actually look into some LiPo cells for this one, actually I have a pack that I use to run my 1DsMkII that is switchable from 12V to 13.1V regulated. Easy way to find out if it works, and the pack is 5500mAh, might just make a compact host with an external power supply….hmmm………

Higher Voltage = less amps. It should not do as many amps as the 6V. Actually, both meters ran less than one amp. 850mA on one and 900mA on the other, so it probably is a 9V led. Damn, I hope so, that would mean it wasn’t my fault… I love it when it isn’t my fault.Innocent

lol, you might even could get them to replace it with the correct item. :wink:

Or blame it on Steve.

9V batteries? Will they fit in a MagLight? I was thinking a battery made from 3 Powerizer 26650’s with a 10A limit and a rotary dial for the switch. :slight_smile: Should be nice in the 3D Mag I have sitting here.

… I love it when it isn’t my fault.
LOL… OL. Not often I say that and it’s actually true. Almost chocked on my burrito.

Won't that make for an unwieldy pocket light?