[Available again! - BLF special edition light] new Sofirn AAA twisty high CRI 5mm LED

The list is now updated through post 861 (zoysiamo).

We’re now up to 611 lights. Keep ’em coming!

Shortcut to the current list on page 10

These updates are included, too. Thanks!

There is a prototype! Not ano-ed, and probably has no internals as yet but: we have pics, joehoe! :slight_smile: Me think it looks cool!
Barry tells me that there will be an anodised version on monday, which is “a real light to test”. My question if that implies that it will have complete internals ready too (driver, led, spring, potting) was not clearly answered. From the pics it seems that the head has a deeper knurling than the body, but Barry told me that it is not so, so I take his word for that :innocent: The split ring in the pics is a bit too small, but it was just a ring that an engineer grabbed from somewhere, Barry asked if a split ring should be needed to add since everyone has those, and I answered that adding it would be very much appreciated.

Hey djozz, that’s looking good, thanks for sharing and for letting us know the advances on this :wink:

I just noticed one thing: the split ring, on that size, seems to hinder tailstanding! I don’t know if thicker / larger / bigger rings will fit on this, so…maybe it was better to shave a little bit on the edges of the tail where the magnet will sit? (where the ring is sitting too, on the photo)

I don’t know, I’m just basing on this last picture :zipper_mouth_face:

As said above, the split ring was just some ring that an engineer had around, the light will of course come with a fitting ring that will allow tailstanding. If they use this size ring and adjust the “magnet blob” or just add a slightly larger ring is up to Sofirn AFAIC, it looks like tailstanding will be adequate in both situations.

Looking good! The special tailcap looks natural. And if hole and/or slot are not needed, you (that is: we) can put a piece of rubber in. Then it is as “clean” as a simple tailcap without the extra possibilities this one has.
About the knurling: maybe both of you are (in part) right. If you shave the top of the knurling from the head, you get the same knurling as on the body. The difference you see may be caused by a head (tube) that’s a fraction bigger than the body (tube). And the “knurling-tool” is used in the same position for both.

Nice, good to know :wink: I saw your “note” on the first ring that came to hand and considered that too, I was just reinforcing the tailstading ideia!
And that tail is quite nice indeed, the design is top :wink:

Thanks once again :+1:

Pretty nice without ano.

It is one thing that I suggested Barry, a version without ano. But the colours will be a separate story, I told Barry the outcome of the poll, including preference for some colours that were not part of Sofirn’s options at the time of starting the poll.

Nice! Would be in for a bare light also.

Nice looking light! I'm in for 2× 5600k. Thanks!

Yeah! Bare is the new black!

But bare SS would be nice too :wink:

In for at least 2x at 3200k

Update me for 2 3200k instead of 1.

Nice job Sofirn! The prototype looks great.

It’s looking like I will have my Sofirn twisties in hand long before I get my FW3A.

I just checked and it hasn’t even quite been 6 weeks since Djozz first posted about Sofirn stepping up to take on this project. I know there will be a lot more to do with testing and setting up for a production run, but I hope it all continues to go smoothly.

That machining sample looks very nice. The innovative tailcap design is looking particularly good.

I would prefer Sofirn to use a bigger split ring if they can, not trim down the tailcap. I’m looking for every bit of tailstanding stability I can get :slight_smile:

Please pass along thanks to Barry and Sofirn for picking up this project, being so open to our input, and still developing at a quick pace :+1:

The 2 legs of the pocket clip around the tube seem a be short like it is ready to come off without a lot of traction.

I’m interested in 2 × 3200K

I’m interested in at least 2

Kinda like it bare.