[Available again! - BLF special edition light] new Sofirn AAA twisty high CRI 5mm LED

One of each tint please. Thanks

Interested in 1 of 5600k

I’m interested in 2 of the 3200k. What kind of time frame are we looking at? New to the topic.

Thought I’d already put myself down, maybe not.

I’m in for 3 3200k and 2 5600k

There isn’t an official timeline for the project, but progress so far has been very good. I can’t speak for Sofirn, and am not in any real hurry, but I’m hoping they’ll be able to ship in a month or two.

What Barry told me a week ago is that Sofirn is busy making enough inventory for the “last season sales”, whatever that is, but they are making old models for that so the new models may be delayed. But if that delay is days or weeks, I don’t know.

(top light after testing by son, seems most impact was on the bezel, so the test was good :+1: )

Today, among other samples, I received two C01 (as Sofirn calls the Yuji twisty) flashlights for evaluation (Barry decided to send me samples because production had some delay so there was a short timespan for me to do some testing and report back).

I will spend some more time testing, but sofar:
*beam looks useful, but indeed floodier than 30 degrees leds. It is a matter of taste really, this beam is quite perfect for reading for example, but you will not brightly light up the other side of the room.
*I measure 7.2 (real) lumen for the 5600K version, and 4.9 lumen for the 3200K version.
*as feared, the clip really does not fit this light well, it is stiff so it will stick in place ok, but the arms do not enfold the light enough so with some impact it will come off. I already reported this to Barry (best solution: make a new deficated clip for the C01).
*I did a short abuse test session with my 7-year old son, I think he hit it pretty hard :smiling_imp: :

Nice real life testing! I want to give one to my 7 year old daughter. Probably won’t show her this and give her ideas.

I think it’s still a shame we are going to get the 60 degrees LEDs, but it will have to do. Do you think you can get a beam shot?

There’s sort of a beamshot view at 1:28 in the video djozz posted. From what I’ve seen of the 45 degree emitters, it appears to me the periphery of the beam hits the “reflector” and either is bounced into the middle, or perhaps truncated.

Nice test!

Here’s a beamshot at 30cm from wall, bit from the side so I could use the bookshelves to place the lights on. Top light is 3200K C01, middle is 5600K C01, bottom is my Led Lenser keychain light modded with 45 degrees 5600K 5mm Yuji led. The tints and brightness look fairly accurate in the picture. You correctly notice that the bottom light is not 5600 Kelvin, it appears 5100K (middle I measured 5600K and top is 3200K, so the C01’s are spot-on).

Good report djozz!! Thank you.

• I agree with Geuzzz, to bad about getting the 60° LED instead of the 30°. But it is what it is.
  • The clip does indeed look poor, as you said. IMO this light does not need a clip.
    IF it comes with one, it will be the first thing I remove. :wink:
  • The ’torture test’ by your son was GREAT!! He did a fantastic job. I loved the video action of the test too.

Despite the succesful abuse test above, the potting on both samples is not done right, I could lift the driver and the potting appeared toffee-like, so not sufficiently hardened. Further, a 5mm magnet does not fit, by a hair, so the hole must be .2 or .3mm wider. The trit hole on the other hand is really wide, a standard trit fits with room to spare.

So we got lucky with the delay and your opportunity to test. Seems like points that can be fixed for the final version.

Does the potting need to be “hard” in order to be good? I know “hard” is what we’re used to, but maybe this is just a different type of stuff that works just as well?

The 5mm magnet was probably 5mm before the coating was added. What size was the hole on these samples? Anyway, it surely needs to be enlarged.

I think the clip needs to fit right. Many will not use a clip, but those who do, need it to fit. A good fitting clip will make the light useful for brim-of-a-hat use.

Here’s hoping these items don’t set back production too much!

The potting may not need to be stone-hard like in the Fenix E01, but it should at least be gummi-like, not a butter-texture like the stuff that I encountered.

Oh, now THAT is a problem! :person_facepalming:

Hmmmm…. Sounds like the ‘hardener’ got left out of the mix. Or, not enough was used.

Sign me up for one of each type please.

Great that Sofirn decided to send out samples. Thanks for your impressions and testing djozz. Hopefully the small issues that you found (magnet hole diameter, clip, potting) can be fixed before production starts.

I have one question about your beamshot comparison (post #1151): does the light at the bottom (your modded LED Lenser) really have a 30° Yuji LED? It looks more like 45° to me (30° should be even smaller in diameter). The LEDs are only available in 45° and 60° at the Yuji store.

Hmm, 30 degrees is what I remember, so I looked up the order, luckily the Yuji store gives me an order history :slight_smile:

It appears that the batch of 3200K 5mm leds that I bought in 2013 were 30 degrees, and the batch of 5600K 5mm leds that I bought in 2015 were 45 degrees, the last I used in this Led Lenser keychain light, so you are perfectly correct, I will update the post :slight_smile: