*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Yeap….this is the place to be :slight_smile:

I'm probably very late but I would like to be on the interest list as well. Thank you!

That’s for sure the best lantern on the market, so lease put me on the list for two more lanterns (total of three).

That tripod hole on the side is at 90 degree, not 45.
Or you want it on 45 degree, then you need to decide on which side the hole is (to the switch or to the charge port).

I added some things to the lantern today. The main ones are:

Auto-tint modes

Tint is chosen automatically based on the overall brightness. This can either be the normal auto-tint mode, where low=warm and high=cool, or a reversed tint mode where low=cool and high=warm.

To access these, tint-ramp all the way to the end, watch as the lamp blinks, then keep pressing for about a second afterward. It’ll blink again then go into auto mode. There’s one at both ends of the tint ramp.

Middle-tint power correction

With the total PWM value constant, the actual power and brightness sag at middle tints. So I added something to correct for that. The power used stays fairly close to constant while tint changes.

The correction curves look like this:

The result isn’t completely flat, because it’s a linear correction to a non-linear response curve… but it’s reasonably close.

I like to be on the list. I hope, im not too late.

Greets

Please place me on the interest list.

Maybe the length of the on time could be adjustable by 50 ms from 50 ms up to 500 ms. Three flashes in the chosen length, or one flash for each 50 ms (1 flash for 50, 2 for 100,…. 10 for 500 ms). 50 ms isn’t as low as some want, but it would keep it fairly simple, maybe adding 1 ms, 5 ms, 10 ms, and 25 ms wouldn’t be so bad. The problem is that if you have the indicator flash be the length choosen it may be hard to distinguish, maybe short quick flashes for 1-25 ms (1-4 quick flashes) and longer for 50-500 ms (1-10 slower flashes) but then again I just woke up and none of this makes sense?

DBSAR wrote: “The thread anodizing needs to be a bit thicker, as unthreading it for a mechanical lock out on my sample don’t work unless it’s threaded almost off completely.”

I hope this issue does not get overlooked.

Nice additions TK!, and thanks for the extra time spent making the firmware even better.

An adjustable on time for the beacon sure would be nice and all but that obviously adds more complexity to the firmware.
I’m not sure if TK feels like adding such a thing. So perhaps a 100ms on time would be a good compromise if the on time isn’t user configurable.

Here’s one example of beacon/strobe lights from the aviation side of things:
Airbus A320 anti-collision lighting system (pdf).

As you can see, the red beacons and tail strobes have a 100ms on time while the wing strobes are 50ms double pulses with a 60ms off in between pulses.

Here’s a video of what the A320’s lights look like when landing/taking off at night. (Youtube)

I gotta say the double pulse looks rather nice :smiley: That video doesn’t do it proper justice at all times and sometimes it looks like it’s just a single pulse but that’s the shutter speed etc. not lining up as it’s shot at night.

So is this going to be a custom ui for the lantern? A modified Anduril?

Please place me on the list.

I see what you mean. The only “beacons” I’ve used are navigation lights and channel markers from 35yrs of sailing, which are not strobe flashes, rather off/on more similar to what Andruil does.

Not sure how practical a wilderness/rescue strobe on this lantern would be anyway. Not likely to be doing any backpacking with light that weighs a few pounds. The “on” duration could be shortened, but for my personal uses, I think it’s fine the way it is. With 4 18650’s, this beacon could go on for days with a half second flash.

I think this sums up what a lot of us wish that we could put into words.
This Lantern will set the Standard for not other Lanterns but all Lights in General.

THANKS to all that have put in sooooooooooo much time and effort !!!

Please put me on the list for two lanterns

Please put me on the list for two BLF LT1 Lantern’s.

Interested in 1

Add me to the list please!

I’m interested in one!