*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Thank you, this is indeed interesting to me since I know little about USB-C or the hardware it requires. :beer:

I have not tested or used the 3 panel one, (i did see photos of it though, and it looks to be a lower cost cheaper built model.) it likely has less maximum amps output compared to the better looking 4-panel one linked above that i have.

Hi,

Please sign me up for one lantern.

Thanks!

Hi,

Please add me to the list for one lantern.

Thank You

Here are this weekā€™s additions to the interest list and the files linked in post #1 have been updated.

Iā€™ll be on vacation until 8/4 so the next updates wonā€™t be published until 8/5. Anyone signing up for a lantern (or more) during this period will be added when I get back.

Thanks

1911 LloydV
1912 Brett
1913 Brett
1914 Davetorpe
1915 Funtastic
1916 Funtastic
1917 Funtastic
1918 Funtastic
1919 Funtastic
1920 Funtastic
1921 Dannick
1922 Dannick
1923 Kalihi
1924 Matthew Komar
1925 Matthew Komar
1926 methnen
1927 duyfken
1928 duyfken
1929 trvrnrth
1930 Slipgun
1931 BBLV
1932 Cameron Wilcox
1933 Cameron Wilcox
1934 Cameron Wilcox
1935 Yanlee13
1936 Yanlee13
1937 primarycell
1938 figment
1939 figment
1940 christoph
1941 Bugdoc
1942 Yoav.Klein
1943 desymond

Have a great trip to Hawaii SIGShooter!! . :beer:

ok upon request i sent, 18650Canada store has brought in button tops in both protected and non-protected 3500 mAh cells, both the Samsung 35E and Sanyo GA series. These tested at the highest capacity i seen in any HC 18650 cell, which would be the best choices for the LT1 for extreme run times in all modes.

For all Canadian members on BLF needing a good source for genuine brand name 18650 batteries at a good price, 18650Canada.com has set up a 10% off discount for any 18650 cells shippable across Canada, Canadian members looking to get 18650 batteries can go to this link to order to view their batteries: >> 18650canada.comĀ -Ā Informationen zum Thema 18650canada. / Use the discount code ā€œ DBSAR ā€œ when ordering cells to get the discount.

Below is the test that Guillaume at 18650Canada sent me tonight.

• From left to right it would be sanyo GA protected button top, Samsung 35E protected button top, sanyo GA button top, and Samsung 35E button top mAh test results of their new stock of them.

Thanks Teacher. Iā€™m sure it will be awesome, especially since weā€™re bring our new, and 1st, grandkidā€¦.who will be sleeping in a separate room with the parents :smiley:

Weā€™re currently at 1,905 on the interest list. When I get back I expect there to be well over 2,000 :+1:

Congrats on the grand kid! hope you have a great trip to Hawaii too. :smiley: :+1: When you get back we hope to be past 2000 on the GB list, and have more news from Sofirn & Barry on a production date start.

+1 on the first grandchild congrats & the sleeping arrangements sound great too. :smiley:

Aloha!! ā€¦ :beer:

Add me with 3 more units (Total 4)

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Please sign me up for two units, please.

Iā€™ve been thinking about a lower-cost lantern as well. My goal would be to maintain very high overall quality as well as rich features while improving on price. Quite different from yours which led to quite different tradeoffs. :wink:

My thoughts:

• medium power LEDs should be better than high power
    • cheaper in terms of lm/$
  • plastic or alu? Iā€™ve spent a lot of time thinking about that and I donā€™t have a solid answer
    • yeah, plastic is much cheaper as long as you have large scale
    • plastic weighs less which is a quality improvement
    • plastic thermals are very bad
    • durability of plastic threading is very bad
    • impact resistance? Plastic has it lower, but not terribly. Especially that due to lower weight impact energy is lower.
    • overall I have a feeling that some mix of alu and plastic would work best but I canā€™t suggest anything in particular
  • smaller, non-DTP alu MCPCB would be a minor cost saver
  • ATTiny1634 would cut a few cents off the price (and other MCUs like ATTiny816 or ATTiny804 could cut a few more but this seem farther from being available)

Soā€¦not much improvement really. I keep that thoughts because they may come useful in some future project but thatā€™s just it.

Madtoffel, as to your other suggestionsā€¦:

• a simpler driver would indeed cut the cost further though personally I view the quality loss as very high
  • adding cells increases cost for those who donā€™t need them. But indeed may lower it for those who do.
  • tamper-proof battery pack would prevent BLFers from upgrading the cells which would have a big impact on runtime. In my view that would be a major quality downgrade. Though in do see the point of locking down cell access so muggles canā€™t hurt themselves. And I do find it a worthy goal. But it should be implemented in a way that enables advanced users to replace the cells. Soā€¦tamper-proof unless you know how to disassemble it.

So it looks like this light could accompany my self built camping lantern already next season? :smiley:

ā€¦ then add me to the interest list for one unit, please!

Great work! :+1:

Same to you, what a fun light! Certainly will be available for next season, Iā€™m hoping for early fall 2019 personally.

Great job on your custom light! :+1:

Update: Barry has sent a final upgraded test unit to evaluate, and from what we seen it will be the green-light for production. As soon as it arrives I will do a video on the changes, adjustments & thoughts, & post here for everyone to see. I am really looking forward to the production LT1 to place my order for the 5 i am on the list for, and may increase that number as i want to gift some of them to family & friends, and have a couple in the house, a couple in the RV, and one in my truck. I will be retiring & giving away most of my bulky, plastic, modded other LED lanterns & replacing them with the LT1s. I also placed an order for 12 of the new 35E 3500mAh cells from 18650Canada for my LT1 lanterns.

Great News on the Lantern getting very close to Production !!!

Iā€™ve been watching this for a while. Great to see itā€™s finally happening!