(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

Which is why you are going to be using 2 carriers to spread the load :slight_smile:

The problem now is that how the top carrier will be handling 80A+ to the emitters.

I think it would have been better to put the emitters in a xP 2S configuration, and then zener mod the drivers. 2S config would easily be obtainable would a simple thick trace bypass, and would allow for only 40A+ to the emitters, which would be much easier on the traces.

Potentially true, yes, but I’m building the light on a Quad bore tube that has 4 cells in direct contact with the driver. So I built it according to what it actually is not what it might end up being.

Mind you, when I put 12 Samsungs in my Meteor and used a similar Master/Slave set-up I’m getting 58.8A in that light with Samsung 25S cells for right at 5A per emitter, 18,940 lumens. This light will have 4 additional Samsungs and an SST-40.

One thing I may well have overlooked though, in my lumens calculations, is that where I used the W bin Samsung in the Meteor, I now have U binned 80 CRI emitters in hand. The W’s are not in stock at Arrow. So it may well not make the lumens I was first expecting. So I’m not sure if I should wait on the higher binned emitter which I actually like the color tint of better or go ahead and build this one up with emitters on hand. OR use 8 of the Samsungs and 8 XP-L HI, there won’t be a Vf disparity as each quad board effectively has it’s own driver. This might help with the overall beam profile, might not. Still thinking about which way to go… Heck I might put different emitters on each quad board just because… you know, like Nichia 219C on one, Samsung LH351D 80 CRI 5000K on another, Cree XP-L HI V3 3A on yet another, and …. hmmmmm…… if I don’t want to keep up the search for ultimate lumens I could put 4 Black Flats on the 4th Quad board. I have all these emitters on hand, who knows what it’d look like in practice? lol

That actually intrigues me, 5 different manufactures on one light… Nichia, Samsung, Cree, Oslon and Luminus. Just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser…

4x Luxeon V would do more than your top bin Samsungs I think but the Angie board he sells isnt DTP. Not sure how well it works when you bypass his on board FET config.

https://led4power.com/product/mosled-extreme-mosx-ceramic-insulation-4xv-angie-4040-quad-mcpcb-31-4mm/

If I get similar performance from the Samsung’s as in my Meteor a quad board would give 6300 lumens each. I don’t know about with the 80 CRI though, I think I was getting 5300 in the X6 Quad I built, the one David EF won in my post count giveaway. Still, that would be some 20,800 lumens without the SST-40, which itself should make 2000 lumens or somewhere in that vicinity. So I think that would be nice, a good color tint with some punch in the middle… while the SST-40’s tend to be on the blue-white side they do tone down some when sliced off and sealed.

My D4S is making 6023.7 with a rested cell (Golisi 26650 at 4.15V), this light will essentially be 4 D4S lights with a 22mm tube light SST-40 thrown in for good measure. :wink: (Pretty sure this D4S has the W binned Sammy’s)

If I can use two of the carriers with 8 total cells the potential 80A load would be spread out, right? And if I used a third carrier for 12 cells then it would be spread out even further. So potentially 3 carriers would have to deliver 28.6A each to net 86A at the emitters, this might be doable. Even a fourth for 16 cells would make it easier with only a 21.5A demand on each carrier. Big light, yes, but the 4” diameter head carries some weight so it might well would balance out nicely. I think a little bit of fortification to the carriers would make this even easier on them, but of course I have to have them in hand to know just what needs to be done.

I DID put in for 2 sets, didn’t I? That’s 16 cells, right? Gonna cost me a fortune in cells…

I have parts coming in over the next few days that will allow me to complete the build, I could hold off and get the W2 emitters for a maximum output, or I could mix it up with the 5 different Manufacturer’s and go ahead, or a combination of ideas. I don’t necessarily have to have the most output, I tend to like the Unique aspect believe it or not, so I’m willing to give up some total output for the special combination and a good beam color and profile. Kinda not used to mixing 4 quads to begin with so I don’t quite know what to expect.

I put a Nichia 219C, Cree XP-L HI, and Samsung LH351D 80 CRI in a Sofirn C8F and the output/color is very nice. While I don’t think I’d like XP-L2’s in this one, one board with XP-L HD emitters may well be good. (I’m not impressed with the Black Flats and will not likely use them) I do have some XP-G2 S2 2B emitters that I could go with… that would no doubt help improve hot spot but of course not output totality. Opposing boards of HI and HD emitters with a counter of 2 Samsung 80 CRI boards sounds interesting… need to look at my kit and see what I have exactly and figure out which way to go with all this, will have the 4 Quad boards by Tuesday if not sooner and I’ll most likely put it together then, with something… I don’t tend to wait once parts are in hand. lol

Yep. You put in your interest for 2 sets :smiley:

Soooo, 16 cells.

With 16 cells though, you can probably just use 10A cells like LG M26s, which are way cheaper than 30A 25S.

Or a pile of 30Q’s. Higher capacity even. Do the cells need to be flat top or button top for the carriers, is it known?

The Sanyo GA is a 3450mAh cell that can easily do 10A, beats down the LG MH1 pretty badly but a dollar higher cost from IMR… these would yield the highest run times by far, as if even the 4” head can handle this much power that long. lol Maybe if it’s Really Cold out…and misty/sleeting… and windy…

Wife’s gonna skin me alive…

Just ordered 16 Samsung 30Q, best deal overall for the money… $5.55 shipped per ea.

This schtuff gets expensive… Sofirn Q8, $40… chunk of 4” Al off ebay,$28.77… box full of emitters, $30… 95mm UCLp lens,$15… 16 Sam30Q cells, $89… Quad boards and optics from Hank, $36… wife that loves me… Priceless! :smiley:

Maybe Sofirn will show me some love and send me my tubes as “review samples” :smiley: Hey! It Could Happen! :stuck_out_tongue: (I think they are making me a one piece 2 carrier tube, to be honest, haven’t heard back on that yet)

Doubt it.

When you get bored with it, you can just sell it to a member for cost+shipping+DB Custom love :smiley:

The problem is that the Q8 is not a light to be bored of…

My D4S makes 6693 with the Golisi charged up, this at start. 5751 at 30 seconds.

If I could duplicate that kind of performance in this Q8 .441 MAG it’d do close to 29,000 lumens! :smiley: (NOT gonna happen!)

Hmmm, the world record in men’s dead lift is 1155 pounds. Do you think that’s his first successful lift or his 3rd? Does he have to hold it for 30 seconds for the lift to be good?

This is pointed at my lumens quote at start vs 30 seconds. Wondering when/how 30 seconds became the standard… do we turn a light on and wait 30 seconds then walk around shining it? Either way, the numbers are wrong as of course the cells are dying fast… like that guy that lifted 1155 pounds, he ain’t doing it multiple times folks, just not gonna happen! lol

… my random thought for the day… carry on. :wink:

Li-ion Wholesale doesn’t mess around, I’ve already gotten a shipped email with a UPS tracking number!

Looks like August 18, 2009.
https://flashlightwiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1

Thanks Jason, I see that it was kind of a co-op kind of deal between manufacturer’s that were participating. This makes sense, as they were looking for a way to compare apples to apples.

What we do, hot rodding beyond specifications… sometimes WAY beyond specifications… really blows the apples to apples thing right out of the cart. :wink: 15 minute intervals between checking on run time evaluation? Who are we kidding here? A great many of my lights pull far more amps than the cells can provide in 10 minutes, much less 15 minute intervals! But of course, that’s how the cart rolls (backwards) when hot rodding these lights. :smiley:

There are those of us that want the initial punch, I’ve built many a light for manxbuggy1 and that’s all he was concerned about… what’s it do when I turn it on? For those that want more conservative run times, there are of course a great many manufactured lights that provide this sort of thing. Here at DB Custom, run time is not the priority. LOL (I have 2 Samsung 30T cells, in series, in a light that gets 38A from the 3Ah cells. [That’s 38A at 8.4V!] Runtime? What’s that?)

I know it may seem cavalier, but when I started modifying lights based on the HD2010 years ago, every little thing I did showed gains… so I set out to find what the light was capable of at it’s absolute Maximum. And that’s pretty much what I still do. If you have that ceiling, then you can figure out where the optimum balance is between run time and performance and then you can establish where you want to go with the light for your specific need. Right? So for me it’s really about potential, finding a lights absolute, so a balance that is satisfactory can be achieved. It’s not like I actually USE 220 flashlights! :stuck_out_tongue: Call me a research facility. hahahahaha

If she didn’t skin you for buying that HUGE bag of Elida Estate coffee, I think you’re safe. :innocent:

OMG! She has started drinking my coffee! Does this mean… are my… SHE’S AFTER MY LIGHTS! :open_mouth:

Hi!

I am interested in getting two extensions tubes + two carriers for my Sofirn Q8!

Many thanks!

I am in. Put me in for

Ext tube x 8

Battery Carrier x 8