(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

1 set

4 sets

Just for clarification.

I want 1 set.

I can’t want to get a new mcpcb in the mail.

Interested in 2 tubes/carriers, depending on price.

@BlueSwordM

Thanks for explaining!

Then I want 1 set (for 8x 18650)

List me for 1 set for Sofirn Q8 ,Thanks

I would like 2 tubes and 2 carriers (8 cells) for a BLF Q8.

Without reading the whole thread, is it possible to use just one extra tube to make my BLF Q8 run twice as long? I have an extra carrier.

You can’t attach the stock tube to these new ones.

If you want to run 8 cells you have to buy 2 new tubes/carriers (1 set).

They are only sold in sets anyway. You can’t buy one tube/carrier.

Thanks!

Does Sofirn have a price yet for 1 set (2 tubes/2 carriers)?

Electric Movements in the Dark +1

mmalive +2

leafty +1

ImA4Wheelr +1

Satan@103TFS +1

klrman +1

@klrman, no price yet on the tubes.

ok thanks! My BLF Q8 is my most used utility/construction light so I could really use a set.

Hope the tubes coming out soon.

No

Yes

Hi, should read +2 for me

No, it’s right. 2 tubes/carriers = 1 set.

ImA4Wheeler, are you wanting to use 8 cells or have the option for 16? Or do you have 2 Q8’s you’d like to use 8 cells with?

I’m in for 2 sets for a total of 16 cell capability because my light needs em. Hoping the carriers can do the current, will have to modify them I’m sure.

^

Ah, I see. I should read more carefully. I want 1 set then. So list above is correct. Thank you Jason and DBC.

Because the factory tube is offset bored to have a bore for each cell, the carrier tube won’t stack on top of the stock tube. So the stock tube has to come off, the new tube screw on and the carrier populated and slipped inside the smooth bore tube. If 8 cells for extra run time is wanted, a second new tube is screwed on after the carrier is put in the first… it appears from their video that the tube has a stop that doesn’t let the carrier slide through, so each tube must be populated with a carrier then screwed on in procession. But the carriers allow for parallel current, so while stacking sets of 4 cells the current remains at the 3V needs of the XP-L in the Q8. This all said, if you use one set (two tubes with two carriers and a total of 8 cells) the run time is doubled over the stock configuration. A second set, 16 total cells capability, then the run time would be 4 times longer than in stock form. In such a set-up, almost any cell could be used as the draw per cell would be really low compared to a stock Q8.

They showed that it doesn’t matter if you have one or 4 cells in each tube, but I’d think for practical purposes it should be safer to use balanced sets of same cells. Someone is going to wind up having an accident if this isn’t followed, I know a couple of people that are likely candidates to mess up with something like this.

So, for me, with a light having tremendous current draw, I am going to have to modify the carrier closest to the driver so that it can carry a huge load. The second carrier will carry less current, the third carrier even less, and the 4th carrier probably no more than 22A (in my situation) But that first one, at the driver, will have some 90A going through it to the LED’s. I am wondering if it can do it.

Sofirn should have sent you some prototype tubes 'n carriers. I can't wait to see the final outcome of this project, DB Current. :-D