BLF Special Edition Zebralight? Maybe next year

I like the simple idea of the SC63w with a true 85+CRI ~4300K (e.g. 5B1) High Intensity XHP35 if nothing else.

BUT… An incredibly awesome bonus would be a classic knurled body and deep carry pocket clip that snaps on and is reversible……

Wait…

Yes!
—- Make an S63 sized SC600MkIII HI (w/ HiCRI) —-

Then just call it the SC64w and let us get first crack :partying_face:

Super interested.

Any reaction after 2 weeks of the feeler email sent?

2xAA, with a high CRI Nichia 219 LED.

I had a couple emails back and forth with the rep there. They don’t have the production capacity for any new models of any kind right now. They are in the process of moving production back to Texas. Nothing new would be considered until they start producing there, hopefully by the end of the year.

I got the impression that if they had the production capacity something might be possible. I plan on circling back many months from now and see if the situation changes at all.

Maybe it is their polite way to say no.

Maybe. Maybe not. They are in the business of selling flashlights and we proposed some designs that would be pretty easy for them to do and the potential to sell many hundreds of them on generous terms.

I actually just saw two people on CPF mention wanting a 2 cell SC5, I think it would sell well

Zebralight seems like a company that is interested in only making the lights they want to. I have heard stories over the years where people have sent them emails about design changes or tweaks and they weren’t interested. It’d be awesome if they did, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

That’s very interesting to hear Zebralight is moving production back to Texas. Wondering what the reasons for that might be and how that will affect the cost of their lights going forward?

Is it possible to go through the roof twice?

i like the idea of a re release. s6330 specs TBD

maybe in 14500 format

maybe a duel aa/14500 format?

I think they’re pretty much at the upper limit of what I’m willing to spend on Zebralights. I have a few, but wouldn’t be willing to pay more just because it’s made in the US.

For years we pestered them with inquiries about nichia high CRI leds without success, highly anticipated and seemingly popular Q50 canned, etc… etc…, my understanding is that their manpower and production capacity is limited and that they can hardly keep up, the way this company is run, probably not at it’s full potential, always puzzled me.

They’re at that point where they have success, but haven’t made the investment to step up capacity and grow the company. It’s the hardest thing to do, because you’re going to sacrifice some advantages for others. In the end, it’s usually for the better, because revenue goes up and the company expands its potential.

But… they keep dragging their feet and they are going to lag behind. It’s happening already. They max out at 85 CRI with AA cell lights. My SC52w is a fine light overall, and I like the unusual design, but the beam tint is greener than I’d like and it puts out only 280 lumens on high. For what you get, their prices are kind of high.

Maybe not. I had a problem with a SC52w a couple of months ago and I received a call from a rep at the TX office. I began to ask some questions as to why they have a TX office when their lights are produced in China. He stated that they wanted to be set up to do some of the work in TX. He talked about the process for handling repairs would be improved by doing things “in house” as opposed to the current process of shipping the light to China and then back to TX and finally on to the customer. US production was something that seemed to be a future possibility but not set in stone.

Well the question is not them moving production to Texas, but their intention to start producing lights based on customer requests :slight_smile:

I think most of premium brands won’t do it it can destroy more for them then to be good. Their lights tested and tortured till the last bit to make sure they work. Maybe they would make a labeled or colour change or maybe a special led but a real tailor made run for let’s say many 2000 lights I don’t think it’s gonna happen. But I still hope it would be…

The SC5/SC5w is their current AA king of output. 500+ lumens. So, it’s not really fair to use the SC52w as an example of them falling behind. Besides, the SC52’s never really put out 280 lumens on a AA cell, expect for perhaps the first few seconds on a freshly charged cell. Generally, I get closer to 230 lumens on my SC52’s.

However, the SC5w is much better regulated, and gives a near 500 lumens even on a half-depleted cell. The Manker T01 is really the only competition to the Zebralight SC5, and it’s not quite as bright (though has much better throw). Other than that, nobody else comes close on a 1xAA light, and most companies don’t even have 2xAA lights that are as bright.

I think a 26650 zebralight would also be neat