"Budget" Multimeter Suggestions Please

I'm an electrical engineer and I use a Uni-T UT61E at home (Fluke at work). It's a fantastic low-cost but not crappy meter for electronics hobbyists, and available for <$50. If you're working with mains, I would get a Fluke. Otherwise, the UT61E is fantastic. I would pass on all those really cheap $10 meters, really not worth the worry if the reading is accurate or not, or if it will blow up in your hands :)

The probes which come with the Uni-T are.. OK. But if you want a real upgrade, spend about $20 and get a good pair of Fluke leads and it really transforms the experience :)

I’ve been a little confused about its 22,000 count capability. Does it mean that for example when measuring voltage, if you’re under 22V, it’ll display 3 decimal places and then switch to 2 decimal places once you go above 22V?

That sounds like it could be a good one. Thanks for the link - I’ll be paying attention when it comes out.

Yes, so that the whole number can fit on screen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-UT136B-Auto-Range-Digital-Multimeter-AC-DC-Frequency-Resistance-Tester/32687585564.html Bargain!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-UT120C-Super-Slim-Pocket-Handheld-Digital-Multimeters-DC-AC-Amp-Tester/32689391140.html EEVblog recommended super-bargain!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-UT120A-Digital-Multimeter-Pocket-Handheld-Multi-Meter-AC-DC-Voltmeter/32598787298.html Über-bargain! (seen it $0.30 cheaper elsewhere, but screw “app only” offers LoL!)

Cheers

The UT61E is what I use, great quality, 100% worth the price.

To measure current I use the UT210E, which is a clamp meter:

I use the same meters, and they are very good .

Is this a “good” budget multimeter for starters? Would it measure batteries’ voltage and drain?
Sorry for the noob questions, but I’ve never had something like this, nor am I familirized with these things :person_facepalming: …
And even if I want to start cheap, I’d like the minimum conditions to make some things :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance!! :+1:

It only measures voltage and resistance. It does not measure current.

Not a fan of DMMs that have the probes hardwired either.

Thanks for the answer Pete! Gotta have to check another one that measures current!
About the wires is it because of the interference it may have when measuring? Or for being fragile?

You want a clamp meter for current & a DMM for voltage.
The UNI-T UT61E is a good “budget DMM & the UNI-T UT210E is a good ”budget” clamp meter.
Both are plenty accurate enough for “our” sort of measurements.
Another good “budget” DMM is the Vicci VC99 which is what I use myself.

*210E

MascaratumB, 1 meter (or more) long round trip leads is a lot of resistance when measuring current!
How do you think current is measured? By adding something into the target circuit which inevitably incurs some voltage drop. Doing a tailcap current measurement with a conventional multimeter on the 10A scale can mean adding ≈200mΩ (shunt + other components + probes + contact resistances) of resistance to the battery/switch/driver loop into the flashlight. That's A LOT resistance! When 2A of current go through those ≈200mΩ, the voltage drop is ≈400mV = 0.4V!

Clamp meters minimize losses because the clamp resistance is minimal and directly connected to the internal current measuring shunt. With a conventional meter, if minimal voltage drop is required I'd recommend purchasing a separate current shunt (75mV/50A example), attach massive wires between it and the load (in series) and then measure the voltage drop across the shunt with a multimeter with sufficient precision (at least hundredths or tenths of μV).

Recommended: Aneng AN8008 reviewed by HKJ

Cheers ^:)

Oops, edited Enderman :+1:

Oh gosh, so many things I need and so few knowledge about how these things work :person_facepalming: I guess I’ll have to learn a lot before making measurements and use these tools… Seeing it in the videos and people talking here makes it sound easy, but for a guy like me that never contacted with these things…it will take a while!

bella-headlight, Enderman and Barkutti, thanks of the explanations and for the suggestions so far!
I’ll save the info to try these instruments. But first I’ll have to read more and learn about these things :nerd_face:

You’re great people, thanks so much!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Technically, if you are just starting out, you could get away with ut210e alone since you can measure current via clamp and voltage with probes, but I guess it depends on what else you want to measure.

Honestly, if i receive or mod some lights, I wanna be able to provide some data about that, currents, voltage and the stuff people share here about their lights and that are, somehow, important to the community’s development.

For now, as I am not savvy to go for other things, these are my main targets. But first, I’ll have to learn to be able to use the instruments correctly and to interpret the data, and to perceive how the whole processes occur.

So, a long way ahead… I never tried this before, and I wanna improve myself, gain and share some knowledge and information, at least as long as I’ll stay here on BLF!

Thanks for the tip on the UT210E! I’ll take a look at it, read a bit, watch some videos and then decide if I’m ready to get in the adventure :wink:
Thanks again!!

I see that UT210E meter can be used as a regular DMM too, but it’s not recommended.
Is it inaccurate? Does it miss some important features?

If you look in the http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/misc/gear/reviews part of the forum I am posting some DMM review and more will show up during the next few months.
It includes a schema that makes it fairly easy to compare features, at the bottom of each review I link to an explanation of the schema/features.

For now it includes:
Fluke 17B+: Test/review of DMM Fluke 17B+
UNI-T 210E clamp: Test/review of DMM/Clamp UNI-T UT210E
Aneng AN8008: Test/review of DMM Aneng AN8008

They all have their good and bad sides.

Sofirn recently inquired me for reviewing their latest C8 style torch. Looks quite cool! Tracy Wan (from Sofirn) told me they're using a new driver with high power + low power MOSFETs. It's gonna be a homebrew review, of course.

In all honesty, I'd buy an Aneng 8008 plus some current shunt right now, but I'm so skint… :facepalm:

No worries though, plenty of copper sheet and wires, a pack of subohm resistors, soldering iron, … can homebrew a shunt with ease.

By the way, which one of those C8 torches would you choose? They're waiting for my reply, I may open the review thread in advance…