C8 addicts thread

Thats a shame I didn’t know that before I ordered everything.

Is there a chance that you know if there is any extension tube that will fit? Or maybe a place where I can get the ‘old’ version of the convoy C8?

I have to say that I find the pill pretty thin looking, it’s hollow so there is nog much of heatsinking. But the good part is that it’s screwed in place with some good threads.

I don't know of any, especially since they went to square cut threads. You may be able to get one of the old versions by buying one of the complete lights, but it is hard to know what you will get. The pill is about the same overall as the old one (not a problem).

Thanks, lets see what fasttech says. I hope that we can get to a nice solution. It looks like I just need a new led on a 20mm board and run it on 1 18650. Thats not really a problem.

I’m planning to run a XPG2 at 1.5A, so it should be good with the heat? One thing that is also different about the pill is how the driver is mounted, not sure how it is done in the new version but dont like it. It sits too lose/not firm in its place.

1.5a would be low heat, i’m gonna build a c8 with 3.8A and a dedomed xp-g2, I suppose that one would need a turbo timer :slight_smile:

Just waiting for fasttech delivery next week. It is already through customs now :slight_smile:
Gonna do a photographic review of a few dedomed leds, the c8 is a host for one of them.

1.5A is nothing. Really, nothing. A 16mm board will still work fine.

The new driver mounting retainer is fine and will actually work with a greater variety of drivers than the old one.

IF you find the place where you can get old modes please let us know, I would also like to get several before this good old Convoy C8 is all gone :frowning:

Does anyone know if the Fasttech pill / driver pillar might fit on my C8? Mine is 0.895 inches / 22.733mm the specs say 22.76 mm wide at the threads on the site.

Is 1.5-1.75 A too much for an XP-E on a hollow pill? Looks like 20mm 1.6mm star

1- it’s hard to tell, difference in width is very small but you have to consider that threads pitch may be different,
2- I would say yes, overdriven emitter with nothing underneath to transfer the heat is no-no…

You know that’s not what I wanted to hear :slight_smile: I’ll have to try the driver pillar, I was worried about a different pitch.

Where do you get parts? Fasttech looks good, DX not quite as good. Do you have to make your own pills, where else can you get them?

Looking for a woods light, on for half hour+, xpg might be good I guess with 4*7135 on good pill, suggestions?

well, Convoy C8 is THE best option for the price out there and everything else is several steps behind so I only buy Convoy C8 and I buy them from Simon aka Convoy man, buy I buy them as hosts with SMO reflectors, tactical switches… I always request some pills extra so I can easily swop them. Although, this could change soon since Simon changed the design of his flashlights and if I don’t like them (have several on the way) I will have to find some other source for good quality C8 :confused:

XP-G/2 will work just fine with 4 x 7135, with good pill you can use 6 x 7135 :slight_smile: XP-G2 will give you pretty narrow beam…

So about 2000ma for an xp-g2 mounted on aluminum star base? What about on copper?

4A should be OK, depends on how long you want to run it like that…

4a when mounted on copper noctigon? I guess i am looking for the two max currents for xp-g2 on aluminum and copper without shortening the life of the led drastically

I'd stick at around 1.9A or less on aluminum and after 2.2A you really aren't gaining much at all. Starting at around 1.5A the direct thermal path MCPCBs start to pay dividends with the XP-G2.

Thanks for the info.

Hi guys, need some advice here. Do you guys think that its safe and reliable for me to run my c8 at 3amp continously for say 20 to 30 minutes without any stepdown? Btw, its an xml2 mounted on noctigon. What is the safe upper limit for continous run without overheating or damaging any part?

Thanks

Easily.

You can run them much higher than that too, you’ll be fine

Chris

I doubt you’ll over heat anything with heat produced using the torch. Solder has to be heated much higher to melt and that had to happen to assemble the torch electronics in the first place.

Regulating heat is more about how physically hot it feels to your hand so that you don’t burn yourself.

As long as you don’t burn your hand your safe since the unsafe temperature is far above skin burning temps

Uhhh - I had a C8 that was DD (stock driver had to current limit like the EAST-092), XML on aluminum star, and on a decent cell, it would do over 4A, maybe 5A range. I was playing with it one night, had it on maybe 1 minute, and noticed the bezel was loose, so I tightened it with power ON. Well, the light went poof! Took it apart and noticed the LED twisted on the pads of the aluminum MCPCB. So the bottom line is at high amps, the solder under the LED softened up/melted enough to move the LED around.

On a copper DTP board, I don't believe this could happen. Stock aluminum cheap MCPCB's though will have heat problems - they also have significant heat sag at high amps, so more wear/tear on the LED. Classic HD2010's with the "good" EAST-092 driver have this issue