California's air quality = worst in the world

Thanks guys. I will read both of those.

Really sorry for the disaster Fires on the Chaparral.
California is a beautifull naturalistic place,
I have on dream to visit

Thanks leaftye, that makes sense. :+1:

Drove south on 101/880 through Oakland/San Jose Sunday. It was pretty bad and I bought a P100 mask with huge pink round filters screwed on the sides. I looked like a preying mantis eating princess Leia’s face. Thankfully the car’s hepa cabin filter was effective enough to avoid using the mask. We are now in Morro Bay and can even see the rock and rain coming tomorrow. Our condolences to the ppl having to live daily in those conditions, and those who suffered the fires directly.

Ehhh, it’s temporary.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in the mid 60s when leaded gas and big blocks were in every garage.

You couldn’t play outside for more than 30 minutes without developing ‘smog throat.’

I remember it raining down ash after Mt. St. Helens blew her top.

We survived and so will they.

Chris

I lived in So. Cal (Dana Point/Laguna Beach area) through the 80’s and 90’s. (moved in 98). There wasn’t any smog there, but the urban sprawl from 1980 to 1997 that I witnessed, was incredible. For example, I remember when the town of Encintas was just a small town on the ocean side of I-5, and just a few homes on the east side of the highway. Now, the sprawl extends east miles and miles with 10’s of thousands of homes, and big box stores. That is the case for all those coastal towns from San Diego on north.

Yearly wild fires have always happened throughout CA history, but the sheer number of homes and neighborhoods built up in these fire prone areas, is astonishing along with sub par forest management. Along with the burning brush fires, which was bad enough, came burning home materials, car tires, plastics, you name it. Santa Ana winds blow that toxic soup into the cities and out into the ocean.

I experienced the Laguna Canyon fires in 93, and know what it’s like when it’s pitch dark at 2 o’clock in the afternoon. terrifying to say the least

Except, of course, for the people who didn’t survive.

As for those that did, >50,000 people were evacuated due to the Camp Creek Fire. >10,000 homes were destroyed, burned to nothing, which means that most of those 50,000 people don’t have a home to return to.

Temporary? Maybe, but for those who were hit, it’s not over, and it won’t be for a long time.

And let’s not forget global warming is affecting this too.

A 1°C average temperature increase may not seems like much, but a 1°C difference on AVERAGE can actually mean the difference between a small fire and an unstoppable one.

1°C is also the one factor that can either lead to a tropical storm, or a hurricane if the water reaches at least 28°C.