Camelion NiMH

No it instantly charges once the discharge is finished.

Now that sucks....you might want to keep an eye on it if you can.......

2 weeks since the last charge - now testing the remaining capacity then I'll put 4 of them in a cupboard for a while. My very picky digital camera is now complaining about low voltage after 3 weeks and an unknown (but probably less than 30) number of photographs. It did let me take a couple of pictures with flash though the flash was slow to charge up.

This is considerably better than the Vapex LSD cells I have.

Cells 5-8 discharge 2 weeks after charging. Percentage of charge remaining.

Can't complain about those numbers though they must have been more fully charged than the last time I tried this as some of the n7umbers look better than the 1 week discharge. That they regain lost charge is highly improbable...

Those numbers look good. What's your process with coming up with those numbers? Does your charger tell you how much is discharged?

The charger tells me. They are cheap Angeleyes chargers that I can't find anywhere now - I got 2 of them for way less than a Maha C9000 would have cost me several years ago. If you do a search on CPF on Angeleyes you may find some useful information - they cost $35 when I couldn't get a C9000 for under $120 here. They seem to give the same results on cells as the Maha - but for a lot less money.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151066

Ignore the various US morons harping on about UL listing. This is entirely irrelevant in the rest of the planet - this thread caused me to ignore more people than any one before or since.

How I arrived at the numbers was to take an average of the first two discharges and take that as the capacity. The Angelyeyes chargers don't give the fullest possible charge (i.e., they don't overcharge cells) so they get left in a Vanson BC1HU charger for 24 hours (or get charged in something else if I'm in a hurry - I own about 20 chargers) by preference as that seems to give the fullest charge of any of my chargers without cooking cells to death.

Hmm fatter? My first thought they are the ones sold as Kodak LSD/GP Recyko since I think them being fatter is commonly reported, sometimes then even have problems fitting. From photos http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=218956 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/UnknownVT/Battery/KodakPC_eneloopEnds.jpg the negative end looks similar. However the positive end usually seems to have a black top.
Second thought, they actually look a lot like my Maha Imedion. If you look at the pictures in the first link for example they look rather similar. (I can also provide photos to aide comparison if needed.) Even have the ridge near the positive terminal. But Imedion are always made in Taiwan AFAIK. According to the barcode for your ones they are made in China. Manufacturers lying on country of origin isn’t unheard of although less common in developed countries with strong consumer protection laws where lying about the country of origin can get you in trouble and also it tends to happen in the other direction (say made in Japan/Taiwan/US/UK/whatever when they are made in China).
But it could be a mistake. Perhaps they source others like GP Recyko and Yuasa-Delta/Rayovac and didn’t update the barcode. Or maybe they are sent to China to be packaged so they came from China and Camelion stuck a made in China barcode on them. It could also be Maha/Powerex have a factory in China they use to manufacture their OEM batteries. (Of course a few people will say made in Taiwan is made in China, but let’s not go there.)
If they are Imedion, they should really be LSD. In fact from memory some reports are that Imedion are slightly better LSD then Eneloop (but do have shortcomings in other ways, their voltage isn’t quite as high I think).

Just got back a pair of Eneloops I lent out with a light in September 2008. They have been used (but not much) in a light since then. They measured at 1414 and 1436mAh. After nearly two years. With use.

That is what I call LSD.

Charged a bunch of "2700mAh" junk cells that have never given more than 2400mAh since new. The best of them gave 1300mAh immediately after charging. The worst of them gave 800mAh. Charged them again and left them for a day. The best of them gave 900mAh.

Does anyone want to ask me why I'll only buy LSD cells?

Ok, why do you only buy LSD cells? Just joking Don. Wink I don't have the experience you have but I too am the same way. I will probably stick with eneloops from here on out until something better comes along. I just bought some regular eneloop tones and also some costco tones and absolutely love them. I am stuck with the 2 sanyo chargers that came with the costco tones though which I'll probably just give away. I can't see myself straying from eneloops anytime soon.

3 week discharges. I've now standardised the charging routine, they spend 24hr on a Vanson BC1-HU as it seems to give the most complete charge of any of my chargers.

Average

Looking good so far.

Are those the "2700mAh" junk cells you were messing with the other day? When charging with your Vanson BC1-HU, how do you get the mah numbers? Just curious. Smile

Yes, the same garbage. I take them out every so often and think of new ways to be cruel to them. They've never been very good - their capacity at best was little more than the new Camelion cells. Maybe I'll try feeding them 8 amps next from a 15 minute battery killer charger. But it is picky about the cells it'll destroy - it'll only try to kill good cells. Wonder what it'd take to make them burst? 100A from a car battery ought to do the trick....

Will set up a video first though.

But I don't discharge cells in the Vanson. I could stick a couple of datalogging meters on a cell at a time and monitor voltage and current simultaneously then manually work out the mAh but life is too short.

Generally when I'm charging cells I'm not all that interested in how much is going in to them unless they get too hot or something.

I am thinking about getting a Maha C9000 but meanwhile my Angeleyes do just fine for measuring discharges. They aren't nearly as flexible as the Maha - the discharge rate is ~550mA for AAs and that is what you get. The charge rate with 2 AAs is 1062mA, with 3 710mA and with 4 525mA. But at the time I could have got just under 4 of these for the price of a C9000. The Angeleyes chargers seem to have disappeared completely though. Both DX and KD used to sell them.

The cheapest I can now get a C9000 here is £50 (a bit over US$75) and postage will be on top of that.

That's too bad about the C9000 costing too much because it is a very good charger. You'ld think that there would be an electronics store there in the UK that would carry them but I guess they aren't that popular on that side of the pond.

I would like to see video of some cells exploding so let me know so I can get the popcorn ready. :bigsmile:

I thought it curious to read this with my new C9000 on the table released two days ago.

I think it worth the money just for Break-in function. ;)

I love my C9000's even though the break-in's take forever. I've been breaking-in all my new costco and eneloop tones lately and my 2 C9000's have been going 24 hrs. a day for almost a week now. Still have 16 more to break-in and I'm done for a while. I have 10 times more batteries than lights or devices to use them in and the sad thing is that I keep wanting to buy more. What the hell is wrong with me? :~

You are not alone in that. :bigsmile:

I am now trying to chase a new batch of improved Eneloops.

Camelion these are worth? (Sorry, but using the google translator does not let me clear your opinion)

You know any other brand of LSD's that worth? Im tracking reviews of other brands like Recyko or Turnigy now...

My opinion of these cells is that they are good, but I'm not yet sure if they are as good as Eneloops. The extra capacity is good but I have not yet owned them for long enough to find out how well they hold their charge or how they hold up under heavy loads.

I've been doing my own self-discharge test on a few different kinds of AA batteries. I've been checking them weekly with my ZTS MBT-1 battery tester and will continue to do so until they drop under 40% or maybe even 60%.

Here are a few that have been doing very well:

SANYO Eneloop 2000 mAh AA NiMH = 100% after 15 weeks

MAHA Powerex 2700 mAh AA NiMH = 100% after 17 weeks

ENERGIZER 2300 mAh AA NiMH = 100% after 15 weeks

DURACELL (DuraLOOP) 2000 mAh AA NiMH = 100% after 14 weeks

RAYOVAC Platinum 2100 mAh AA NiMH = 100% after 14 weeks

I just now added the new Eneloop tones to this test so only time will tell how they actually do. Batteries I would avoid would be any black top Duracell, all other Energizers and regular Rayovacs. If I had instant store access to more brands of batteries, they too would be part of my test.

Here's a good read on AA batteries that I saw on POTN photography forum which I thought was interesting.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=677074&highlight=aa+battery+test

Do you have any other Rayovacs to test? I have the black top Rayovac 4.0 and I think they hold their charge pretty well. I opened new pack that I bought in December 2009 and each one of them had a charge. My Lacrosse says 1.28V on each one but I have no way testing the remaining mAh. This charger does tell me the capacities of them by discharging and charging them and then reporting the capacity. The Rayovac's capacity seems to be steady at close to 2100mAh.

I also have a bunch of Tenergy "LSD" cells. They are pure garbage. The capacities vary widely with them (~1000mAh to 2200mAh) tested with my Lacrosse. When I bought them new, I opened them right away and most of them did not even have a charge.

My newest LSDs are the Duracell white tops (Duraloops). They work very well and their capacities are around 2100mAh. I bought a package that was made in April 2008 and they still have plenty of charge with a starting voltage of 1.28V. I can't tell a difference in real life usage between these Duraloops and the black top Rayovacs. I have heard on other forums that the Duraloops/Eneloops discharge more slowly than the Rayovacs.

The only Rayovacs I am testing right now are the Rayovac Platinum rechargeables which have black tops and are actually doing pretty good since they are still at 100% after 14 weeks. I did have these Rayovacs but their charge dropped to 80% after just 3 weeks and then down to 60% a week later but then again these were not LSD cells. From the ones I have that are still at 100%, the Maha, Energizer and Rayovacs are NOT LSD cells yet they are still going strong.

If the Duracell white tops you have are made in Japan then they are Duraloops which are Eneloops in sheeps clothing and are also LSD cells. I would stick with the Duraloops/Eneloops if I were you because they are the best nimh lsd batteries out there. The colored Eneloop Tones are suppose to last even longer but since I just got them, only time will tell.