Coast HP550 at Costco for $49

as in ‘always’ if you let’s say shut off from Low mode. Again, there’s about a 5-sec delay from any mode including shut off from High to get back to High.

Or maybe we’re actually saying kinda the same thing but in a different way, I don’t know. 8)

Sounds like no memory, but if cycled in less than 5 seconds advances mode.

Listed here

it always happens, people will buy a ton from costco and then sell on on ebay with a marked up price to make money, but at 100 its just taking advantage of buyers imo

This light is much brighter than I first thought. Initially, I eyeballed it to be around 650 lumens on the widest flood beam. However, I found out last night that I get a much higher ceiling bounce when it is on full focus as you will see in a little bit.

First a look at my ceiling bounce results from Fenix TK41 (XM-L T6) using Eneloops with its corresponding lumens:

Fenix TK41 Low Medium High Turbo
Lightmeter 1.7 18.7 59.1 144.1
Lumens 10 108 335 800

Then look at what I got for the Coast, first with the Duracell provided, then with Eneloops:

Duracell Eneloop
Coast HP550 Low High Low High
Lightmeter 6 132 6.8 162
Est Lumens 30 739 35 895

Using the Duracell provided, the high was already 729 lumens. It got better when I used Eneloops, with a whooping estimate 895 lumens!! That is even higher than the TK41 in Turbo. I think that is pretty good for a $50 light at Costco.

The hotspot of the Coast is large compared to a TK41 so I don't expect the Coast to throw as well as the TK41. Also, the lumens drop quite a bit faster than the TK41 during the ceiling bounce test. Since I cannot figure out how to open this up without damaging it, I can only speculate that the heat sinking is not adequate for an XM-L driven this hard.

** All ceiling bounce results where taken around 5 seconds after turn on using a budget light meter I bought from DX

Does it suffer from any light loss if it’s zoomed in?

I get a higher result for ceiling bounce when it is zoomed in rather than zoomed out. Possibly the TIR lens was made to be more efficient when it is fully zoomed in? Maybe somebody who understands TIR lens better than me can explain this.

assembly. That and quality DMM measurements to first of all establish a baseline of what driver is likely sending to emitter. Of course ya gotta find a non-destructive way to get to the driver eventually . Regardless, this torch is still plenty bright with a bigger than most hotspot, apparent sags and all. And at $50, a great deal IMO.

That’s why I bought 7. So far.

@Jalben……. Yes, that’s essentially what I’m saying. No memory per se but advances to next mode.

in appearance. This lens slides (dynamic) with the assembly (just like a Sipik68 for general example) and as previously mentioned in my foregoing posts has an aspheric-like significant to overall lens ratio sized dome. I guess to me it’s an aspheric that sorta resembles a TIR because it’s partly concave and polycarbonate-type material. Those features do incline thinking towards a TIR but those are static in nature affixed over the led ‘permanently’.

Besides all that TIR lenses AFAIK don’t zoom. Maybe this is technically not a pure ‘aspheric’ and not enough TIR. Maybe it’s a ‘taspheric’. 8)

Ok,who's going to be the bold one and tear this sucker apart?I know it probably won't be easy,but I want to see this lights guts.If I only had a costco near me....

It’s a $100 light. :open_mouth:

Especially those who live in areas where this light is not available at local Costcos. I have to admit that I almost went for one of these ‘scalped’ lights on ebay because I couldn’t get one. Luckily, I thought of having a friend ship one to me.

I’m still waiting to get this light (UPS doesn’t deliver on Black Friday or weekends). But judging by the light output and my level of satisfaction with my older Coast P14 (a $70 light a couple of years ago), this light could very well be a $100 light. Especially since their HP14 (the newer version of the P14, which only puts out around 350 lumens) actually costs MORE than this one. I’m actually thinking that Coast probably used Costco as a way to test market this light, and is going to sell it for considerably more than $49. After all, if this thing lives up to hype, it’s EASILY better than the HP14 or HP17. On the other hand, it might be a replacement for the HP14. And perhaps the HP17 will get an upgraded LED.

If anyone wants to get rid of one, please drop me a line via PM.

And he’s running alkaline Duracell AA’s in the HP550. It’s brighter yet on Eneloops.

I’m not sure what he’s running in the TK60.

That doesn’t mean it’s a $100 light. 50 seems about right for a decent brand XML.

It’s on amazon for 74.99 or 80.98 (73.99 + 6.99 shipping) links: Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AALNQPK/ref=sr_1_5_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1353762065&sr=8-5&keywords=HP550+coast&condition=new

Really love the light. How did this deal slip buy me. I’m on here 6+ hours a day, everyday.

All those listings are just people reselling for profit.

Heres another one, 75$:

Looks like awesome deal for those who got it for 48.99$!
Now, if only Ebay had them for this price shipped worldwide lol.

Oh well, hopefully that multiple, hi-lumen AA lights will become more and more common.

well u gotta figure in ebay take 15% profit or was it 10% fee. Factor in 10-15 bucks shipping. Those who are selling at 73-75 are bearly making it, compared to those selling at 99 dollars.

If anybody is interested, here is a diagram of a Coast / Led Lenser optics. The lens is not shaped like any other lens I have seen before. The HP550 should have a similar if not exactly the same kind of lens. Notice that in the picture, it has the same slightly darker inner circle when fully zoomed out.

This image is lifted from a slide presentation on Flashlight Collimating System.