Coast HP550 at Costco for $49

by the second when in Post #94 there’s new beamshots and no one comments about that except speculations about lens design. Meanwhile this thing’s kicking A for $50……… :smiley: :cowboy_hat_face: 8)

If this vid had been about the ZY-T08 there’d be a passel of orgasmic………………………

“WOW, WOOOOOOOOOOW, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOW!!!” …………………

“OMG!!! ”I’M SOOOOOOOOOOOO BEYOND TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!!..…………

“NAME ME A LIGHT THAT CAN DO THIS!!!” NAME IT!!! GO AHEAD!!!..…………

“IT SMOKES ANYTHING I”VE EVER SEEN EVER!!!“ …………………………

:smiley: :open_mouth: :smiley:

I noticed it today as I was browsing the isles and was quite shocked. Costco stepped up and carried a REAL light! Although, it’s hard to be impressed by the output in a fully lit retail space. I was wondering how well it throws since it appears it’s not focused that tight.

They even advertise 1000 lumens! That’s approaching Chinese lumen math :smiley:

Still not a bad deal considering it’s a quality brand and actually uses a newer emitter.

I’ve been watching this thread and want at least one of these for Xmas, but my Costco doesn’t seem to have this.

Hi everyone, I’m a newbie here and am also on a budget. I love flashlights, and have read this forum for a while.

I am on a budget, and am trying to make two of these lights pay for themselves.

I was lucky enough to pick up a dozen of these lights (there are over a hundred left at Lakewood Costco in SoCal).

I’m selling ten of them with the goal of paying for two.

I bought them for $48.99 plus $4.29 tax.

I can fit them into a Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail box for about $12 and ship anywhere in the country including APO/FPO addresses.

I would need to pay about $3 in PayPal fees to take your money.

My total cost would be about $68 and change to get it to your door.

I’d like to make $7 per piece, so if anyone would like to get one and is willing to pay $75 total, shipped, please let me know! Just trying to help everyone out!

I was just talking to a friend of mine who works at Costco, he said the Coast HP550 is a brand new item and they ARE being distributed still to Costco stores throughout the US and not just California as some others have said. So if your Costco doesn’t have them yet, they should soon.

Okay, so I finally got the light that was sent to me on Monday. And just last night, I took a 2.5 hour walk during which I was able to give it a thorough run through. Here is what I have found about the light.

1. Yes, it’s certainly bright! Then again, you probably already knew that. Is it really 1000 lumens? I couldn’t tell you. But it certainly IS brighter than the 3xC Defiant I picked up at Home Depot earlier (which is rated at 550 lumens). On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to be as bright as my ROP 6xD Maglite (which typically puts out around 1100-1200 lumens - not sure how this translates to OTF). Considering this, and the fact that videos show it brighter than a Fenix TK60, I would say this rating is probably at least fairly close.

2. Battery runtime actually EXCEEDS expectations! Coast lists battery runtime as 2 hours and 15 minutes on high. My light was still going quite strong after a 2.5 hour walk. Not sure how much longer it would have gone. But the fact is that it exceeded expectations. Maybe this is because I used Duraloops instead of alkalines.

3. It actually felt nice to carry it. The light seemed fairly well balanced. And, although it isn’t terribly overweight, it has a nice heft to it that ‘pocket lights’ just don’t have. To get a better idea of how big/heavy this light is, think of a 2D Maglite.

4. The light seems to be quite ‘floody’. For whatever reason, this light just doesn’t have the tight hotspot that my old Coast P14 has. You would think that, given the fact that it is kind of a ‘big brother’ to that light, that would be possible. But zoomed out all the way, this light still has considerable spill. Think of the fixed setting on a Coast PX25 (if you have seen it), and this is about as tight as it will go. This isn’t really a bad thing, especially given the brightness. But some may or may not like this.

5. I like the styling of the light. This may not be a priority to many. But I have to say that I actually really like the styling of Coast’s lights. SO many other manufacturers seem to think they have to ‘overstylize’ their lights by going overboard with the ‘tactical look’. But not this light. You won’t find a crenellated bezel, overly angular features, or anything like that. Although it doesn’t exactly look like a Mag, it kind of follows along the same school of thought as far as having a simple, sleek, pragmatic look.

6. I can’t say I’m very impressed with the battery holder. This is one of just a couple of negatives I see with this light. Battery holders are a common failure point. And this piece is a little on the flimsy side. I just hope it holds up in the long term. Ideally, I would rather have seen this light run on D batteries so that a battery holder would be unnecessary. And maybe, with this light out on the market now, Coast will upgrade their 3xD HP17 (which already uses an XM-L) so that it uses the same LED as this one (which would basically make it an HP550 that uses D batteries).

7. My only other complaint about the light is brightness modes. I know that, as a $49 light, you can’t expect four or five brightness modes. But currently, the choice is between 1000 lumens and 40 lumens. And 40 lumens is just WAY too dim to be very useful on, say, a dark trail. I would much rather have seen something around 100-150 lumens for the low setting. This would allow me to dim the light if I don’t want as much brightness (or more battery life), yet still provide me with more light than an old-school incandescent. Interestingly, both the HP14 and HP17 (which both produce significantly less light on high) have low settings around 60 lumens.

So there you have it! Is this light worth $49? ABSOLUTELY! It’s not perfect by any means. But it’s still a REALLY good light. And it’s sure one helluva value!

It is right next to the enveloop AA which are on sale for $16. Got one and a pack of 10 AA. Thanks for the heads up.

saw them at the clovis costco. Played with it a bit... I'll have to wait on this though. Love the heft though.

Not a big display though (for Costco)

The display is about a 1/3 of what it was last week. 8)

Went in there today 12/11/12: There’s about half of the 1/3rd that was there last week. I would imagine pretty soon there’ll be half of the half of the 1/3rd before ya know it. :smiley: :open_mouth: H)

Yeah, some lumatic bought them out!

He thinks he’s trying to outfit Napoleon’s army or something. :smiley: :open_mouth:

Dang, that’s cool. A good mass marketed flashlight. I’m impressed, just not with the size.

If the ones listed on ebay were shipped without batteries, I think it would be much cheaper.

Hey Lunatic, figure any way to get this thing open? I bought the light and love it, but I want to see if modding the lens with a little reflective paint might pe possible. I know it will introduce artifacts to the image, but it’s free light if anything.

or at minimum a bunch of ape torque. :smiley:

When I get a chance I’ll try to grok this out some more in the garage. :open_mouth: 8)

I thought about the same thing btw regarding the black-out. Somebody’s gonna mod this eventually come h*ll or broken waters. :bigsmile:

In a flood to throw you want it dead black not reflective at all or it will throw a reflection of it I have a light that shows both solder blobs in the beam ..i need to go and blacken them out ..trust me you don't want to put reflective material in it ..If you want more light .. give it better batteries ..Are you running nimh's ? that will give you more output than messing up the beam or messing up the finish trying to get it open .

Thanks for the reply Boaz, I was sort of wondering what the result of reflective coating would be when placed on the black walls around the diode behind the aspheric lens. On a psude-aspheric lens like the hp550 has, I’m guessing it would produce similar results. I have read that although it will introduce some uneven visual artifacts, it still is “free” light, or light that would otherwise not make it out of the reflector. I know we’re talking about a very small of light to be gained from this mod if at all, but I wonder about weird things like this sometime.

This post seems to indicate that you can get some free if “dirty” light from an aspheric with a more reflective coating

“For single Aspheric Lens lights I have seen at least 20% and up to 40% loss in real OTF lumens as tested by MRGman. The Deft has 2 lens system, so it is better at sending more light OTF.

Nail_B Cree XR-E R2**,1D Mag1-IMR18650Aspheric,168.63 sec_,

Nail_B Cree XR-E R2**,1D Mag1-IMR18650Reflector235.03 sec_,

Then the Surefire M6 with 5 R2 emitters with reflector vs. Aspherics

Zep-5R2-SF M6 Host,3X_AW176705 Aspheric R2’s_474.83 sec_,

Zep-5R2-SF M6 Host,3X_AW176705 Cree R2’s863.63 sec_,

The aspherics tested with the LEDZep M6 drop-in were the black holder aspherics. I later put the crome aspherics and we saw 600ish OTF lumens vs. 478ish with the black aspheric holders.”

Thread with relevant information

all is conjecture at this point.

Send one of them to me and I'll open it up. :evil: