Collecting interest for a Sofirn C01 host version

If djozz does ask Sofirn to include an LED for this (which I do think would improve interest) it should be something they can quickly and easily source lest we discourage them even more from making any of these.

@David: the willingness to sell the C01 host is entirely because of my request, for the 6.5 dollar that it will be sold for I’m pretty sure they make zero money. So there is no chance that Sofirn will spend extra development time and costs on this host, like tuning the driver for a different current. It will also make the host less versatile because many 5mm leds (i.e. the coloured ones) are still spec’ed for 20 mA.

It could be possible that a component swap could change the output current…like if a certain value resistor is used for sensing the current, and could be replaced or paralleled to get a lower apparent current and cause the controller to increase output to compensate.

I know a CPF member who had VinH modify a Fenix E01 to lower the output to moonlight level. The C01 driver is supposed to be very similar. Since it’s a constant current driver, I’m sure it wasn’t as simple as just an inline resistor.

Olight just gave away who knows how many i3e lights, for just $5 (for shipping). And somebody had said that they’ve done it before. So, they must not be losing too much from it. I don’t see how a C01 host can be sold for $6.50 and make zero money. But I know I can be wrong about that. However, if they include a LED, then it’s a complete light, and they can sell it everywhere. Those cheap 100mA 5mm LEDs are not hard for anybody to source, if they have access to eBay. Perhaps asking Sofirn to “upgrade” the driver is a bit much, though. I thought that a simple resistor swap and a little bit of testing would be enough for that. Still, if they even just put a 20mA LED in the light, it will still make it appeal to more people, I’m certain.

The aim of this thread is a host, for people to use their own 5mm led.

Making a ready version of the C01 with a 100mA led (about 35 lumen?) is something quite different, and Sofirn would have to judge if it will sell. And at the moment they are extremely careful with new projects because they desperately need sales on their existing lights. (Personally I do not see a market for it, if you want more light there is plenty options with powerleds, like the C01S.)

How much bigger than Sofirn is Olight?, 50 times? Or more? They can do promotions like with i3s that Sofirn can not afford.

Okay. I will cease. :innocent:

And I can be wrong :innocent:

I’d be interested in 2 hosts

2 for me.

I think it hasn’t been posted here thus far:

There are still a couple of hundred 3200K Yujis available. IMO Sofirn should take that inventory and make some hosts and some complete lights.

Can’t they be forced to do the right thing somehow? :smiley:

If I had a spare $600 I’d get 100 of these and 100 of those LEDs and resell them for a little markup. I know I’d pay $10-12 for a C01. Figure there’s plenty of market on here for a small batch like that. If anyone decides to do that let me know.

Just purchased 25. Could always use a few spares :wink:

Put me down for 2, have a couple yuji 3200k leds.

Need to buy 100pcs to get at least 0.57 each. Shipping costs 17 to Singapore...:(

Editted.

Cost is $19 to me. Maybe we could get a couple more people and get 25 each at a reasonable price. If not I’d be down to do an order with you of 50 each so we could almost half the shipping. Any interest?

Just edited my location. :person_facepalming:

Ok, you’re buying those LEDs exactly why? I don’t get it.

I quoted that link not to have them spreaded around the world to get thrown away when you’re gone. But thanks for that. Not.

Is this host light going to become a thing at some point or are we just brainstorming still?

No brainstorming, this was discussed with Barry from Sofirn beforehand. If enough people want this it is going to happen. But the 60 or so from the interest list sofar are not nearly enough to start a production run. So unless by magic another 100 people sign up, this host is not going to be made. I am surprised though, this is a versatile host, I thought many more were interested. So I must have over-estimated the amount of people prepared to do some modding. Or the old truth still counts: lumens sell. And this is not a lumens type of light,

Maybe the absense of anything compareable to the Yuji LEDs distracts people from this idea.