Collecting interest for a Sofirn C01 host version

Yeah, this light was really hyped up around the Yuji LEDs and since those can’t be bought any more, people are surely having a hard time imagining a use for the host. Perhaps somebody should do a little investigative work and find another high CRI 5mm LED that people can buy.

I actually did try to do that, but no cigars yet and decided to move onto something else for a moment.

Maybe I will get to that again once I get more payoffs on my previous other investments.

That someone was there (rngwn) and he really tried but did not find a manufacturer who could deliver Yuji-quality 5mm leds. Maybe in the future.

But there are so many interesting 5mm leds around! I like all kinds of colour leds (I have some high output Nichia cyan leds, and Nichia 365nm leds. And a quality low CRI white led gets you 20+ lumen). They are all nothing compared to high power SMD leds, but the C01 is still a pretty indestructable host, that must be worth something.

Yes. To 60 people thus far, unfortunately :cry:

Dissapointing.

Yes to color 5mm LED’s!

If this happens, I’m going to put a color cycling RBG LED in one, and probably an amber (590nm) in the other. For $6.50 it will be a cheap way to make some simple, novel lights.

I’d enjoy making one of every single-color LED available, and generic warm white versions could be nice kids lights that I wouldn’t be as disappointed about losing as my Yuji CO1’s, but somebody else in my household would think I’m getting a little carried away if I bought a dozen or so of these hosts.

LED Supply has 9 different colored LED’s, plus warm white, cool white, and several wavelengths of UV and infrared:

For $5, you can buy one of every color, then test them to choose your favorite simply by slipping the legs over a CR2032 coin cell.

I suspect more people than have signed up would be interested, but may not be noticing this thread.

I will share information about this with a couple of the other forums.

Thanks for doing that. In my next mail with Barry I will ask what they consider a good number for them to consider production.

What do you think about this eBay listing for high CRI (95+) 5600K 5mm LEDs?

Good find. It looks like his chromaticity diagram shows a slightly below BBL DUV. CRI is good.

The forward voltage is high…surprisingly so for a modern LED.

Maybe if a BLF member were to grab those for the purpose of re-distributing here, there might be a bit more interest in this host? I don’t know if it would make more sense to make it part of this deal, for those who want it, or to start a new group buy. :smiley:

The beam of those 5mm leds is not perfect: a slight dark spot in the center and quite some tint shift (if the image is a correct representation of reality). But thumbs-up for the seller to provide so much detailed information about the leds he sells. He has 6000K too, but unfortunately no warm white ones.

He does not sell outside the US, or else I would buy a batch.

There are still 3200K Yujis left, but that hasn’t helped much raising interest in C01 hosts. Interest on TLF also was rather low. Ah, that’s all just restraint. If it’s here, it will be bought. I find Barry just have to have some confidence. And start producing. Now :+1: :smiley:

Nice mail-call today :slight_smile:

New guy here.
I would like at least 5. If it looks like the deadline nears and this looks to be a few short I’ll take a few more if that’s ok.

Thanks for letting me in the door and here’s hoping this is a go.

Only now I noticed that these hosts would come with the driver (that was my main “difficulty/concern”)!

If this is confirmed, put me for 4 hosts please!

Will we get notified through PM when these are available? Or only here on the thread?

Thanks in advance!!

Update:

I managed to find an Alibaba manufacturer which sells 95 CRI 5mm LEDs. I bought a bag of 1k pcs, will send a few to Djozz for testing once it’s arrived then sell the rest in a smaller package.

The one I bought is 3400k CCT, 96 CRI, with a bin slightly below BBL. The beam is 60 degree.

I will open a WTS thread once it’s arrived and/or tested.

Thanks, rngwn! Perhaps your good news will breathe new life into this host “project”. Or maybe Sofirn could even buy some of those emitters themselves and build more of the complete lights. Or both! :partying_face:

I’m looking forward to seeing the test results from djozz! Meanwhile, if you wanted to throw something together yourself just to show us a beam shot, I’m sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing it. :innocent:

Ok, add 3 more for me - total of 5

I struck a kind of a deal with Djozz. He will have 100pcs of these LEDs instead of a few, in exchange for two of these hosts.

If the interest list is long enough and this host is made, he will buy the hosts for me. Otherwise, he will get away with the rest of these LEDs after he tested.

Get him! :smiley:

P.S. The same manufacturer has also began experimenting with higher power rating using larger chip. My goal is to have the LED with Nichia GS-tier output and high CRI. They are still not certain about the outcome, but we may have even better news.

Higher power rating? If you can get at least 500mA in 5mm and/or 100mA in 3mm, I would buy a hundred or more of each! (depending on price, of course)

EDIT: Oh. Just looked at “Nichia GS” and saw they are 60mA for a 5mm LED. I could get 100mA 5mm all day long on eBay for a few bux a hundred. :cry: