Cree XP-L, XM-L performance in an XP size package

They use the same TIR for everything that will fit in the hole. (So does Ledil) I guess this would be a big step away from that since it would basically be a big-hole TIR just for the XP-L / XM-L / etc.

I have no idea what the market for one would be if it’s pure flood.

I can understand their concern. I know I want it, and so do at least a couple others here so far. If they're still hesitant, I may suggest a kickstarter for it, then at least those of us interested can pre order it and they'll take less risk.

Their main focus is fixed-lighting, I think it's just a coincidence that some of their parts happen to work acceptably well in our flashlights. I don't think they're gonna ever be interested in making parts specifically for flashlights.

They've offered to do a custom order before. I never followed up on the cost.

Maybe the cost of doing small-run (1000 units?) would pleasantly surprise us.

That's a last resort option, and one I hope that they'll do a kickstarter for instead of making us do a group buy. I figure if they do a kick starter, they're more likely to let their other clients know instead of having us flashlight enthusiasts go it alone.

You betcha! They’ll sell tons!

The important question is, are you okay with that 20mm XP-L optic having lots of flood and spill? It would be even more floody than you'd expect when going from XP-G2 to XM-L2.

Depending on use, flood can be the imperative. I can see it being very useful as a headlight, not so much for fine work, but larger areas, like in a mine/cave or something. Hunting through an unlit shed/room for a tool/item.

But I gather mules can do so too, Im not sure what the benefit would be over nothing except protection of the components and appearance and a mule could have plain glass lens. Not that appearance is nothing, in fact to me its somewhat critical.

@Legolas Jr and RaceR86, the choice is a Carclo 20mm quad XP-L optic with lots of flood and spill, or no 20mm quad XP-L optic. Carclo may not be able to provide a tighter beam. Do you want it if it's super floody?

@Ejected Filament, a mule (no optics) can work, but light escaping from the side of the emitter hits the inside of the head. Holding the lens up requires additional work. The Carclo should send most of that forward, thus improving efficiency, plus there's no lens to hold up since it is the lens. If Carclo doesn't make this lens, I'll make a mule.

Even the tightest of the 20mm 3-up TIRs (the 10511 with the front face polished) is, when compared to a reflector light, considered very floody. Even with the already tiny XPG2 dies. Still somewhat so when the XPG2s are de-domed. The intentionally-floody TIRs are basically the same as a mule light (10508/10509).

Lots of flood is okay, that’s mostly what a 20mm triple does anyway, right? :wink:

+1

Good to hear guys. Yeah, the way I figure, it was already mostly flood, so it might as well be really good at it.

Did they mention whether they expected to be able to maintain similar efficiency to their other TIRs?

I'd like to see a tiny little triple reflector, SRK-style. I'll have to make one of those I guess, huh? Anybody know of a good 11-12mm OD reflector to use as a starting point?

I’ve looked. All I found were the McR reflectors, which I couldn’t justify splashing for. I think the word on CPF is that they work well when bored out for the larger emitters.

10mm, 12mm, 16mm, etc

I don’t know anything about the Draco reflector, but those are 11mm and available at an even higher price:

I might have bought em all. :slight_smile:

They were in the garage sale or clearance area at $5 ea.

Sorry, it was the 17mm XR’s…

Sorry twice, upon examination of the index it is the 18mm that I got, probably got 10 or 12 of em and might have 3 left.

You really threw me for a loop w/ the 15. I remembered stopping myself from buying some McR reflectors at IS - but I didn’t 15mm. :slight_smile:

My memory is horrible, sorry