Cree XP-L, XM-L performance in an XP size package

Anything more than 11mm OD is going to need shaving down on the outside to fit 3 of 'em in a ~20mm host, I could probably manage to get that to fit. The 3XP board is right at 5mm from the center of the LED to the outside edge. Bigger than 11MM will need a host with a bigger head.

These are the S2/S6 20.5mm OD reflectors, sized to fit a C8. And those were hard enough... working in a max 20mm space would be a whole lot of not fun.

What an awesome job!

I guess 10mm is the way to go then. $14/ea adds up though - $42 before shipping for a triple, and that’s assuming that none get botched during the boring operation.

The are flat out awesome with a XPG2/N219: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1203502

But too big. Though one trick I have used before is that by chopping some off the front, so that the front opening gets smaller, it leaves more meat on the OD that's no longer needed and so the overall OD can be reduced. That might be the only workable option.

The picture with the Cree description looks like some of the phosphor is on top of the dome. That would make good sense for efficiency. I read a scholarly article point out that it is more efficient if the phosphor is away from the led proper, so it doesn’t emit back into the chip. That would not seem good for throw, but the dome doesn’t look much bigger than the chip.

The dome is clean and clear, and actually convex above the die on the inside, not in contact with the die at all making for easy de-domes that come clean.

I apologize if I’ve already shown this, can’t remember and am tired.

Great info DBCstm. What method do you recommend one use to dedome an XP-L?

Sounds like you could cut it off. Or is it too close to the die edge?

I put it in gas for a little over an hour and the dome flipped right off.

Is a dedome necessary? As I understand it, it is the contact of the phosphore with the dome that causes the decrease in luminance and increase in total light. Maybe it needs dedoming for a reflector light but not for a lens light? Maybe the gap is there for use in directional lighting.

The dome acts as a lens, and makes the apparent size of the die larger than it really is. You can see the lens effect in just about any photo (that's what fooled you earlier into thinking there was phosphor on the top of the dome).

Yes, but that can be compensated for in the external optics, maybe as easily as by using a longer focal length lens. Because of the focusing of the dome, it seems it would catch the same amount of light.

It’s the XML version of the XBH. Basically just an XML2 in a trimmed package…. no no improvement for throwers.

For flashlights, main use I can see is this might be usable on 20mm triple XPG stars. I’m not sure it will fit in the Carclo optics though, as the dome is larger than an XPG dome.

The picture with the Cree description looks like some of the phosphor is on top of the dome. That would make good sense for efficiency. I read a scholarly article point out that it is more efficient if the phosphor is away from the led proper, so it doesn’t emit back into the chip. That would not seem good for throw, but the dome doesn’t look much bigger than the chip.

I got my triple mcpcb and FET drivers yesterday. I can't wait to see how it does.

I did an output test on the XP-L, I'will try to do the write-up tonight or tomorrow. I managed to toast bond wires again :

Or a floodier XM-L like LED that is easier to work with on a small PCB

djozz wrote:

I did an output test on the XP-L, I'will try to do the write-up tonight or tomorrow. I managed to toast bond wires again :

Awesome news. Look forward to seeing that. Very sorry to hear about your emitter loss though. Thank you for yet again taking one for the team.

test here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/27500

@ImA4Wheelr: I like doing these tests (makes me feel useful I guess ), and don't mind blowing up a led every now and then, after all it is interesting to know how far they can be tortured :-)

Have you ever run a XT-E to failure in your torture dungeon?