D battery police style zoom XM-L t6 powerful flashlight/New to the market

Agreed. I think they are the same, but since the X6 and even the review of it on here have no mention of 26650 support, I had to ask.
I’m interested to see if ThunderInt can beat LightMalls on the price.
Sadly, I’m betting that the only way to find out about the drivers for sure is to try them.

I asked DX about the TF X6 and they confirmed; 18650 only. Gary confirmed in an email that their OEM X6 is 18650 only and tooling cost is too high to consider a change.

So the only one I found with support for 26650’s is the one at LightMalls (link above).
I also found this thread on the X6 for those wondering about the throw of the X6.

Why is it so dim?

I don’t see the point of a huge flashlight that needs 3 D batteries that only produces 350 lumens. Also don’t see the point of using an XM-L (which is a poor thrower by itself) vs a XR-E in such a weakly driven light.

A Fenix TK70 by way of comparison puts out 900 true lumens with 4 D alkaline batteries. If using NiMH, 3 batteries is sufficient to drive it at full power of 30+ Watts for 2200 lumens.

Surely a 3 D flashlight can produce more than 4 Watts of power…

“I don’t see the point of a huge flashlight that needs 3 D batteries that only produces 350 lumens”

Some of us are not buying it for the lumens, lol, it’s a good size for bouncing off skulls, but not as heavy as a 3 cell mag!!

Quite right tommy, but a mag is too heavy and can do serious damage, if it came to a court case, it could possibly lead to an “offensive weapon” charge!!,
A lighter torch while still effective, is a better bet.
Plus, try doing a 12hr shift with a heavy mag on your belt.

“heavier is better………… if you cant wield a 3 cell Maglite, your arms must be painted on”

It’s mostly not about extra weight but about how fast you can wield it. Totally agree a lighter torch is more than adequate.

nottawhackjob

The pics are the same as all TF-X6 around the web, it looks strange that it's compatible with 26650, IMHO

By the size of a 26650, the body should appear much more fatty than it looks. Isn't it that those adapter tubes are for 16340?

I did notice that too and why I decided to hold off purchasing it. Something just doesn’t seem right.

Back to topic, if that D-cell light has a zoomable selector ring in thet position (the bright silver one in the picture) it makes me think that it uses the same mechanical of the little cheap light I reviewed here https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14126

If it's the same system, the emitter is fitted on a sort of floating dish, which has thermal path only through the threaded legs that move it up and down, so a very poor thermal design for an XM-L which is well known to heat a lot when properly driven.

Also that design implies very poor water resistance, if any at all...

Has anyone heard from gary in the past couple of weeks??

Back off topic, I’m just saying that my TK70 with 3 D batteries (no extender) puts out 2200 lumens. Even on alkalines it can hit high mode for 900 lumens.

Surely they could have driven the XM-L at 2.5 amps for a light this big. Also, keep in mind that you can always use a light with 2 hands as a weapon. I mean, unless you carry a Shield or Dualwield :wink: the lights theres little reason to use a weapon 1 handed vs 2 handed, since you get so much more speed and power.

It always give me a heartwarming feeling when manufacturers come directly to the flashlight community for ideas and suggestions. It shows they are serious about their products and appreciate our input.

Well done all you manufacturers who want to take their products to the next level instead of just making a quick buck with poor quality products.

Bravo Gary

Wondering how that lime green “container” can effectively double as a 18650 battery charger/cartridge (integrated dummy cell) as described? If the charger circuit goes kapoot, would it still work as cartridge-dummy cell?

Could be interesting for $25 shipped epacket.

I have thought about such adaptercartrige too, there are many step down regulators on eBay it would be easy to build one in a plasticsheet…

I like the 3D flashlight, if shipping weren’t equal the item price I would order one instantly.
But I would like to know some specs, how many modes(real switch or only momentary) and on which current is the LED driven in the modes…

The best would be if you send some samples to forum members to make a review and to figure the specs out.

Update for the forum…….

Gary has resigned from thunderint, they now only sell through aliexpress, still no paypal, and shipping has gone up to $16.57.
SO it’s a non starter for me.