DBC2, EDC Quad XP-G3, now DBC-04 with XP-L2 and Carclo quad optic

A beautiful light and liking how well the XPG3’s worked out. Plus the runtime.

Some of my best reworks and inventions come from boredom coupled with a large dose of “I wonder what will happen if I try this?” mixed in. Never let your own mind or conventionality restrict you to blandness. Dare to do your own thing!

Phil

Thanks Phil.
I think it’s funny that I built my own light, then turned around and modded it. hahahahaha (and then again!) :wink:

Why not? It’s all about having fun which it seems you’ve done well with. And when it comes out this nice there’s even more fun :+1:

Phil

That’s a very nice build! I like the pureness of the light. Just raw high quality metals and parts, machined to perfection with the single purpose of illumination. A craftsman’s work of art!

I sure enjoy your build threads. They are inspiring and useful……not to mention entertaining.

And the backstory of sedatives brings to mind the value of getting into the moment and doing something with one’s mind and hands.

Being able to get out to the shop and create is probably one of the best therapies of all.

Thank y’all, I gotta admit it’s rewarding in the pride department. :slight_smile: I really like the two lights I’ve made from scratch, this little one just really appeals to me somehow, can’t quit playing with it.

Awesome flashlight…. as always :beer:

Awesome light. Love it.

I dropped this at the bottom of the OP, but for the sake of easy viewing…

A quick beamshot at about 35 yds…

Beeeeautiful work dude!

Wow how did I miss this thread until now?

It has been said multiple times through the thread but , Beautiful work Dale!!!

Mad scientist or not , so far what I have seen come off that lathe is absolutely great work.

Output matches the build too looks like and is also great , keep up the good work.

Back on December 22 of 2015 I modified my full Copper X5 into a Quad and have had it on my person since even before that, since the day I got it as a sample (Nov 4, 2015). Today, I made a horizontal weak hand carbon fiber print belt holster for my new DBC-02. So the little X5 has been bumped and will no longer be my EDC. When I’m talking about flashlights somewhere, I can pull this one out and proudly proclaim “I build flashlights!” :smiley:

From scratch, in this case, without so much as a plan. That’s a pretty cool feeling, to be honest. lol And do you know what? BLF made it possible, if inadvertently. For those that don’t know or remember, my lathe was bought by BLF members for Old-Lumens when he lost his job… he couldn’t keep it for various reasons and handed it down to me. For which, I’m eternally grateful, to BLF and especially Justin for thinking about me in the first place. And, ironically, it was Justin’s first Hand Built Scratch Challenge that taught me I could build a flashlight from scratch in the first place, in that instance I built a flashlight from a live .50 BMG cartridge.

I won’t be forgetting, you can bank on that… and one more ironic but cool factoid? Without realizing it, I wandered out to the shed and made this DBC-02 on Tuesday of this past week right? When Justin was having surgery that very same day… freaky, isn’t it?

Dale,

There are a whole slew of people with imagination and skill that drive all of us.

Contrary to what you believe, you, along OL etc etc are in that hall of Fame. Basically - Thank YOU! ;)

....Oh yeah.... I still want one of those of the cuff jobs ;)

That’s a nice light Dale. I do like the seamless change in metals.

Great job!!

Nice work Dale. That’s one bright little quad EDC!

Say, what functionality did you lose with the lighted tail cap? Just the short/medium button press functionality of Bistro?

Yeah, I didn’t have a bleeder resistor on this driver of Richards, this is the NUV one with the positive lead in a via in the center, wasn’t sure how to do the resistor. I like the reverse function, that meant a lot more to me than a lighted tail cap.

Dale, did you use PL1151xx Khatod?

EDIT: Is Khatod’s beam profile that much nicer than Carclo’s?
From those two pics I can only tell it is more floody.

Yes, the Khatod PL115106 narrow beam.

Thanks! I have a project idea, now I’m looking for inspiration and doing research.