Difference between Opus BT-C3400 & BT-C3100 v2.1?

I’ve got the 3100 v2.2 from gear best (a few weeks ago) I got the fans at the same time from gear best.

EDIT: I have to thank NEV for inspiring me and following up on his idea when he revealed the specs. for the Gearbest fan.

This is too exciting to keep it from all of you,I still love all of you!!!

This tells the tale of the fans. The # of blades do make a difference.There will ALWAYS be more drag w/ 9 blades than 5……HOWEVER, I admit that this groundbreaking info below is the PRIMARY reason and difference b/w the Gearbest Fan and Original Opus fan.

Gearbest Fan: 9 Blades/12v/0.04a

Opus Fan- 5 Blade-5V/0.13A/

The Opus has slightly more than 3X the Amps and is also “Hypro Bearing” Like “rdana” mentioned in my earlier post.

_

Other exciting “Fan” news: “speaker_joe” emailed me out of the blue,he has been following this thread somewhat.

He is going to send me a sample of a DELL fan to see how it works in the Opus. I have no idea what the specs are except for its size which is almost identical to the Opus and G’best fan,that is 25mm x 25mm x 10mm.

The Dell is the same except it is 9mm in height,Length and width are the same.

The output is what I am anticipating!

I know I am popular but did not realize how many “Fans” I am getting!!!The negative of that is One of the screw holes in my Opus is stripped. The screw goes right into the board which is not metal, it is fiberglass.

I will check in from month to month w/ more exciting FAN news,my FANS are everywhere!!

Also the Old Opus fan is 5v——no wonder why the Gearbest is spinning so slow—-if it’s only getting 5v

I found this one—might have to add your resistor—can you believe these things will turn 12000 rpm

I’m doing side by side charge/discharge test quads in both 3400 and 3100 —the 3100 has the original fan (like wolfdogs) the 3400 has the replacement I purchased at Gearbest—-just from what I can hear (my wife says I can’t) the 3400 seems to be screaming louder—
they definitely changed something in the circuit

?? The Opus is 5v x0.13a =.65watts. Gearbest is 12v x 0.04a=0.48w and my Delta[getting 3 samples!] I just found out will be 12v x 0.08a=0.96watts!

This is also very interesting,speaker joe is very smart,an engineer . Also a very nice guy to donate 3 fans,all 4 of my screw holes will be stripped soon!

Oh one more thing I wanted to add which will hopefully help you.

The original fan has an inline resistor added to it, this is why the fan is 5v, the terminal on the pcb is probably providing unregulated 12v (obviously the external PSU is regulated). The 5v fans is a probably the cheapest they could find and they just added a resistor to divide the voltage, I would think the gearbest fan is better at least in that regard. Do not use a 5V fan directly on that board, it will almost certainly blow out or die within days.

OK, thank you for the info……. :+1: … :beer:

Well thank goodness you are back from the ’brink’ wolfdog!!! I’m glad you didn’t go over the edge. :smiley:

That is some interesting info too.

My spare fans that came from GearBest had no label or marking on them at all.

I got them back in February.

Yep, that would do it. Good find. :+1:

Pull the blade guard off & you will see a black pvc type of cover ( it looks like it’s black plastic) ,peal it away & the sticker underneath has the speks on.

Thank you for sharing that Nev… it was just as you said. :+1: … :beer:

I only have the 3100. When the Gearbest fan was in I literally had to put my ear up to it to hear it,it was so quiet I did not think it was working!!

I am NOT clear on your quote? Was it a Typo when you said?

“chops728 wrote: Also the Old Opus fan is 5v——no wonder why the Gearbest is spinning so slow—-if it’s only getting 5v.

The gearbest is NOT 5v it is 12v unless you have a different GB version, ONLY the Opus is 5v but it is turned into 12v!!.

speaker_joe explained it well below:

“Oh one more thing I wanted to add which will hopefully help you.”

“The original fan has an inline resistor added to it, this is why the fan is 5v, the terminal on the pcb is probably providing unregulated 12v (obviously the external PSU is regulated). The 5v fans is a probably the cheapest they could find and they just added a resistor to divide the voltage, I would think the gearbest fan is better at least in that regard. Do not use a 5V fan directly on that board, it will almost certainly blow out or die within days.”
_

He explained a lot to me,can not remember a lot of it! ,that is why I save emails!

More wattage does not always equal better or more CFM it just means it is going to draw more power. We would need to know the efficiency of the fans to figure out which will perform better. That said I would easily lay a bet that the Delta is going to be more efficient and coupled with higher wattage it’s going to be a much better fan at moving air. There is a lot that goes into designing these devices, the shape of the blade for instance.

The fans I have are 5 blade, 12v 0.08A (0.96 Watt) a bit more than the original Opus spec that you quoted. Both the Opus and Gearbest fans are built to budget rather than quality which is understandable for their end market.

The fans I have are Delta (not Dell), Delta is a top tier fan and power supply manufacturer used by major brands including Dell, Cisco, Apple etc. These fans are expensive, the original OEM cost is probably half the cost of the Opus charger!

The most important things to look for in a fan are CFM (how much air they move), RPM, and noise. I would add bearing type however you can ignore the specs for anything that uses a sleeve bearing as that decision is simply made to cut cost in most cases.

HKJ predicts the Delta fan will also be louder which makes sense when you look at the specs of the Gearbest/Opus and Delta………more POWER/MORE RPM/More noise!

I already experienced it with the opus and Gearbest. Not just the power but the 9 blade gearbest does NOT excel in CFM.

,that is enough Info for One day!

I framed 5000 sq ft homes and didn’t read that much information HAHA
I have fooled around with lots of PC fans and resistors to slow them down ETC—— the Mod where the guy makes a new base for a 80mm fan would be an outstanding upgrade—- a 80mm @ 400rpm (est) would produce so much more cooling than this tiny excuse for a fan

• wolfdog got his 3100 v2.2 a few weeks ago & it has the resistor modded 5 blade 5V fan
    Opus Fan- 5 Blade-5V/0.13A/
  • Nev got his 3100 v2.2 a few weeks ago & it has the 9 blade 12V fan
  • Not sure or forgot when chops got his 3100 v2.2 but he says his fan looks like wolfdogs 5 blade
  • I got my 3100 v2.2 May 2016 at IMR Batteries. Mine appears to also look like wolfdogs 5 blade

Soooo it would appear that wolfdog & Nev got theirs about the same time.

• Nev apparently got a new updated fan version
  • wolfdog apparently got an older version not “fan updated”
  • chops & I apparently also have versions not “fan updated”…… I know mine is older anyway.

And the replacement fan fro GB also works in chops 3400 :slight_smile:

Just a brief summary………

Teacher,that is Incorrect!!

I got my charger 2 months ago[ not that important] and NEV bought Gearbest spare fans when he got his Opus!!

That is NOT the fan that came w/ his Opus! :wink:

He will confirm that as he did in an email to me and the info. that you just quoted of his!

Edit: Shared information,NEV TO Wolfdog!

Mine is the 9 blade ,like the one on the right,the gear best replacements are identical.
On the label on the replacements it says 12v , 0.04amps. I didn’t check the label on the original fan ( I’ve put the original back in the opus ).

Part of the mix up may be the NEWER OPUS CHARGERS are ALL going to have 9 blade ball bearing fans according to “rdana”

If that Original fan on NEV’S opus looks identical to his spares, then he needs to take the label. I would bet it is a 12v fan whose label/specs do NOT look like the gearbest replacement!

The suspense is killing me!

Just a general thought here,one of my pet peeves.

It bothers me when “People only respond to what they want to respond to”! That and not responding at all.

It is prevalent in these forums, work, friends and family relationships!

I’ll get back to you and your “general thoughts and pet peeves” later wolfie…. count on it. :slight_smile:

As far as what Nev said……… here it is in black and white….

FTR

———————————————————-

Ok,BLACK AND WHITE but NO description of specs!!!

,like I said,he needs to take the label off!! rdana told me from now on the new Opus would have a 12v/9 blade fan!!!

You need to take your original OPUS fan label off to add to the drama and mystery!! It is probably like mine unless yours is 2 years or so old!

As far as getting back to me about my pet peeves,it is unnecessary.

Is this what every body is trying say——- start at 1:00

Are you Ok wolfdog?? Seriously. :slight_smile:

What you are writing is not making any sense.

I think Nev has “taken his label off”… he told me how to do it.

Nev has already said he has a 12v 9 blade.

I have already said my fan is most likely like yours. A 5v 5 blade with resistor.
I have already said I got mine in May 2016… right at a year ago.

And then you write with BOLD letters and have many !!! (EXCLAMATION Marks) behind things.

It is as if you are mad.

What is wrong with you my friend? It is as if you are not comprehending what you are reading…. and it appears to have happened on at least one other thread very recently too.

If you aren’t feeling good go get checked out.

I am simply trying to keep up with all this massive amount of information & mis- information created as more fact is revealed here on this thread.

And then you throw in the post about “your pet peeves”… obviously aimed at me.

I am confused as to why you did that? Was there something you asked I did not answer?
IF there was, all you had to do was ask or say something. But it hardly warrants you implying I pick & choose what I answer.Cause IF it did happen it was not intentional. There is a lot going on in this thread.

I am shocked actually that you implied that. That is why I am concerned that you are actually medically Ok.

I hope you are, & I’ll be glad to know that for sure.
………………
Edit: _Thanks to whoever gave me the RUDE vote for this one. :wink:

:smiley::smiley::smiley: . Yep, that seems it would just about sum it up. :wink:
Edit: In fact, let’s just have it right here chops… :wink:

Who is on First?

I do not know!

Wolfdog just hit a Grand Slam!!