DIY 4*18650 batteries charger with TP4056 paralel problem with how to balance it

To adjust cell voltage by bleeding with a resistor, monitor the voltage with a voltmeter so it doesn’t go too low. Make jumper wires with alligator clips on the end, or hold them in place by hand. It is only a temporary thing, not to be installed on your board.

Keep the resistor in place until the voltage drops to same as the lowest cell. Repeat for the other 2 cells. Then you should be okay to connect the 4 cells in parallel.

The resistor must be rated at least 1 Watt or preferably 5W, because it will get hot. The value can be anything from 40 to 100 Ohms, 40 will go quicker. 20 will go even quicker but must be rated 5 Watts for sure and it will get very hot.

dear by changing the board I’m not solving the balance problem you are trying to solve the power supply .
i need to balance them because od the batteries for the vape (dampfer ) and unbalanced batteries would make a big problem .
if i use this board or another i will need to balance it because not all the batteries charge at the speed so tell the other are charged may be 2 or one not fully charged and i may end with unbalanced batteries and overcharged others

I need a permanent solution cz im need to charge the vape batteries and they need to be balanced each time i use them . but how to instal it permanent on the board after the tp or before it

if you are building the device shown in the utub video, then you don’t need to worry about balancing. They will be charged to 4.2 and then the tp4056 will stop charging.

If the cell voltage drops below 2.5 the tp4056 will disable charging as that is considered an unsafe condition, and that device will not charge them.

Please find an electrical expert in your local area to check your circuit and give you assistance, this can be very dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing and how the circuit works.

BUT AS I KNOW IF THERE IS ONE CELL CHARGING SLOWER THAN THE OTHERS THEN Won’t I END WITH SOME PROBLEMS……………are u sure that there is no need to balance them???

2* http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_424662.html
Or just one, wouldn’t make a big difference.

The cells get charged to 4.2V. you do that twice and have all 4 batteries fully cahrged.
THat’s it, you don’t need moire.

You also can use thas TP4056 thingy.

Edit: Sent you a PM

There are two leds on the board, one indicates charging in progress, the other indicates done. Since each cell has it’s own board, then you can look to see when each is done or still charging.

Just to be clear, that device in the video is not a balancing charger—it merely charges each individual cell up to the max, and there are 4 of them together. The title of the video is not an accurate description.

Good luck with your build.

hi all i completed it but i do need one more thing that how to put more battery percentage meter for each battery if it possible

Do you have a voltmeter? Measure each cell and post the results here to see how balanced/full they are.

First, OUT+ and B+ are common.

You're taking out common power from independently TP4056 managed high discharge cells? Nonsensical, like building the house from the roof. Current output is limited to single 8205A MOSFET/cell, which is inefficient and straight crippled.

Set all cells in parallel: single combined cell with four TP4056 engines. No balancing required, no need for diodes (don't take the output from these inadequate protection circuits).

If protection is required, connect cellpack to a set of these: 1S 3.7V 18650 Lithium Battery 15A Charge Protection Board 6MOS Spot Welding Para (up to 8 boards for the full continuous current delivery of the named cells). BMSs only require a flimsy wire to B+/P+ for power input, all of the B- board inputs fed with equal lenghts and combined wire gauges from the cellpack, and the same goes with the output wires from the P- leads.

Cheers ^:)

paralleled 4056 work just fine.they will terminate at different times at end of charge.in my experience its no problem.
no diodes,switches,resistors needed.
think of them as fancy 7135.

only need to balance the cell when config Series, if you battery pack is something like 1s4p or 1s10P, you dont need to balance

THANKS GUYS FOR UR HELP i appreciate it :+1:

Hi, my name is Renato, I’m not electronic expert (I’m just an retired curious) and this is my first post in this forum. I saw this is a flashlight forum but as I didn’t find help anywhere else…

Thinking about regulators like LM317, LM338, LM350 etc., in parallel, I’m thinking I could make something like the follow schematic:

As I saw kokokazen inserting a load WITH the batteries charger (an resistor), maybe…

The MP3/Blutooth/FM/USB player manual says it must be feed with 12v. But I saw this player have a LM7805-like regulator in the very begin (start?) of the circuit. So I soldered a jump between pins IN and OUT and this can be feed with 5v. I’ve tested that and it seems to works fine this way. The information I have is this device asks for 200mA. The amp is based in the PAM8403. They say this efficiency is about 85%. It delivers 3w@4ohm per channel.

I think 1A is very few for this set (player + amp), so I’m going to try to double TP4056 and XL6009.

My doubts:

1 - May I charge and drain the batteries (it promisses 8800mAH) at the same time? Wont this overload TP4056 (charge manager)? Or at least get TP4056 a little “confused”?

2 - Doubling TP4056 and XL6009 could realy offers more ampers to the sound set?

3 - Could I insert an USB output parallel to the sound set and use this as a power bank for a cell phone? Listening music and chargin the phone at the same time?

Any suggestion, tip, comment will be welcome as I’m just a begginer diyer. Last I’d like to apologize for some misanderstanding due not-too-good english. Ask me what you want, please.

Thank you.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking maybe a common ground…but don’t think they TP4056 is ground isolated…might just burn up the chips

They do have newer TP4056 modules that have battery protection circuits built on them now…

As others have said in parallel the batteries autobalance, however if you have a weak/drainy cell in the paralleled battery it will slowly drain the rest of them down.

8800mAH batteries are massive Chinesium BS….best batteries in the world max brand spanking new is like 3200mAH…

That is the whole premis behind adafruits poerboost

5vdc in, charge a LiIon battery, then take that lower LiIon voltage and boost back up to a stable 5vdc for charging or whatever, to get higher voltages those buck/boost converters are ok…but terribly inefficient.

Almost exactly like this module (except this one has variable output volts)

but don’t expect more than an amp or two at higher output volts

My replies in bold/underscore

Always charge a LiIon slowly…they are designed for a slow charge, but capable of massive discharge currents, if you try to charge a LiIon too fast it can overheat and go into thermal runaway (NOT A GOOD THING!)

Thank you, WarHawk, for the answer!

And here we go: as a can understood, I can consider these batteries lost money. If it’s correct, I’ll search for good ones, max 3.200mAh. We don’t have many choices in my countery but… some brand to indicate?

And I understood that I can’t join the output of the 2 XL6009. Can’t I do that even using a diode to be sure the current of the outputs don’t “reflow” between them?

Well… as I saw around, in Internet, some people uses just one 18650 to feed PAM8403, and it seems ok. So, if it’s confirmed that I can’t link the XL6009 in parallel (as I can do with other regulators like LM338), I will unjoin these 2 XL6009’s outputs. And as the chinese player tooks something like 200mA, I can use the player’s TP4056-18650-XL6009 to charge cell phones. The other TP4056-18650-XL6009 will be exclusive to PAM8403.

The device you show (a charge manager and a stepup device together) I think I can join my TP4056 and XL6009 and use this. I don’t know if you can see in your country but the EBay link you sent say they don’t send this board to Brazil. Actually it’s not that easy to buy things from other country on line, via Internet…

Almost last, the charge manager I have is not quite equal the one in the picture I’ve send, wich have just one chip. Actually the mine one have 2 outputs (there is not else references but the number 03962A in the board and it have not just one chip in there but 3 chips: TP4056, itself, DW01A and 8206A). The output’s indication is, one for the battery and the other… well, you say I can charge and use at the same time, I imagine that the second output is useful for that. I’ll try, let’s see.

And very last, if I’m not boring you, what do you think to use an electrolitic capacitor, say, 1000uF (16v) in line with the PAM8403’s power circuit? I say that because a flashlight demand current continuosly (and that the battery can hold) but the amp is a PWM: as far I read around, if the volume is low or the music is only treble tones, this amp asks few current. But if one up the volume or if the sound is bass, the amp asks for more current. Do you recomend this capacitor or it could be dismissed at al?

Thanks again.

Capacitor close to the input line of the PAM is always a good thing…it’s a filter cap which holds a tiny bit of current as the amp pulls from the battery…always good to put something like that on audio…helps cut down on hum or changing voltages/current draw

Yeah, that board is more or less that TP4056 board and XL6009 in one

You could also build your own (ran across this while googling)
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/u9rscwQi

After checking out this PAM8043's datasheet, my advices for rmlazzari are:

• Your “8800mAh” batteries/cells are duds, as WarHawk-AVG tells. Their actual rating is likely to be well under 1Ah, likely to be manufactured in some sort of shady company.
  • You should protect the cells, can do it with protected TP4056 modules; these modules share common ground, cells are connected to B- output pin. With just one 8205A MOSFET, each one should handle an average of 2 to 3A.
  • Unify your power source: set cells/chargers in parallel, helps with power management.
  • XL6009's datasheet advertises “5 to 32V” input voltage range, this means such setup is likely to fail (use MT3608 modules instead).

You can charge and drain simultaneously, but make sure cells are properly set in parallel and to use same lenght and wire gauge to each B- pin. Take power to the boost modules out of P+(B+) and P- pins.

Actual current output rate for TP4056 modules was measured in review once at ≈0.85A (could use three input units).

Increasing the boost stages is what will really offer more power reserve to your amplifier module, you could set a couple MT3608 at the recommended 5.5V output voltage, but please do so with the tightest error marging to minimize quarreling potential.

Cheers ^:)