DIY - Budget Light Box/For Pics

Insane max shutter speed ??
I often have to use 1/6000 to 1/8000 :smiley:
f1.8 1/6400sec ISO100

I wanted a very shallow depth of field hence the f1.8, best quality so ISO100 and left the camera to choose the speed, my camera goes up (down?) to 1/8000
Then there is the other end of the scale :smiley:
f16 118sec ISO100

The exif is in both pics

Sorry for the hijack kronological :wink:

Cheers David

Uh, true if you go off topic. My advise is limited to his situation.

The images were not off topic, they were posted to show that no settings on a camera are insane and were in response to “the insane max shutter speed” statement, the settings are all there for a purpose and whatever it takes to get the best image quality under the circumstances are the ones to use.

To repeat what I posted earlier altered to make it generic.

Make sure that all of the lights are the same tint and use auto white balance.

ISO100 gives the best quality so use that, slow shutter speeds are not a problem when using a tripod.

Use A (Nikon) Av (Canon), on a small sensor I would start at f4 or f5 and go up from there, take the shot and check that all the flashlight is in focus, or not as required.

Let the camera sort out the shutter speed, if it gets it wrong then its time to go into full manual and play with the speed.

These are STARTING settings only, take some images varying the settings to see what they do until you find just what you are after.

Most of all have fun :partying_face:

Cheers David

Thank you for all the responses…now I’m really confused…lol. Just kidding.

So…I set the Kodak Z990 to ISO 125 and f4.5, and then took 6 pics with different exposure times (.5 to 1/30th of a second).

Side note…the odd thing is that when I reviewed the properties tab for each photo, the fstop was listed at f5.6 for each photo, even though I reconfirmed that the Kodak was set to f4.5…huh?

Anyhow…I think the 1/20th of a sec. looks best.

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/2 sec. exp. ^

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/4 sec. exp. ^

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/6 sec. exp. ^

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/10 sec. exp. ^

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/20 sec. exp. ^

^ ISO 125, f4.5, 1/30 sec. exp. ^

I will increase the quality/size once I have these other settings dialed in.

What else should I do? Thoughts?

I think this looks perfectly good for reviews. You stumbled upon something similar to what I do if I want an all white background. I simply use poster-board and curve it like what you did. The equivalent in portrait photography that you’re emulating is called a “cyc wall”. In my case I use external diffused lightsources (which you are emulating with the lights around your light box).

It looks like you already figured out exposure but if you want to know more, Google “exposure triangle” to understand the inter-relation of shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

Personally, I don’t like taking pictures with lower shutter speeds, especially since I take most of my shots hand-held. I’d at least double the ISO and halve the shutter speed accordingly. If you are using a tripod with a remote release, this is not an issue. If you are hand-holding the camera, motion blur is an issue with slower shutter speeds.

FWIW - For products, I’m usually targeting at least 1/100sec on a 50mm lens at my desired aperture (2x Shutter Speed to Focal Length rule … 50mm = at least 1/100sec). My ISO is normally set to around 400 because I prefer to run a slightly higher ISO and lower brightness on my light sources (to have faster cycling times on the flash).

Thank you for the insight.

I use a tripod, and use the 2 second delay because the camera is not equipped with remote release.

I think my camera was also set on macro (flower icon). Should I only use that for extreme close-ups, or is that OK for the above pics?

Way to go :+1:

Now try different f stops, higher f numbers means slower speeds.
While you are googling “exposure triangle” search for exposure stops, take a good look at the image below, f stops do not go 2 4 6 etc

Each one is one stop of light, one stop = halving/doubling the exposure.
eg:- f4 at 1/100sec is the same exposure as f8 at 1/25sec, two f stops up and two speed stops down.

And there endeth the lesson :student: :wink:

Have fun with it.

Cheers David

Edit, the macro setting might give you less depth of focus/field, hey it costs nothing but a couple of minutes so try it :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice setup, very similar to the cheap box/setup I bought at Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CX9S8A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's a few bucks more, but very portable - folds up nice to put away.

Can't help you out much with the camera settings. I use a pocket size Panasonic Lumix w/zoom. Typically I'll go with semi-auto settings.

Wow, looking good on the 1/20. :slight_smile: Awesome job!

Nice going krono. Has the camera bug bitten yet? :slight_smile:

Speaking of MRsDNF’s camera bug, you might be interested to know, with a program like PaintShop Pro (or the like) you can use a background eraser brush to scrub out the white background. It takes some careful adjusting on it’s edge detection setting, but the result is basically just like a Apple iPhone advertising image. The object looks perfect, and has no visible background. And if you save into a format like PNG, the flashlight will sit flawlessly on a webpage with a background. The webpage background would reach right up to the flashlight like magic.

Of course this is too much fiddling if you aren’t having fun. But if the camera bug has bitten, it’s like an addiction :slight_smile:

It is addicting! Just what I need…another one…lol

Any how…I slightly changed some settings (mostly to 1/25th shutterspeed) and took pics at different angles, cropping a few of them:

Whadya think :question:

Dang, those look incredible! You’re a pro!

Well done, they look great but the question remains “did you have fun

Be careful, if you think flashlights are expensive wait until you start pricing photo gear :money_mouth_face:

Cheers David

Edit, just thought I would mention, dust and fluff are close ups worst enemy :wink:

I couldn’t resist erasing the background on one to take it up a notch :slight_smile:

It is a lot of fun…but I’m not ready to plunk down a lot of money on gear…yet :sunglasses:

Should I hit the subject with some compressed air before hand?

Nice…you sure did that quickly!

The black against white made edge-detection easier to set. The silver front was a bit trickier. But the front was so in-focus it was fairly fast too :slight_smile:

It’s coming up nice. I like all the closeup shots. Looks very sharp

Very nice krono. Your going yo put the rest of us to shame. :wink: