DIY - Budget Light Box/For Pics

Josh…are you using paint.net? I have been playing around with it.

I haven’t figured out edge-detection yet, but I did find it pretty easy to use the Magic Wand feature to isolate the flashlight, and then change the background to pure white.

This is a pretty awesome and fun program! I’ll post some results later…

Thank you. I’m pretty happy with the results, especially using a lower-end camera.

Ha…I don’t know about that! But I appreciate the props! :smiley:

I purchased Corel’s Paint Shop Pro X7, that’s what I used.
I can’t recommend it solely because it constantly harasses me with pop-up windows to buy the newer version of the same exact same program! Even when the program is shut off and I am not online! There’s a “don’t show again” check box, but it only works for a week because they just change the format of the ad campaign like weekly and call it new. Someone at Corel needs their ass kicked.

That’s a good way to run off customers! I know I wouldn’t be using it for long! :rage:

I’m not sure what the Corel software cost you, but paint.net is free (shareware/donation) and there are no harassing pop-ups asking for money or promoting/advertising other products. :+1:

There are also plenty of helpful tutorials on YouTube to get you up and running. I’m no graphics expert, but it is pretty easy to learn pant.net with a little patience and some basic computer knowhow.

‘GIMP’ its free, enough said :laughing:

Cheers David

Yeah GIMP is a great, powerful alternative to Photoshop.

Also, those pics are looking great!

I downloaded paint.net to look at it, it doesn’t seem to have a background eraser. Just an eraser. They are not the same, a background eraser only erases pixels similar to the ones under the tip of the mouse. In this way you can trace around objects quickly and the edge is detected. There is a setting for how similar is close enough, and it even feathers into non-focus areas such as the back of the flashlight in the pic I edited. Am I missing something, or is paint.net missing it?

I looked at Gimp a few years ago before buying the stuff I have. It was powerful, but I remember the layout as a clusterf*k.

Joshk, give it another look now, Windows version is a bit different than in this image but not much :wink:

Link to image.
1920 x 1080 http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/imagess/gimp%20example.jpg

Cheers David

Edit:- removed embedded image :slight_smile:

I think you might be referring to ‘Magic Eraser’ on paint.net? It is the wand icon inside the toolbox. The sensitivity percentage can be set with the slide/control above the pic you are editing.

I use Adobe Lightroom for pictures

High speed shots
https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16797241_10210602048380331_3935404865085898745_o.jpg?oh=3eaaaed6a3bf8c15fdee16b971205f9e&oe=59D7C463

https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16836652_10210602049180351_961361066482102194_o.jpg?oh=b811c618678b168cbaef74430ab177a5&oe=59CDB00C

I tried the Magic Eraser but it works globally and wouldn’t do the trick for me. With PSP’s background eraser, you use it like a brush. And adjust the sensitivity as needed as you move around the object. Can someone that knows Paint.net better than me use it to achieve the results like I posted above from PSP?

You can change the ‘Flood Mode’ from ‘Global’ to ‘Contiguous’ to do that.

I had tried that and it made little difference to the effect and sure didn’t work like a brush. Could someone post an edited image like the one I did please? I’m interested in what paint.net can do but am having doubts it can do this task.

Don’t know why you needed to remove the image, but okay.

I want to give another like and subscribe to GIMP. It does have a bit of learning curve, and it doesn’t hold your hand as much as the big paid apps do with automatic adjustments and effects. But it is definitely very powerful and capable once you get to know it. And nowadays, you can trim up the appearance by using the single window option and closing some of the tabs. I’ve used paint.net before too. It isn’t as powerful as GIMP, but it works quite well for the tasks that it can do and it’s a bit more intuitive, so the learning curve is not so steep. It’s kinda nice, in a way.

Sorry I wasn’t able to help you, Joshk. I’m just a beginner, and I don’t know how PSP works.

I’m taking pics of some other items like watches. This is a Casima watch I will be reviewing soon.

I cropped it and changed the background to white using the ‘magic eraser’. I like the dial, but the links look a little yellowish. I’ll continue to play with the settings. I also have to watch for fingerprints :nerd_face:

Well, this is what I did in GIMP just now. So, it proves nothing about paint.net but it shows that GIMP can do it anyway. If I were really wanting to mess around with this image, I would take the brightness back down just a bit and fiddle with the gamma until it really popped off the page. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s keeping you…get your gamma on! :sunglasses:

I actually prefer the picture with a bit of shadow. It looks more real. So I put a bit of shadow back under the light in this one and messed around with levels and such.