DIY Lens Bench for Testing of Optics

Hi guys (and one girl) !

Frustrated with the current budget lenticular offerings, I decided to make a test bench to test lens combinations.

After a few designs were considered and binned, I ended up with some aluminum angle and c-channel. A bit of epoxy (JB Quick) and some rubber coating to protect the lenses yielded the following:

I made several different holders to suit various lenses, and some spacers to adjust lens height.

As soon as I set up the meter and target area, I'll post some pics of those as well.

Any questions/comments are welcome.

Pretty sweet! I look forward to pics of it in action.

great idea! sure beats fumbling w/ them by hand, which I've been attempting quite often...

what size channel did you use? interesting that (it appears) one size seems to work well for so many lens sizes.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.brunnerent.com/ they have a few hard to find shapes.

Where'd you score that big lens?

One of two (75mm and 78mm) DX lenses finally arrived. It is passable, but not great as far as focus. It will definitely fit the HF 109 w/ just a bit of sanding (if I pre-collimate).

That was the impetus behind this project. The bench allows for fairly precise measurements that were previously impossible.

I believe the small stuff is 1/4" channel and the angle stock is 1"

I cut the 1/4" channel at a 45-degrees and epoxied it to the 1" angle pieces. All metal-to-metal mating surfaces were masked off, and Plasti-Dip spray was (over) applied to the rest.

The large lens (81mm) was acquired from a projection TV array, courtesy of FleaBay. The latest Sony lenses are even larger, at 88mm.

Let us know the results of that build! I have the DX lens and have been eyeing that host everytime they put it on sale. I was hesitant to buy since I wasn't sure it would fit!

I sure will, but I've got so many projects going that it might be awhile;)

whoa - never heard or thought of that! which is too bad, since I've seen several projection TVs abandoned by the dumpster at the college where I work...

Most of the lenses I've harvested are AR-coated and of very good quality.

I would take a look (and a Sawzall) next time....

Nice!

It might be an idea to attach a ruler of suitable length to one side so you can more easily measure focal lengths and the like.

Nice little setup Chicago. I too have been saddened by the current budget choices of lenticular offerings.

I don’t know how I feel about Lenticular offerings, but I’m not happy with the lenses I find out there at all! LOL.

Good Idea X!

Soon, when you start making flashlights from scratch, you will be able to determine the correct focal length as you build them and be able to build them custom, to suit your needs!

I'm working out an attachment system for a cheap digital caliper set.

Thanks! I've been having good luck lately harvesting broken photo and projection equipment from garage sales and FleaBay.

Thanks, O-L. You nailed it.

(waves ladle) NO PICS FOR YOU !!!