Do you … ramen?

I got 6 packs of beef flavor, paid $1.36 I think… maruchan brand.

I don't eat it, don't care for it at all and the sodium content is too high. I don't eat any pre-packaged stuff any more.

I sure did eat my share of Samyang when stationed in Seoul 1969-70. Just the thing on a cold winter day, cooked in a mess kit on top of a diesel fuel space heater in the quonset hut.

I seen kids eat a similar product called Maruchan raw, like a cookie, they say it tastes good, I only tried the fully cooked ones and they are OK to eat once every few months.

I don’t, but funnily, the last packet I ate were those Nongshim pictured.

I like it whith a lot of kimchi mixed in and two poached eggs on the top.

just came back from a big supermarket and checked. lots of Nissin brand. small packets, 80g or 100g. no Nongshim brand.

i'll try adding raw eggs!

hard boiled works just as well.

yes, you can eat them raw like chex mix. kinda good.

Oh No ...

Sodaisho (総大将) In Osaka

http://hasshin.livedoor.biz/archives/51415971.html

What is this?

Used to many years back. No more though....that little packet is a sodium bomb.

I rationalize by using only half packet.

the msg content of that little thing is out of this world.

See the bottom of the pic in OP: “NO MSG added”.

I’m not sure that everyone realizes what a step up that version is from what most of us see in our American stores, it is an entirely different product, and very good.

Or, you can try the “Black”:

http://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Ramyun-Black-Noodle-Packages/dp/B0061JWQOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402245198&sr=8-1&keywords=shin+ramyun+black

No MSG, but pricey!

We got some when they were being sold at intro prices, and it was ok, but I’m not sure if I’d pay current prices for it (we haven’t bought any since then). I’ve heard (word-of-mouth) that this wasn’t selling very well, because it’s so expensive.

EDIT: They even have PSY doing ads for this!

I live right across the street from a huge Asian grocery store. I have my pick of hundreds of brands and flavours, and noodle types.

Don’t know any reason why they call it “Black” and even package in Black — when ‘sul-long-tang’ broth is anything but black. IMHO, the “black” theme is a huge marketing blunder. Again, ‘sul-long-tang’ broth has no connection with black. Even knowing what ‘sul-long-tang’ is, I am hesitant to try the “Black”.

I’ll wait until Amazon has a Clearance, coupon, and Subscribe & Save to bring the price way down.

Occasional had them at work or at home if we had left over rice/beef/pork.

Oldest son spent a year in Korea and loved the brands sold there.

A friend’s teenaged son stayed with me for a week and lived on pot noodles - disgusting things. I’ve avoided even “good” noodles since. :slight_smile: