Do you still use incandescent light bulbs?

Bulb breaks are not common, how many have you broken?

No, they aren’t, but they can happen, and if you have some hard dishes or pots or whatever in your refridgerator on the top shelf near the light bulb, there is a chance you could accidentally break the bulb as you slide the dish/pot out of the shelf and it lets loose and slides farther than you wanted.

It’s rare, but it does happen.

Speaking of still using incandescents…
I just now changed two incandescent bulbs in two similar fixtures not used much in rooms not used much… Both fixtures each had one CFL and incan, and I found out that the incan bulb in both fixtures was a Sunbeam 130v 60w bulb… must’ve been from Dollar Tree; and I saw a video about it just recently from Parrot175. Interesting.
I found an interesting 20w SATCO or whatever the name was CFL in one fixture; huge bulb for a tiny room… so I changed that and replaced both with a 9w… bla bla bla…

I usually always remove my items from the fridge before I consume them. Besides, I’m not rich enough to keep a lot of extra food in the fridge. My food usually gets eaten before it has a chance to go bad. :wink:

most of my lighting is high cri t8 and homebrew led.much of it running from 12v dc solar setup.
a few incans like in the oven and boa cages.

I thought I had replaced them all, but then I found one in my wife’s closet the other day………

All exterior lights are now LED. Just yesterday I noticed one of them had already blown. Only got about 3 months out of that CREE.

I still have a few CFL’s here and there, like a light fixture with the standard E27 socket that will only accept a tiny bulb. For that fixture I use some CFL’s that will fit, the LED bulbs I have will not.

In the Master Bath I use round CFL’s as the slow startup time is actually a desired feature. In the middle of the night it is nice to not have that sudden burst of light on startup.

Also in some strategic places I use these:

Notice that CFL puts out 4200 Lumen!

If your going to tell us that monster CFL cost 1 penny i’m going to have to come down there and kick your butt :wink:

I use both incandescent light bulbs and LED’s. I prefer Havells and Syska LED lighting.

We should just walk around the house with a head torch on to only light up what we need to see.

Although we don’t use much electricity with lighting, it’s all of the other kitchen appliances and tv’s.

I buy bulbs for the house and the cars usually in bulk when on sale. The most used bulbs for say the last 5 years were replaced with CFL, and now LED, but leaves a BIG number of legacy rarely used incandescent. Some like the case of F40 in the closet I expect to give away to neighbors once I convert the fixtures.

Major thing holding me back, I expect to see a lot of neat new designed for LED fixtures showing up.

I see lots of other people using incandescent, and since you can’t buy them anymore they must have an old stash since most seem to be in high use areas which should have burned out years ago. I almost want to start carrying a briefcase full of LED bulbs for immediate replacements.

I bought enough incandescent bulbs (100w, 60w, and 40w) to last me a lifetime, before the nannies banned them here. I love the look of incandescent, so use them in most of the household living spaces.

I use CFL outdoors, and in non-living spaces such as the basement.

LED bulbs don’t seem to be very price-competitive with CFL, and they’re not much more efficient. The LED bulbs do cast a much better light color than florescent, but still not as good as incandescent. And, LEDs are sort-of dimmable, while florescents are not.

So, I’ll definitely switch to LED bulbs when they come down in price, but I don’t think I’ll be giving up my incandescents anytime soon. At least, not until the cops come and take me away for using the wrong kind of light bulb.

Just finished replacing all my 4’ flourescent t8s with 24watt 4000k led tubes. Single ended direct wiring. Cost ~$11 each with a few misc tombstone replacements thrown in. Did around 24 of them in about 2 hrs. great output, they do have a split second turn on time, enough to notice. very pleased. You could save a few bucks if you went with the 18w 2700k

https://www.earthled.com/collections/led-t8-tube-replacements-replace-your-fluorescent-t8-t10-t12-lamps-with-led/products/luceco-led-fluorescent-replacement-tube-4-ft-24-watt-2400-lumens-ballast-bypass-direct-wire?variant=2403570948

Well, yes I use incandescents because chicks like heat from above. CFLs and LEDs don’t do it for them. I think that’s the only place I use incandescents.

So that's what chicks like!

yea most of mine are! I still mainly use halogen light bulbs i have a few LEDs and CFLs are banned from my house they are nasty! lol

I should add massive price difference here. We have no 1 dollar LED light bulbs i bought some for half price they where still $6 each for a 9 watt 800 lumen bulb. Compared to Halogen we pay about 2-3 dollars each. But i guess halogens only have a run time of 5000-10000 hours i think? So the LEDs are cheaper and plus the electricity savings also i guess.

I use up incans that I still have. I think only 2 lights in house have them, in winter the heat is not a con…

Trashed last CFLs last week, installed leds. About 8-10eur for proper led bulb and instant start. Cant complain.

My remaining stock of incandesents are used outdoors only. Still tube fluorescents and LED’s inside

Since my last post in this thread over a year ago:

…I’ve moved into a new home. At this time, the only incan bulbs I have left are one in the freezer and one in the microwave.

I’ve migrated mostly to LED. Some are the Lowes/Utilitech bulbs, some are eBay cheapies. One ceiling fan has compact CFLs for now, as I can’t get bright enough LED bulbs in a small enough package to use in this fixture. I have three enclosed fixtures using the 100W equiv. CFL bulbs, as there is no circulation to allow cooling of the LED bulbs. The 100W CFL bulbs are brighter than all but one of my LED bulbs, and are still much cheaper than the current LED offerings in that brightness.

Incandescent light bulbs have been banned in the EU and hence in the UK. I have CFL, and one LED which I much prefer to the CFL now that costs have dropped.

That uses a mere 300W. Did you replace 100W incandescent bulbs with those? Your house must be lit up like a football stadium at night.