Do you still use incandescent light bulbs?

68W, 300W equivalent (at least it’s what they say…)

Live in a studio so not many bulbs but they’re all Ikea’s LED bulbs, 1000 and 400 lumen models. Used to have a CFL bulb that took ages to light up.

At first I did not believe you, but I checked my 30W bulbs are rated at 1900 lumens, so 68W sounds about right. The advert I saw did not make it clear 300W was the equivalent!

I voted for incandescent only. I have never been a fan of fluoros. I tried the Phillips Hue LED system in my home until I realized it used PWM.

I went back to incandescent. If anyone on the US mainland wants to buy my Phillips Hue, PM me.

Using mostly LED in tube format, E27 bulb or fixed plafond.
At garage I have 6 x double-tube CFLs. Also in kitchen some + laundry room.
LEDs at toilets. Only few Incan.

I also use only flicker/PWM free LEDs. I cannot stand PWM indoors…

only incandescent AC bulb i have still in use is the one in the oven.

I still have some new incans on shelf. Using them up at some point as indoor lights at winter time.
(Electric heating mostly so its not a biggie if some of heat comes from lights…)

yes, i do have incans still

in places that don;t get used much, closet lights, hall lights
if you don’t really use a bulb that much, it doesn’t really pay to put a $5 bulb in

places that need weird sizes, candelabras, chandeliers

applications that have dimmers already installed - certain lamps

outside bulbs - only the really expensive leds are weather and temperature proof

wle

What about the fridge?

I used up all my incandescent bulbs:

There is one left in the microwave and one in the fridge.

Cool photos. I’ve still got a few in very infrequently used light fixtures, like the light in the attic as well as inside appliances. I’m mostly all CFL. I have a very few LED bulbs in use. Two in the garage door opener, one over my kitchen table, and one in the light on a timer that runs in the evening. I’m not replacing the CFLs with LEDs until they die and I use up the few I have still new in the box.

I’m in the process of changing to leds, have mainly incandescent or halogen, (the halogens seems to last no time at all especially the candle type ones) have never really liked the cfl bulbs.
Quite impressed though with the simple fit led tube replacements for the standard 5ft florescent fittings, great in the garage and workshop

Replaced all the icans and cfls, in some places replaced several times once the better temp lights became available. especially pleased with the 4’ tube replacements, really bright 4000k. I picked up an outside flood reportedly 200W however it was 3000K. I dont know about the 200 W but it is one bright light! cheap too, $70.

Got loads, in weird places I hardly ever go or fittings that are only on for a minute or two at a time. One in the oven obviously. Got an LED in the fridge - not cost-effective but brighter and more fun :slight_smile: Now got a spare incandescent fridge bulb, which cost more than the LED ones! Still got a set of low-voltage downlights on a dimmer that would need a new transformer to work with LEDs, low power, not used that often. Any bulb that is used most days, for more than a few minutes, is a CFL or LED. Lots of CFLs still, not cost-effective to replace them but I’m unlikely to ever buy any more.

Have changed most bulbs to led, learning by doing and buying two at a time. Some are three years and none are broken.

Most are E14 and E26/27 at 400 to 800 lumens. Also some with less than 2w as night lights.

Next to try out will be T8 light tubes for the garage and filament leds for lower watts like 6W-800L.

Just wondering, how are people finding the house led bubs they have fitted thus far, in terms of them not failing, especially the led filament type?
I’ve changed a few, mainly t8 tubes to led and have one dimmerbal filament type, which whilst nice, was not cheap so hopefully it will last a good long while.
I Just remember when cfl first came out, I rushed to change to those, but most didn’t last very long, so I changed to halogen, but I’m forever changing them.
So I’m a bit reluctant to rush into changing to led after my previous experience

Cheers

I just bought the “generic OK-branded” locally.
Sure, they are assembled in China but some of them have been burning in intense use over 3 years already.
I use these, msotly http://www.airam.fi/kuluttajille/lamput/tuote/5602/
The 9W is my preferred choice most of times.

I’m in the process of swapping everything to leds…
but i NEED a 100W incand under the cat house located outside… as a heater for winter time. He loves it!

Patmurris you might want to check out something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Extreme-Weather-12-5-Inch-18-5-Inch/dp/B0009YWJRE

It is more expensive than a light bulb at $32 US dollars but it will give your cat more direct heat
while using less electricity and lasting much longer.

Pretty nice indeed… I had no idea.
I’ll keep it in mind for the next cat if i ever take one again. My current one is already quite old and i’m not sure it will still be there next winter… Well that’s what i say every year.
Thanks for the tip. :wink: