DRY 3xT6 vs TR-J12 5xT6 - Which one?

Thats why I have not brought one ;-)

lol is that sarcasm? I’m not sure I get the -10c stuff. are you saying the dry overheats super quick on turbo?

Yes

It's a big easily holsterable pocket rocket that outputs a lot of light. So the fast heating up is to be expected. For flashaholics' fun use that is usually not an issue.

lol.. awesome.

anyway.... whats the low-down on the runtimes of the DRY?

I´m also interested in these lower mode runtimes. Should be quite long with 3-pack of 18650?

It is about 0.2A in the low mode, and slips down to like 0.15A or even lower. So that's pretty long, easily 20 hrs till cut off.

Looking forward to the reviews as well as beamshots!

DRY - Toyota Vios with 3 litre Honda VTEC high-lift cams, does 300kph top speed.

TR-J12. Ford Taurus, bigger fuel tank, with a 5 litre engine taken from the F-150, speed limited to 220kph.

Take both for a drive on an unrestricted highway like the Autobahn through several countries @ top speed.

Not all drivers drive at top speed for extended periods though. In fact, rarely.

PS. WOW a Ford Mustang is only usd22k!! And that's MSRP! So affordable!

My expernce tells me you would be better off with the 5 ltr ford, you can still kill your self at 80 kmh.

To me turbo mode that you can only use for 20 seconds is not that usefull a torch you can run on high mode for an hour is of more use.

I predict 3 x 4000 mAh 26650's would give you more run time in the TR-J12 then a DRY running 3 x 3100 mAh 18650's and the TR-J12 would run cooler but you might have a bit less lumens.

That with the fact I think the DRY is ugly and turbo mode does not realy do it for me I did not buy one, but I brought the TR-J12 as soon as I could.

Just my opinion..

Well that Toyota has a roll cage, so no worries. The DRY also has a 4 levels, or think of it as 5-gears plus a Turbo boost button.

Here's how a Toyota AE86 smokes a R34 Skyline. LOL!

I will be using DRY at -10C, and below. when it gets windy at those temps you won't find me outdoors for long.

so, even if sarcasm was intended, which I doubt, it is a realistic scenario.

I am not getting any of them, I was tempted by the DRY but I gave up, due to I feel it will not be very comfortable in my small hand.

Both have their pros and cons, the Trustfire will have a better runtime, and it should be more efficient due to having 5 XM-L vs 3 XM-L, but lets see how good is the driver, such a big light with a bad driver would be a pitty, against the DRY which at least it is known it works, and there are replacement drivers, I don't know of any available yet for the Trustfire, which I feel should have a turbo of 10A/2A per led at least, but I do not feel the one that comes with it will handle that much.

If you truely want a good relible 3 x Xm-l it would have to be the trustfire TR-3T6, Its proven, cheap replacement drivers but they are not needed, easy to find replacement bezels, glass lenses(the ulc lense fits), battery tubes and tail cap switches, o-rings and so on with a beefy screw in.

3 x Xm-ls are old news now most of us have been waiting for 5 or 6 Xm-l's most of us skipped the fry ray and now the trustfire is here. It is to much hastle for me to pull batteries Off charge early for the dry so I don't fry any thing.

from resurch on here the new TR-J12 pulls higher lux readings then the TK-70 and the dry DD, turbo mode the dry would pull higher readings (but they are not constant current so not constant brightness lux readings all depend of cell voltage) only for a short time till heat sag kicks in.

Hey benckie, where did you see that the TR-J12 has higher ceiling bounce readings than the TK-70/DRY? I don't think so if you are posting about that Solarforce modded with U2, that one is too low. There is another "control" with the Trustfire SST-50.

Your crazy.

Honestly I could not see people using the dry on turbo mode for 10 mins in minus 20 degrees centergrade.

10 seconds on turbo mode in the back yard showing off yes I can see that.

I was going by your post in the dry and TR-J12 threads, I could of got it wrong, I'm on my iPhone...

Why not? I used it for 3 mins even over here......you can calculate how much it sags and the relative output level. The DRY has been documented by a lot of people actually.

Just use it in High, Med or low if you want longer runs. I sometimes use the DRYs but mostly the SWM M20C and TK70 as night lights. The TK-70 has logged thousands of hours and the M20C/DRY hundreds of hours.

But as a disclaimer, don't try to gun it like nuts and then claim from Ric if yours spoils because "you forgot to take due care and forgot". I am not responsible. heh.... Caveat Emptor.

i'm assuming you're joking, since I've said nothing of 10 minutes?

I haven't had any coffee yet, but by my calculations 3 x 18650s that can do that don't exist yet...so I certainly haven't tried to imply that...

how cold does it get in western australia?

when my dry arrives, you can bet I will be testing it, with a temperature probe, multimeter, and video camera, at temperatures well below freezing. Will it run for 10 minutes on turbo? Probably not...will it run a lot longer than 20 seconds?

I already have the TR1200, and it is most of the time resting on a shelve, that is the main reason I am giving up getting this monsters, I would prefer a 1/2 26650 configuration, but there is none like that yet, there are or 2/3 batteries or just one..

Another one I would like to see, is a 2+2 18650, same body design of the fenix tk35, but being able to use just two batteries or four.

I reckon I might ask too much, but to tell the truth I do not usually carry the big ones.