DRY 3xT6 vs TR-J12 5xT6 - Which one?

The reason I like the Dry so much is its ability to tailstand and use as area lighting. That is why I want to have about three of them and also why I like the WW version. Tailstand about three of these and set them to medium or low and you got a lot of emergency lighting.

The Dry also fits well in a jacket pocket

The best thing about the Turbo model is that it doesn't have blinky.

I am taking edc's advice though and am getting both. My TR-J12 5xT6 should be here at the beginning of next week.

Nope but if you read the whole post 2100 said 10 mins not me I think that's nuts, all the best with you freezing temp test, to cold for an Aussie.

lol i see, its all good. I am crazy as hell dude. I mean, come on...after all, my avatar is a guy riding a nuclear bomb...

and as far as the cold temps go...I'm no tough guy, headed out in these low temps, in fact, I have a very low cold/hot/pain tolerance - I just know how to stay warm...

Thats a good one being able to tail stand ! You new TR-J12 should be able to tail stand and the 26650 battery tube should make it reasonible stable

Its 15c here tonite with a light breeze and a dribble of rain and I'm bloody cold almost time to spark up the wood fire

True, I hope. But nothing tailstands like a soup can.

lmao, that's actually a better simile than a stovepipe...

I don't claim to be the smartest flashlight guy around, but why would the TR-J12 be viewed as a brighter option vs the DRY when it's pumping 1.5A to each emitter? Just because it has five emitters versus three doesn't necessarily make it brighter. Obviously it will run longer and last longer, but that's also what multiple modes are for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this light. I'm just curious of the reasons why some assume it should be brighter. I also wonder why they decided to cap it at 1.5A when an XM-L chart clearly shows it can be just as efficient even close to 3A:

I put this together for my own reference. I took the results from Match, I believe. I could be wrong.

well, if you use the 1.5A x 5 and 3A x 3 figures from this page

http://club.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.-209~threadid.530221

you'll get almost exactly the same emitter lumens.

So, based on that alone, the DRY in turbo mode is brighter - but for a very limited time. Isn't DRY High mode 2.5A each emitter?

So for sustained runs...assuming what we've heard on the trj12 is accurate...it (edit: "it" as in trj12) will be brighter. It will also be more efficient and can take higher capacity batteries (further extending runtime at high brightness). The external cooling features at least look superior, so it might suffer less brightness sag due to heat.

Also, it will be 2700 lumens brighter than my DRY after I have one too many cocktails and toast the emitters in it

Depending on beam profile, the brightness difference might not be visually apparent, or it might even look reversed.

So, I'm not too concerned about which one is 10% higher/lower. I think they're both so bright that it is kind of ridiculous...and I love that...it is a big part of the reason I bought one.

I will use the DRY camping and fishing. I sit/stand frequently (long light in holster is a PITA), and wear a headlamp - so it will be used almost exclusively for short bursts on turbo and high...

iow, I don't need the benefits of the trj12...I want max short term brightness and portability...

which one will throw bigger distance? i mean further

It would stand to reason that the DRY would out-throw any of the current 5 x XML offerings.

Throw is controlled by surface brightness of the LED and size of the reflector (or lens.) The surface brightness of the XM-L at either 2.5 or 4 amps is greater than that at 1.5 amps - the typical advertised drive current of the 5-ups.

Until one can overcome the deficit in surface brightness by enlarging the reflector commensurately, this will be the status quo.

Actually I don't see 3A to be anywhere close to 1.5A's efficiency. From the LED calc.xls

1.5A Emitter lumens : Initial 568. Warm 506 (heatsink i put it as 3.5) Times 5 = 2840, 2530 lumens

3A emitter lumens : initial 937. Warm 707. Times 3 = 2811, 2121 lumens

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2525

pretty much what I said, right?

Not really....

quote >> you'll get almost exactly the same emitter lumens.

But you need to level the drive levels, i mean nobody compares a XM-L light at 2.1A and another at 3A and hence declare the 3A is about the same brightness.

3A 3 x emitter lumens : initial 937. Warm 707. Times 3 = 2811 lumens, 2121 lumens warmed

TR-J12 raised to 9 amps = 3280 lumens and 2840 lumens warmed

Or you can do it the other way, lower the 3 x XM-L to 7.5A.

haha, yeah, that's a quote, but the kind a reporter takes from a politician they don't like.

I just meant some people seem to assume the TR-J12 outputs more simply because of the extra emitters rather than considering the drive levels. I still think 1.5A is too low for an XM-L if you're desiring high output. The XM-L is obviously designed to handle more. I don't care if you're adding more emitters - drive that thing to its potential. I get the advantages of longer run life but again, don't we have drivers that can regulate multiple modes appropriately? Why not have a high mode that can take advantage of the XM-L? And I want to go on record as saying the alleged 5.0A Turbo for the DRY is definitely overkill. You shouldn't need anything over 4.0A at the most. I just don't get the 'one or the other' mentality for these two lights. Each serves its own purpose. For me, form factor plays a big part. I also appreciate the TR-J12 being capable of powering from 18650 and 26550.

You can't compare the TR-J12 to the DRY directly. It's TR-J12 compared to Uniquefire 3900, TR-3T6, Sky Ray SR3800, 818/840, Fandyfire etc.... The TR-J12 is then comfortably and visually brighter. Your light will pop fast if it's done at 3A for long. How do you do 15 amps in a 63mm HD flashlight anyway with current battery technology doing 18650s and even 26650s? The DRY is a different animal/unregulated. There are proper controls and ample warnings, and now with the new driver there is even a step-down timer. Stuff like TM11 even have extremely aggressive thermo-regulation in its initial batch...

When DRY comes out with a slightly bigger DRY 5X and then we'll see...

We have been discussing this for ages in at least 4 threads here and CPF and close to 2000 posts? LOL! The same topic comes up again and again...

oh, I'm sure it won't be too long before somebody here is over driving the trj12. I think they don't sell it that way because they don't want to have to add the 'flashaholics mode' caveat, or get a reputation for burned out emitters.

i think turbo is direct drive - so it isn't regulated to 5A but reportedly reaches that w/ capable batteries? I agree that going over 4 is overkill - not much gain there but plenty of extra heat. too bad it isn't regulated to 4A. I'd like that a lot.

HEY - you know something we don't?! ok, so why wouldn't they...but still, you better not be holding out on us:)

I'd buy it next week if it came out lol I think the same light w/ just a bigger head wouldn't be quite as fugly.