Eagle Eye X6 Group Buy *Crash Test of the Sample - Pics & Vid added 9-6-14*

I posted the comparitive numbers at the bottom of the OP. Will try to get some beamshot comparisons tonight.

Stock not “that bad” for $18.89

Let’s hope the custom BLF build is higher…sure but let’s hope not that high…can’t wait!

I suspect the manufacturer is hesitant to exceed the maximum amperage as listed by Cree for their emitter (3A). While we overdrive the XM-L2 all the time, I don’t recall seeing many manufacturers willing to do so.

With that in mind, the 3A we’re seeing is pretty understandable.

I used a clamp meter and soldered a short 20ga loop into the negative lead on the star to get actual emitter amperage. I found it to be 2.88A. Then I stacked an R140 on top of the existing R120 sense resistor and and tried again. Now my sample is making 3.63A at the emitter for over 1220 lumens start, 1163 at 30 seconds. This is the same emitter, reflowed to a 20mm Noctigon star and with 22ga Tenergy leads.

Going to a tail measurement with the clamp meter showed me 3.93A. So the circuit in the light itself, less the tailcap, is costing 300mA. I don’t know how all the math works on that, but it looks pretty efficient to me.

So it’s really a simple single resistor add-on to get this light into very nice territory. :wink:

FWIW, I pulled the R140 from a previously replaced X6 driver.

Okay Dale, a followup - received the calibrated DMM from CK today (thanks CK!) and retested my modded X6 that I bought a few months ago and measured tail cap amps using a Samsung 20R and got these results:

Hi - 5.7 amps

Med - 4.2 amps

Lo - 0.9 amp

No wonder it gets so frickin hot so fast, I'm pushing it way beyond limits.... in true BLF form!

Maybe I should only use 1 added R100 per side instead of two, hmmm, naw me thinks I'll leave it like it is.

Potent little rascal isn’t it? :slight_smile:

max - I used one R075 and got 4.50A at the tail, figuring it would about double the stock amps, which it did. I migrated the XM-L2 U2 3C to a Noctigon, wired up the springs, GC Extreme under the star, sanded the pill top smooth, 22 AWG wires. The 4.5A is still pretty high, but I do like the power in a small light.

Dale - did you use the 35.0mm size UCL/p lens on the X6? I have the UF-M6 and the stock one measures 36.0 mm, so wondering how many to order. Definitely want one for the X6.

Ohh - the damage is not too bad. The XinTD X3 faired bout the same from simple drops.

What a champion!

I expected far worse in regards to scratches, scuffs, and gashes. Very impressive.

Looking forward to the video. :slight_smile:

Tom, yes the 35mm fits perfectly.

Heh, interesting drop test. Funny how almost all of the damage is on the tail and head. I thought that the lens would have broken in a drop like that, since there are no O-ring between lens and the flashlight body. And I really would not have guessed that the battery would be damaged, since it is protected by springs from both sides.

That literally a CRASH test :open_mouth:
I guess you’re very happy to find out it still working good (after changing battery).

Btw, how you persuade your wife to do that? :smiley:

She saw in the rearview mirror how close it came to my head and won’t do it again.

I was in the hospital last weekend and made jokes on the way home, how would she explain taking me back in with a concussion after “throwing a flashlight at me”. She was cracking up and could barely drive. :slight_smile: They ask, in the hospital, “Do you feel safe at home?” I joked with her on the return trip,” At home, yeah, but away from home she throws stuff at me! Scared to go home, I’ve got a lot more flashlights!” :smiley:

Will have a video up in a little while showing the battery and exchange, the light functioning normally and a rotation so you can see all around the light. Remarkable the shape it’s in.

Most springs in these lights are conical, with an overlapping coil style. When you press the spring all the way down it stacks on top of itself making a pyramid. The impact to the head was at one point apparently of sufficient force to compress the spring in it’s entirety and press the top of the flat top cell in. Similar to the damage you might expect in a twisty or “battery crusher” style light.

I tested this cell on my DMM a little while ago and it still shows a charge, but is it something that is usable or should I now toss this cell (recycle)?

By all means, I'd toss it. Not worth the potential risk.

Although possibly still usable, but imo, not worth the risk. Better toss it.

I had a Sony VT C5 button top in it before the test. :slight_smile:

Dale,

You could find a cheapy charger, connect it to a long extension cord, and then place it in the middle of the yard. LOL

As far as the ruggedness of these Eagle Eyes is concerned - it is exactly as I have said. The ano is true milspec and the aluminum is not your typical grade. Not sure what grade aluminum they use but it is hard as hell - as you have truly proven.

I bet when Banggood sees this test that he will ask you to post the video on their site and also ask EE for a new tailcap...strictly for cosmetic reasons.

You are crazy! In a good way but still :-) Love it LOL

We’ll just call that an Accelerated Industrial Experiment. It was, after all, just off Industrial Blvd in an Industrial Park area. :slight_smile:

Thanks Dale for risking flashlight and life for the greater good :bigsmile:

The X6 fared surprisingly well, judging from the video and pictures. Thanks for doing this in the name of science! In the future, I believe a goalie helmet is in order.