Economical soldering station

Full voltage range T12 compact station

Seems a terrific deal at that über-low ($24’04) price!

Cheers :slight_smile:

P.S.: the power cord can be easily swapped and/or modded.

I over-analyse things too. :open_mouth: But sometimes that’s the way to learn.

I normally set mine at around 400°C when soldering on the driver and something like 600°C when doing a spring bypass to get the heat into the spring so the solder will melt.

Basically the thicker the metal you’re soldering the more heat you’ll need, if you have the temperature set too low you’ll have to apply the soldering iron for longer which isn’t what you want when soldering delicate item’s on a circuit board.

It’s important too to use the correct soldering iron tip so you can make good contact with what you’re soldering so there’s a quick heat transfer which will melt the solder.

Did you meant ºF?

Yes, but no. A good temperature controlled iron/station is supposed to monitor the tip’s temperature in order to keep it around the value specified, to prevent overheating critical components, for example. That does not mean it is limiting its power output: it should heat up (nearly) as fast as if the temperature limit were to be set at the max value (“nearly” just because of the slight initial thermal inertia the iron has when its temperature is set higher). The temperature limit is defined for the “climate control” unit’s brains to switch off the heater once the temperature has reached (slightly surpassed) the set value, and keep it reconnected for any value (a smidge) below.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Salvador

Well, after reading some stuff about soldering iron recommendations on a spanish forum, it seems like this is the way to go from a relatively budget minded standpoint:

Hakko FX-951 (clone?) BARGAIN

For those looking at über-high end stuff, they were speaking out of my iron’s brand (made in Spain FFS) and they seem to be manufacturing soldering irons with integrated computer workstations for watching some pr0n while you’re at it: JBC Soldering Tools
NOT budget minded… :person_facepalming:

Cheers

Cheers to you and everyone, just as I am almost in paralysis due to over-analysis, there appears an opportunity I feel compelled to pursue. I will order this Hakko (clone?) tonight, and many thanks to everyone for all your help :slight_smile:

I have too many things going on lately, tomorrow 6:45 A.M. at heart hospital for Dads surgery at 87 years young. Thanks to your help I can take one project off my mind and it feels good.

So I guess that just about does it, oops, I should get some tips for this. Earlier in this thread it was suggested a different brand of tips rather than Hakko. If someone would care to donate a link to some nice tips, maybe 3 or 4 or 5 pieces total in a couple of specific sizes for EDC work, I will also get that order in.

Thanks again for all your help and I will be sure to get a picture uploaded on my first mistake, er, I mean my first successful attempt at EDC modding. :person_facepalming:

I meant to include this link on tips, but not sure of the sizes I should get. The seller is top rated.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HAKKO-Tips-T12-ILS-T15-ILS-Soldering-Tip-Shape-I-Conical-solder-iron-bit-Welding-Nozzle/2055161662.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.20.cBv4tW&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201602_4_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_508_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=c2daba9f-9846-4a9f-9f54-9c9607804506

These are not genuine tips (checked it out on the feedback).

Reported genuine T12 5×tip pack
I’d feel much better ordering these.

Regards,
Salvador

Congrats on the decision Don. That looks like an interesting system. After time has passed and you have used it a bit, please update us on how it’s working for you.

Been wishing the best for your Pa’s surgery this morning. My mother recently have heart surgery and I know it’s nerve wrecking waiting for the doctor’s word.

Thanks again for everyones help and kind words. Pops doing much better. Lately too many things are prioritized ahead of posting in BLF and I am glad to finally respond that yes,my first pics will be shared here. Most likely humorous. I’m looking forward to learning some soldering technique.

Beautiful weather here the last week or so, hope it’s great where your at :wink:

Nice!

I've been somewhat busy here at the forum all these days, entertainingly cursing here & there (example: “… are fuck1ng expensive…”). O:)

With regards to health issues, I don't think there's any need to involve oneself on others' dramas, I myself have had enough; however bringing useful help whenever possible always boonful is. In these regards, Vianna Stibal and those around her seem to be doing quite an inspiring work. Just a side note.

Cheers

You have me laughing Barkuti! Right On :laughing:

This $90 X-Tronic #4010-XTS unit tempts me so.

Been using this solder for about 1 week. It's a great value, but doesn't flow as well as the higher end solders like the one I recommended above in Post 9. I'm using this Sincon for most stuff now. But when I want to use lower temps or make sure it gets done right with one attempt, I used the higher end stuff.

Is that higher end stuff available in rolls smaller than 1 lb? I was sticker shocked but I would like to have some on hand, preferably about a half pound roll considering it isn’t used as frequent, and cheaper on the wallet.

Gracias

Well, I understand that stuff you recommended may have a more precise eutectic Sn/Pb mix ratio, allowing for somewhat slightly lower fusion temperature, and/or better flux.
After using dreadful lead-free solder for a (very little) while, the Sincon was a godsend.

Cheers

Anyone tried this Kaisi solder stuff? Of course, it's not that cheap.

Cheers ^:)

De nada.

Holding a small quantity seems a smart idea. I think you will find Sincon (Barkuti’s suggestion) very satisfactory for most of your soldering needs. The first time I purchased Kester 44, I bought 15ft from seller “howudoin60” (I know, the name almost kept me from ordering from him/her). It seemed to be the real deal. I liked it so much that I purchased a pound after using it up. I bought the pound from a different seller because of much better pricing. Here is a search link specific to the seller howudoin60:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?\_odkw=&\_ssn=howudoin60&\_osacat=0&\_from=R40&\_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xkester+44.TRS0&\_nkw=kester+44&\_sacat=0

Or just search all vendors using “Kester 44” as the search term:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?\_from=R40&\_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&\_nkw=Kester+44&\_sop=15

In terms of solder - don’t be a cheapo.
Good solder isn’t that expensive (search for “Stannol HS10” - it’s one of the best solder available.) but is makes your soldering much easyer and more successful.

Can you specify which exactly Stannol HS10 you use? There are different versions and different wire thickness with this.

Sn62Pb36Ag2 or Sn60Pb40 if you want the HS10

I would’ve said Sn63Pb37 instead of the Sn60Pb40 but I don’t think you get the HS10 in that content.

0.8mm to 1mm thick will do for most thing’s, the 0.5mm which I have is too thin.

Or any other Sn73Pb37 solder, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Stannol but as long as it’s decent quality.

Don’t forget that these solders contain lead, I use a small fan to blow it away so I don’t inhale it.