everyone list their light fails

I fixed my DV-S9. Turns out the slide switch doesn’t work at all backwards (even though it fits, and looks just fine). My nephew unscrewed the retaining ring and it had fallen out.

But I almost forgot about my ShiningBeam Mini (I?). I bought it before I discovered BLF, and I can’t keep that thing working. I’ve replaced the switch, tightened the retaining rings, and other things I can’t even remember. Every time I think I’ve found “the” problem, it works for a few days and then just stops. Again. Could be a nice, cute little light if it wasn’t an utterly useless piece of garbage.

Hjeh, I couldda told ya that. :smiley:

Hall-effect sensors are polarity sensitive. The HE sensors I played with need to be hit with the S side of the magnet. You can hit it with the N side of the magnet from the other side, but it’s less sensitive. Physically farther away, and needs to go through the baseplate the chip’s mounted on.

For a while, I was wondering what that ring is for, ’til I unscrewed it, then saw that that’s how the slider goes in. :smiley:

At least 30 or 40 lights, the worst offenders are twisties.

OMG.

Yeah, if only I had known to ask. My nephew got to play with my DV-S9 for a while, and he was clever enough to figure out how to unscrew the ring and lose the magnet. When I found it (yay) it was so symmetrical, it didn’t even occur to me that there might only be one right way to re-insert it.

Yeah, kids just do that sort of thing. It’s kind of in their job description.

That’s why God invented benadryl, a/k/a “Pedia-Shhhhhhhh!”, a/k/a “Mommy’s Li’l Helper”.

Last summer I went to visit someone who had some kids. Older, like… unno, I can’t even guess kids’ ages, as they all look alike to me, but definitely not that retarded stick-a-PB&J-into-the-VCR age. I had my tablet with me, didn’t want to leave it roasting in the car, so brought it inside.

“Ooh, can I see it?”

“Okay, but please be careful, ’cause it’s expen$ive.”

They’re looking at things online, and banging on the screen with their fingers, like to make it listen better or something. “Whoa… hey! Easy…!!

“C’mere, Jenny, don’t go banging on that.”

“Okay…”, and she tossed it onto the kitchen table like a frisbee from like 3’ away. (Not even maliciously or anything, just “kids-being-kids” levels of retardery.)

And this is why we can’t have nice things…

Needless to say, I don’t let kids touch my things.