Favorite places to eat

I haven't been thru West Texas in over 10 years, but back then the absolute best was Big John's Barbeque. I have traveled every state east of the mississippi river and half of the ones west of it. That was the best place I have ever eaten at for barbeque. There was also a place near Big Bend National park, in Alpine, TX (almost 20 years ago, man I'm getting senile...). That was the biggest and best T bone I ever had. Little dumpy place and the food was absolutely the best on earth. Only time I ever had a steak that I could cut with a knife and literally found out what melt in your mouth means. Everything else is just junk food.

We eat at home now and I'm the chief cook & bottle washer, we don't go out to eat any more. My cooking is comparable to any local 24 hour diner (on the night shift).Tongue Out

Cheap ,fast, filling and close to home. No getting in the car or riding the iron horse to get to my "go To" pizza shop. Italian Village http://www.yelp.com/biz/italian-village-new-york

I usually prep my own meals but once a week or so I will roam the streets hunting for something to eat that will not agree with me the next day, but will be tasty :)

BetweenRides come down to St.Louis for your "scattered and smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, capped, topped, country" potatoes.

My favorite Mexican Restaurant is a little independent place in Sulphur Springs, TX call Los Mochis. It is NOT fancy, but the portions are large, the food is good, and the pricing is excellent. If you are on Galveston Island, Salsa's on the seawall is a nice place, I really like their shrimp fajitas.

I really like breakfast places. My favorite is IHOP, and fortunately, I have a really good one locally. Denny's is my second favorite, but I don't like their pancakes as much, plus they have removed my favorite meal item (meat lover's scramble) from their new menus. Cry

In the Garland/Mesquite area, there's a place called Chan's that I love... It's like a Chinese fast-food restaurant. They have a window into the kitchen so you can watch them cook your food. Huge portions (2 can eat from a single dinner), excellent food, and great prices. I will plan trips when I am passing through the area so I can stop to eat there.

When I want steak, I always cook it myself. There is a small independent grocery store (http://www.skinnerscornerstore.com/meatmarket.htm) in my area with an excellent meat-counter where you can usually count on getting excellent ribeye steaks. I vastly prefer steaks I have grilled myself; I have a horrible time with getting a steak fixed the way I like at steakhouses. (Saltgrass is the best I have ever eaten at though...) I like my steak medium-well, they always fix it medium or medium rare. And if you send it back, all the juices get cooked out and it comes out over-done. Actually, the best-cooked restaurant/steakhouse steak I ever had was from a Texas Roadhouse. Noisy and too much of a bar-type atmosphere, but the food is good...

<edited to add...>Okay... I also like Pappadeaux cajun/seafood as well. It's priced well out of my normal budget, but I have gotten to eat there occasionally. I always get the fried crawdad platter; those and their onion rings are excellent. I had their etoufee once and did not like it; others with me that day said it wasn't very good either, so I think they just had a bad day... I haven't eaten it since though...

In Paris, TX, a place called the Fish Fry; all you can eat catfish, and it is EXCELLENT!

I also have a weakness for Chinese Buffets; I have found a few I like, and a lot I don't. New Hupei in Longview, TX is one I enjoy regularly.

Just opened in my area and my current favorite is "The Tilted Kilt". Are you a straight, red-blooded man? Go there NOW...don't walk, RUN! Amazing treat for the eyes, excellent atmosphere and, surprisingly, really GREAT food at good prices!

When I'm in the mood for meat there's only one place I head to in my area and that's Grumpy's BBQ Roadhouse! Simply phenomenal food and great roadhouse atmosphere. Tuesday night bike nights during riding season include a free pulled pork sammich and a live band. Good times! The Gumbo and Jambalaya are fantastic too and my favorite thing to order. How can you argue with a big bowl with the following:

"Try one of our many varieties of authentic Cajun Gumbos while they last, as we only make one kettle a day of the most delicious Bayou staple. They are a bit spicy as they should be. Look for Andouille, Shrimp, Crab, Chicken, Gator, Cactus, Steak, Rabbit, and what ever else we find to throw in. OOOOOOOOOH-WEEEE they are good!"

For Mexican food I head to "On The Border" and always get the Big Bordurrito.

Honestly ... my mums kitchen/dining room ;-)... I have yet to find a restaurant that comes even close. Luckily I am able to steal some recipes from time to time.

JohhnyMac, we've had the Tilted Kilt chain in the Midwest for about 2 years. I don't go very often, though, always makes me feel like a dirty old man. The truth hurts, eh? :-)

Vectrex u must be Italian +1 for the mom also here xD

No, my Mum is German but she can cook Italian... real Italian btw not just the tourists version of pizza and spaghetti. Besides that can she can cook German, Mediterranean , Asian dishes. Show me a restaurant that does all that equally well... but now I have a problem, highly regarded restaurants taste only ... "meh" ... to me. Spoiled to the max... ;-) La mamma ... is not replaceable ... too bad I live several 100s KM away.

Oh, not at all. I'd be the first to tell you I'm a dirty old man. ;)

really hungry...getting grumpy now

wimpy's burger basket in rochester, ny. best garbage plates around. if you havent had a garbage plate, you havent lived!

fyi, not for the tofu/hummus crowd.

Brian

So I look at JohnnyMac's location, realize the Kilt should be fairly close, and go to there home page via the link. That home page is about as much excitment as I'm allowed to have without a chaperone. That solo brunette is something else!

Might not be the best place for Mrs. Cone and the kids, but I'm for sure stopping the next time I'm driving through Allentown.

So, what groceries is this available in, or, at least where do you get it at?

They have a bartender there that is jaw-dropping gorgeous! If you are lucky she will be working when you stop in.

PM me next time you are in my area. Would be fun to meet up and have some beers together!

It's made in Oregon so most stores don't carry it out our way (or if they do, they only carry the Honey Hot, or Plain Honey). To get the Honey Mustard Mayo, I order it in packs of 6 off Amazon and split the cost with co-workers. Usually people want two of these at a time but you have to watch because the Honey Mustard Mayo has the least amount of shelf life compared to the other "Beaver Brand" mustards.

I find it's always very fresh off of Amazon, arrives in about a week, and is relatively inexpensive if you split the order with 3 or 6 people.

Watch who you buy it from... Amazon sells it directly for $18 and some other tool sells it through Amazon for like twice the price...

JohnnyMac, I don't go that way regularly, but I do make a few day trips through Allentown on my way to I78 and points south, so I will let you know. Thanks.

I've been there, trust me you won't be disappointed (food or scenery), but it's definitely not a good place to bring the kids LoL.

Rezolution, I went right to the manufacturer. They sell it in their online store for $3.50 per 12 oz, not sure of the shipping yet. They seem like they have quite a few other varieties too. Thanks for the tip; I love honey mustard!