Fireflies offering Facemasks and N95 Respirators

I think the holiday is over tonight, so hoping mine ship tonight/today.

Nothing shipped tonight. Here it says the Qingming Festival is April 4th through April 6th, so one more day: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/public-holiday.htm

I got a response from Jack on a mistake I made when ordering - He said my order will be shipped in two days.

I also got a message from him saying 2 days to ship and 4-5 days transit

4-5 days transit?? Did you pay the $20 DHL shipping?

Yes I did. Its probably the one reasonable way to get them. Via snail mail its probably gonna take 2 months. And by that time it would be too late

Video tour of a Chinese mask factory. He performs the same quality test as Jack. The 3ply box of 50 seems the same this factory is producing. Looks reassuring, that they are good quality.

Logistic activities got impacted a lot by this crisis, hence going up in shipping prices and going down in shipping efficiency, and that’s what the other sellers from China told me. This Covid19 is no small issue.

Thanks for the sharing. For medical frontliners I guess the transparent, plastic type of mask is more effective in blocking all the droplets and particles, and they are washable and reusable also.

And I read from the news last week, a nurse from one of the hospitals in NY has resigned as she feels that she was not protected well at work. She was even asked to remove her face mask at work, and can anybody confirm if this is true? When we are urging the medical care takers to protect themselves, why would anybody ask them to remove their face mask at work?

Excellent find! The water test is an easy test to do too and would be useful indicator and can at least rule out the mask with poor filtration. I’ll direct this video to Jack’s attention.

Jack said the surgical mask he’s selling is one of the better ones with actual certifications and is hopefully from a factory as professional as the one in this video.

The issue right now with buying masks is while the large tier 1 factories in China can produce top quality masks, they are all booked by government, hospital, corporation contracts leaving the bottom tier factories producing masks for the smaller reseller market like the ones on Amazon, Ebay, and Ali. Many factories were recently repurposed to produce masks during the Wuhan outbreak and have zero previous mask making experience. A friend that is organizing a group donation to US hospitals have been told by their contacts in China that they found many fake or low quality masks being produced so it is important to source from legit factories. This is also what Fireflies found when testing samples from different factories.

But good thing I guess is any face covering is MUCH better than none as shown in the filtration test results I’ve posted above and even our gov recently changed the guideline to recommend wearing cloth masks or a scarf for the general public.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93dzIua3FlZC5vcmcvZm9ydW0vY2F0ZWdvcnkvZm9ydW0vZmVlZC9wb2RjYXN0Lw&episode=aHR0cHM6Ly93dzIua3FlZC5vcmcvZm9ydW0vP3A9MjAxMDEwMTg3Njg0MQ&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjg_4Wc1dXoAhViHTQIHad3A20QieUEegQIBRAE&ep=6

Clickable link at the Forum page for this radio program:

Here’s an article I recently read.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/hospitals-tell-doctors-they-ll-be-fired-if-they-talk-to-press

But it depends on the hospital. While I heard many stories of hospitals threatening their staff for wearing face masks, not all do. The hospital my wife works at told their staff not to wear mask unless they are directly caring for covid patients. She asked if she can bring her own and they said no because it could give others around her the false impression that wearing mask is effective. But she ignores it and brings her own mask to wear anyways. They never told her to take it off.

I think most hospitals would not threaten their staff given they already don’t have enough health care workers amid the pandemic. Also due to the very recent changes in mask wearing guidelines, most hospitals relaxed their no mask policy. I’m sure once the mask shortage issue is alleviated, they will require everyone to wear mask.

Thanks for the link.
I cannot understand the statement above given by the management. So basically they imply that wearing a mask is ineffective? Even if this is true (which is not), isn’t this the freedom and right of the people to practice and wear their own PPE?

And they even went to the extent of forcing people out of job because of this. :person_facepalming:

Yea that’s what they meant because hospitals are just following the US Surgeon General and CDC’s guidelines. Due to the shortage they didn’t want people buying up masks since even our front line staff don’t have enough as explained in this article. It was kind of like a necessary evil to reserve masks for the ones needing them most. The drawback is it increases the risk for the rest of the staff.

Still not shipped - 6 days now, paid for DHL.

Update: just got the PP notification order shipped via DHL -

I ordered masks on aliexpress that claimed to ship from inside the US. Their guarantee was you would receive them in 7 days or your money would be refunded.
On the 8th day they still had not shipped and the seller does not respond to my inquiries.

I filed a dispute with my charge account company .

I did the DHL shipping from fireflies and they haven’t shipped mine yet either. We can’t raise no hell or they might not send them at all. We just gotta sit back and take it. Good luck to all of us.

Updated above - it shipped today!!

are all kn 95 supposed to be the same, as far as thickness? the ones i bought at a pharmacy store in brooklyn, are very thin, and look like 1 layer, inferior to 3m n95 mask big time, even our dust masks with no rating feel thicker, i’m also not a fan of behind the ear bands, i only wore that mask for 2 days i already have broken skin behind the ears, that is like wide open door for a virus to come in. it is easier to remove such design, but that comfort defeats the purpose. it is also not such a good seal compared to around the head design, unless it is tight, but then it damages skin.

maybe fake? Try to light one up like in FF’s video.