Flashlight Photography -an artistic approach!

Thank you for the kind words Suncoaster, much appreciated :slight_smile:

!!

Hereā€™s my tiny MBI CoreTi, about the size of a SD card. With my home made external reflector. Taken as a series of macro shots, 2 sets for stone and light, then stacked and merged.

!!

wow this is impressive!! well done!!

2ā€ light with a little over 600 lumens! :slight_smile:

!!

Here, the little HF running on a specially made High Discharge 10250 Li-ion cell goes up against a Brinkmann Legend LX with a M61 Malkoff drop-in module running on 2 CR123 primaries. While the Malkoff concentrates the beam, the little HF doubles itā€™s power and creates a wall of light. The smoky appearance in the LX pic is a boog. Find the shooting starā€¦

!!

This compares a 2D MagLight (modded with SSC P7, 2 32650ā€™s and a voltage monitor from Western Electronisā€¦note the fiber optic above the switch, by me) a 1D MagLight (JayRob Stubby with XM-L T6, 1 32650 3mode 1000L) Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi at around 115L and the Matchbox Industries HF in Copper with an XM-L U2 600+L on a HD 10250 cell.

!!

Exceptional photos, Xiotis!! The one in the OP is still my favorite. I would love to have a really nice camera such as yours to take some great shots. I try and make do with my old point & shoots and phone but they pale in comparison to the clarity and lens quality of yours. Bravo!

That shot of the Thrunite on top of the Xeno, are you sure thatā€™s a Ti light? If it is, itā€™s painted as Ti doesnā€™t anodize that color. Itā€™s a very nice orange though, a sure thing for Texas Longhorn fans! lol

Some really nice lights here folks, sure is fun displaying em isnā€™t it? :slight_smile: Beamshots are a favorite of mine, to be able to see different set-ups and what they actually do, really nice. I, like many, get a little caught up in throwā€¦living out in the country throw of a few hundred yards or more is still not enough sometimes (coyotes donā€™t take to being spotlighted, by and large) but I also enjoy a wall of light for closer-in work and switchable modes for when that close-up stuff gets even closer. Working under the dash itā€™s not cool to have 1000 Lumens! A hot spot doesnā€™t work well under there either, so thereā€™s different tools for different occasions. Maybe one day I too will have to buy a China Hutch for my growing collection, lolā€¦(Iā€™ll be single then and it will fit my decor) :wink:

Good job, keep em coming!

Ti is the name of the light (Thrunite Ti), it isn't made of ti though.

That explains it! Iā€™ve spent a great deal of time with different set-ups trying for the most vivid Ti anodizing, and while Iā€™ve gotten some amazing colors it just doesnā€™t get thick and vivid. And that is a nice vivid orange on that light! My mom has loved orange all my life, so I immediately thought of her when I saw that one :slight_smile:

Thanks Scaru.

Thanks JohnnyMac!!
If you can shoot such pictures with a normal camera i can imagine what you could do with a dslr and a good lens!! Well done buddy!!

Thanks a bunch! Coming from one with your skills that really does mean a lot. :bigsmile: :beer:

Merci DBCstm!

Your shots are outstanding, in color and clarity. Your camera as wellā€¦ :wink:
Looks like you know to handle very well light and exposure, in general, bravo!

I believe scaru covered your question. It was my mistake that i did not include the full name of the Ti.

It is certainly fun to display our babies here and would be even more fun if you could share more of your quality shots!

@ Xiotis:

Thank you very much for your kind words on my photographs !
To be honest, I gain best results by using some photographic rules like rule-of-third or simple luck.
Especially luck seems to like me in terms of photography and it took me years to achieve the knowledge I got today.

One of my first lenses I bought was the 90mm macro from Tamron, I still got this lens, I would consider it one of my best buys related to photography.
Another great item was a cheap studio flash including softbox and tripod, itā€™s great for indoor macros and tabletop stuff.

@all

keepā€™em coming !

I appreciate it Xiotis! I use a Canon 1DsMkII and 5D MkII. Usually use a 100mm 2.8L IS Macro on the close-ups. I have a RRS macro focusing rail on the way, so these shotā€™s should improve. Iā€™ve been trying to keep my flashlight shots real by using a flashlight to provide the lighting :slight_smile: Recently modded the Brinkmann with a Nichia 219 drop-in and use that with a diffuser to provide high CRI lighting for close-ups of the lights themselves.

Should be getting a ChicagoX modified MagLight head for my Stubby in the mail today, and havenā€™t taken pics of the Solarforce L2P with M3 head yet so Iā€™ll try and get some pics of those up this evening.

Lights and cameraā€™s, what a winning combination!! :slight_smile:

I would like to share some pics, too.

flashlight parts in a clean setting (I really like that type)

flashlights with other stuff

Hmmmā€¦this Tamron 90mm does a really good jobā€¦and this softbox as well although i see some shadow in front :wink:
i use the Nikkor micro 85mm and a micro 40mm. But i think your Tamron is considered a better value overall.

@daleā€¦your canon cameras and macro lens really rockā€¦canā€™t get better than this!!

There are no bad macro lenses, most of them sharp as hell and got nearly no distortion.
Funny, Iā€™ve never recognised the shadows, but I never use the softbox for photographing objects though.
Usually I bounce the bare flash at the rear wall (sometimes at the ceiling), I think that causes the shadows.

Letā€™s call them ā€˜desired by the photographerā€™ :bigsmile:

!!

I agree that macro lenses are much sharper than normal lenses but there are significant differences between macro lenses themselves.

The Nikkor micro 105mm as well as Daleā€™s Canon macro lens are superb. You can tell this not only by the better overall construction but especially for the excellent glass.
Another detail of these really expensive macro lenses is the sensitivity of the lens when you focus manually. The focus ring on those is extremely precise and sensitive.
And as you know, focusing with a macro lens is counted by fractions of a millimeter, if you want a perfectly focus result.

For the shadow in your photo, i was kidding and the desires of the photographer are always respected :stuck_out_tongue:
I have a soft box 60x60 but i ordered a smaller one, 30x30. Saves much more space and is still perfect for small objects.