Forward vs Reverse Clicky

I'm interested to see opinions are equal for both options. In general, I prefer reverse clickies but my usage is clearly different from others.

I would prefer the switch to be just a switch - an alternative method of changing modes is a good thing all round. But it does cost more. If the switch were just for on and off, I'd probably prefer a forward clickie for that.

I like momentary on, so I voted for forward clicky. But if you change modes via the clicky, then a reverse clicky makes more sense. As others have said, there are ways to change modes other than the clicky, in which case I like the forward clicky. I tend to use a light just briefly anyway to see where I'm going and then turn it off again.

I need to get another ITP S series light, gotta love that mode change button close to the head lol. Just one of many examples in light that uses a forward clicky, hmmmmm would also be nice if ITP made one in XML.

Whats more important for me is the UI, if the UI is separate from the power switch, then forward clicky all the way.

If the UI involves the tail, then I'm not so sure, I like the non clicky nature of the forward clicky for short bursts where I can choose mode before clicking it on, however reverse clickys are the norm (can't change to forward in most bodies due to the 2-3mm longer switch for a forward clicky)

End of the day, I don't really buy reverse clickly torches, and I try to find the former.

I vote forward clicky, just my preference. I have noted that no-one has mentioned a mode memory in their lights. I don't like to have to cycle through or deal with "disco" modes.

I tend to use my lights in rather short bursts, on low, for the majority of the time. I'm actually pretty happy in the dark, just not all the time. That's probably why I like my lights to start in low mode, and the next press gives me full power when the UI is hi-med-lo.

I am interested in making my a couple of p-60 drop-in with just 2-modes. I think hi-lo would work just fine.

What ever floats your boat, just stay illuminated!

later,

I've had no problem replacing reverse with forward clicky switches in most of my lights.

gcbryan do you know where I can buy a forward clicky to suit a 501b with little fuss

here are a couple, maybe not drop in but may help

Forward Tactical Click Switch for Romisen RC-G2, RC-29

Forward Tactical Click Switch for Romisen RC-N3, RV-235

Forward Clicky Switch(5pcs) SKU: S005339

here is a how to and the third link is from that site pointing to KD , i wish i would have found these prior too getting some 3 prong reverse ones from dx , the do have their use

here is your easy out if yours is broken , probably a reverse though ...

thankyou very much df2dot

FW clicky - 1 mode lights or multimode lights with, lets say, second button to change modes (Klarus, ITP Sx models, etc.) or twisties (i.e. ITP C7 and others)

RV clicky - multimode and for one hand on/off/change modes lights.

I see that your question has already been answered but I got the Rominsen forward clickies from Shiningbeam. I just bought about 5 while I was at it since the shipping is more than one switch.

They will work in many flashlights that have the standard retaining ring. That's not how they are supposed to fit in. They are smaller and are designed to screw in directly to a Rominsen but they work with any/most larger lights and are just held in by the existing retaining ring.

You usually need to trim a bit of the rubber "stub" from the inside of the tailswitch cover to make everything work smoothly. It's easy.

I've put them in P60 type lights as well as single AA lights. The main exception is if the light is just too small or if the method of holding in the original switch isn't the standard retaining ring but is some one time press fit type like you find in Akoray K-109 type lights.

They also working in a larger light like the Uniquefire HS-802.

The more the number of my flashlights grows, the more each gets used on the same memorized mode for its specific task and the more I like forward clickies.

thanks for detailed insight gcbryan appeciated

I prefer reverse but I have to admit to really liking the forward/momentary/twist whatever it's called, ala 6P. I know it's "tactical" and all that but I also prefer a recessed switch. The 6P would be almost perfect then.

Foy

I still haven't completely made up my mind on my preference. I like a forward clicky that can still tailstand. I had the opportunity to use a tactical tail on my regular Quark for a while and the foward clicky worked much better than I expected with the modes. I may eventually order one of their turbo tails so I can have both.

I think some of it may depend on the quality/fluidness of the switch. A sloppy engagement would cause mode skipping. Seems like I also read that reverse clickies are generally more durable and can handle more current??

i just ordered a light that ships with both a forward and a reverse clicky. I wonder what the default install is?

I don't see that the cycling part is any different with forward vs reverse. It's just when you need to do it. With forward you cycle before you click and with reverse you cycle after you click.

If you change you mind after you click frequently you may want reverse. If you know what mode you want before you click forward works just as well plus you get momentary on.

It depends on how you most frequently use your light (as well as personal preference of course).

My ITP SA2 came with a forward clicky installed and a reverse as part of the accessories . Because the light has a forward switch for mode changes , the forward clicky is good for momentary use and doesn't make mode changing difficult . The reverse clicky allows for tailstanding .

With reverse, you click the light on THEN soft click your way through the modes till you get the one you want. With forward, you soft click for the mode you want THEN click through to keep it on in that mode. Forward also allows you to have momentary on, but depending how fast you go from momentary on, to off, back to on you can be changing modes too.

My pleasure, NZ. Lets just hope I didn’t mess that up as I’m more of a flashlight humorist than a flashlight guru. :stuck_out_tongue: