Forward vs Reverse Clicky

Ya, I’m here as a user, not a hobbyist. What’s so great about BLF, especially compared to some other places, is that there is room/tolerance here for people like us. I truly think I could be friends in RL with most of the people here. Well, at least the ones who don’t have the strong urge to knock me out with a two by four. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait, those people exist? ;)

This only applies when you use a driver that changes modes with power cycling (connect disconnect)

What is not defined in the OP is the type of driver that is being used. I am a BIG forward clicky fan. But ONLY when the mode selection is separate from the switch itself.

Example - TN30 - This has a forward clicky switch. Vastly superior to a reverse clicky in this context IMO because the mode switching is on a magnetic ring. When the switch only turns the torch on/off, then a forward clicky allows for momentary in a normal sense, where you half press to turn on. A reverse clicky requires you to turn on the torch, then half press to turn the torch off, so if you did intend to morse code for example, then you need to invert your message for it to make sense. Mode is handled by the magnetic ring.

In the case of the drivers commonly available where mode switching is handled by power cycling, then Yes, I can see the benefit of a reverse clicky and would prefer a reverse. However I have avoided such drivers unless called for (compact twisties with no switch for compact designs), therefore I sit on the forward clicky side of the fence.

It’s about time some real experts showed up.

To be clear, my comparison was based on flashlights where the UI is all accessed from the rear.

I am just like gcbryan: only forward clickies for me. The only light that I have with a reverse clicky is on a single-mode light attached to my shotgun. This way, if I short stroke the button it won’t be lights out when I need it the most.